Slow and freezing GNex

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
I didn't post this in the GNex forum as that forum is not so busy anymore.
I have a Verizon GNex which I am ready to throw out the window. I will have to live with this thing for up to 4 more months.
The phone is VERY laggy. It is more so when it is in landscape mode and I am trying to type. I often get the popup about an app not responding, I know now to hit wait and it will eventually come back. My wife has a Droiz Razr Maxx which actually has a slightly lower end processor than my GNex but her phone feels so much faster. I

I just recently factory reset my phone and installed CM10.1.3 RC1 hoping to get a speed bump but no luck. I am running the latest Franco kernel at 1.5Ghz. Antutu benchmarks have my phone at a fairly high overall score of 9971. I've noticed though that there is one subscore which is pretty low. That is SDCard Write. It is 48. This is much lower than even a stock GNex gets (According to the Antutu comparisons the Gnex is at a score of 96 for the SDcard write.). I am thinking/hoping that this is the reason for my phone being so slow. Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Thanks

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
How was it after just the factory reset and what version of Android did you end up with at that point? My stock GSM GNex is still quite smooth and i have never reset it. Perhaps you have one or more apps slowing things down? Did you reset it and slowly add back one app at a time to see how it performed?

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I forgot to look at the subscores when I applied the latest ROM. I'll do this when the next CM 10.1.3 comes out.

Thanks.

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I grew tired of my slow phone so I tried something else. I know that flash based storage can slow down as it fills up. My phone was nowhere near being full. I had about 10GB used out of 32GB. (Well actually 28 and change).
So I moved off my photos and videos. I deleted a \mnt\shell\emulated\clockworkmod\blobs directory that clockworkmod had. Now my phone is back to how it was new. I didn't wipe the ROM when I deleted/moved the files. Just removing those files helped. Now I am left wondering how much space I can use before I see a performance hit again.

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Sigh.....Well my phone was faster if I didn't really use it. Today I was out at a store shopping for a replacement router. (Mine died and I needed a new one ASAP)I was doing the opposite of showrooming as I was using Amazon to read reviews. After about a minute or 2 using Chrome, my phone became fairly hot. After it got hot, forget it. It became nearly completely unresponsive. Oh Galaxy Nexus how I despise thee. It really sucks because my original upgrade date was Sept 4, but Verizon pushed everyone from Sept 1 on, to a 24 month upgrade program. I missed it by 4 friggin days. So now I have to wait until Jan.4.....unless I can somehow convince Verizon to let me upgrade. I have unlimited data, and I'd be willing to move to a share everything....maybe that will help me. I've never used more than 4.5GB combined with my wife. (2.2GB is the most I've used alone) My wife is moving to a new job in which she is not allowed to have a cell phone so her usage will go down.
But, I might wait a couple of weeks anyway since even if Verizon agrees to let me upgrade, I don't really want a 4-6 month old phone (S4 or HTC One) so I'd like to wait for the LG G2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith