my smart phone is Acer Liquid E1 running under android 4.1.2
    When I connected Wifi, the icon on the top-right-hand side, showed that it was connected
    BUT color of its icon still was gray. Actually when wifi is connected then user can access the data on that network,
    the icon will become to blue. The 'up' and 'down' arrow will simultaneously show when sending and requesting are processed.

My situation;
    In our house, I got 4 ports Wifi router, billion, to set it as the main router giving us the network via LAN.
    And I also got 4 port wifi router, D-link, setting it as the access point for Wifi only. The distance between them is 10 metre.
    I set the main router to run DHCP, set IP Pool Count at maximum 60 IPs, starting from 192.168.1.33
    ( that means router will give to any device that connect in, just 60 users)
    Then I set access point for channel 1, Channel bandwidth 20-40MHz with WPAPSK and TKIP encryption

I always use smartphone to connect Wifi anywhere not even in our house, and it's work.
    This time, it was not; it still turned in gray and additionally I could not access to the internet via web browser anymore.
    Setting a new IP or switch Wifi button to 'on' and 'off' could not help 100%.
    In DHCP Clients List, every time we connect, it will take device's MAC adress for reporting which device is on the network in that time.
    and it surprised me that it reported as N/A in every time I set IP address for smartphone, not by DHCP service.
    What does it mean, I haven't have no any ideas 'till now.

I assumed once that may be caused by network and access point. But that was not again.
    For given that I tried my samsung with android 2.3.6, connected the same network, then it worked anywhere, even in our house.
    So I could not assume anything about any factors concerned this problems. PLease enlighten me

Remark: now I got two apps for helping my connection problem; Wifi manager and Wifi fix.
    09-08-2013 05:12 AM
    I grey wifi icon means you are connected to a router but there is a break between the router and the internet connection. In that state it will also kill your cellular data connection as well until you turn wifi off.
    09-08-2013 09:08 AM