Ad icons appearing on homescreen...

ToneToke83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
So I am having this problem of these 'ad icons' appearing randomly on my homescreen. They aren't like regular app icons, they appear to be slightly smaller in size. Whether I'm connected to wifi or just regular mobile network they appear. And when I click (touch) them they just take me to some website trying to get me to download some games or other sponsored apps. Usually the site is Appia(?) or something like discoverappia.com or adiconserve.com and then a redirect. I have a Galaxy S4 running 4.2.2, and AT&T is my carrier. Can anyone help or tell me whats causing these ad icons to be installed on my homescreen?

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
A dodgy app or if you rooted and flashed a ROM, a dodgy ROM. I suggest you install Lookout's Ad Network Detector. It'll tell you which apps are pushing ads to your phone, be it to the notification bar, installing icons in your homescreens, or showing them in banners.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This behavior, by the way, is now 'illegal' in the Play Store. Apps that push ads to your notification bar or unsolicited icons/downloads are no longer accepted and, if already there but didn't comply with the new rules, were removed.

ToneToke83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I thought the problem was fixed but its definitely not. I used the app you suggested and was able to find an app that was capable of adding icons to my homescreen without permission. I uninstalled the app and thought I was good. But I'm still getting icons added to my homescreen and the Lookout app doesn't show that there are any other apps capable of doing this. So where does that leave me now? I have not rooted my phone, I do have the GO Launcher and GO Locker installed if that's useful at all....any suggestions?

Posted via Android Central App

NuBzX

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure I had GoLauncher installed and this is the reason I got rid of it.

Was either that or one of the others I was checking out that night.

Appia sounds vaguely familiar for that reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1