S3 Mega Battery Drain Issues

fastcaster

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought a new Galaxy S3 in June and have been having trouble with the battery life. I've viewed numerous threads and websites and have turned off almost all features that are available on the phone. I only use the phone for texting, internet browsing, and occasional app usage, but my battery drains incredibly quickly. Here are a few examples of my problems:

1) Last night I charged the phone to 100% and then turned it off. When I powered it on this morning the battery was at 89%.

2) I haven't used the phone once today it is already at 70% life. This has occurred over the course of 3 hours as it has sat in my desk with no usage.

3) When I use a battery application it gives me a normal reading of my estimated remaining battery life. When fully charged the app estimates that I have about 21 hours of usage left. In actual practice this number is closer to 8 hours.

I have no idea what to do. I bought this to make my life easier but it seems like a big headache now. :'( My last remaining idea is to do a factory reset. Does anyone else have any more advice? I've attached two pictures for assistance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-31-11-44-42.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-31-11-44-42.png
    149.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_2013-08-31-11-44-53.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-31-11-44-53.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 12

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought a new Galaxy S3 in June and have been having trouble with the battery life. I've viewed numerous threads and websites and have turned off almost all features that are available on the phone. I only use the phone for texting, internet browsing, and occasional app usage, but my battery drains incredibly quickly. Here are a few examples of my problems:

1) Last night I charged the phone to 100% and then turned it off. When I powered it on this morning the battery was at 89%.

2) I haven't used the phone once today it is already at 70% life. This has occurred over the course of 3 hours as it has sat in my desk with no usage.

3) When I use a battery application it gives me a normal reading of my estimated remaining battery life. When fully charged the app estimates that I have about 21 hours of usage left. In actual practice this number is closer to 8 hours.

I have no idea what to do. I bought this to make my life easier but it seems like a big headache now. :'( My last remaining idea is to do a factory reset. Does anyone else have any more advice? I've attached two pictures for assistance.

Welcome to the forums!
You can try to reboot into recovery and clear cache. That may help if the drain is caused by conflicting data. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

fastcaster

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. This was one of the first things I did, but I went ahead and did it again to see if it made any difference. So far it seems like my battery is draining as quickly as before. I've just finished charging and it's down to 92% after about 20 minutes. Should I go ahead and just do a backup and restore? I really have no idea what the problem is..

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. This was one of the first things I did, but I went ahead and did it again to see if it made any difference. So far it seems like my battery is draining as quickly as before. I've just finished charging and it's down to 92% after about 20 minutes. Should I go ahead and just do a backup and restore? I really have no idea what the problem is..

How old is the device? Have you considered a replacement battery?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

fastcaster

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm not going to spend money on buying a new battery after buying a brand new smart phone about 3 months ago. I guess I'll go ahead and just do a factory reset. I was hoping to find some more personalized advice on the forums, but none seems forthcoming.

angry mustache

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
If it is only a few months old, the battery should still be covered by the warranty. If the factory reset doesn't work, if there is a carrier or Samsung store in your area take it in and have it switched out.

ETA: If you haven't done the reset yet, try booting into recovery mode and wiping the cache partition first to see if that helps any.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo