*HELP!* Unknown Android OS/Service Process Battery Drain

qwe1rty

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, three days ago this happened..

Screenshot_2013-09-16-20-20-57.png
Screenshot_2013-09-16-20-21-08.png

After some searching and troubleshooting, I've narrowed some stuff down but I don't know what could be the problem.

What is weird to me is that on the closeup line graph the second half plummets much faster than the first half. But at the same time, the second half doesn't nearly have as many wakelocks (as indicated by the "Awake" bar being basically completely empty during that time.

I have no idea what the mobile network colours represent but I never had this problem previously with it on all the time so this shouldn't be an issue. GPS is always on. Again, this was never an issue until supposedly now so this also shouldn't be an issue.

Now, the four big drainers are Cell Standby, Android System, Google Services, and Android OS. Cell Standby I know is due to a missplaced decimal point in the framework, so I know that's just false battery recording. Android System I don't have a clue what the problem is, I read somewhere it might have to deal with wakelocks. But it won't tell me what process exactly is causing battery drain. Google Services are well, google services. I don't know what are classified as google services exactly (like this was never a problem before..), and finally Android OS. Again, the battery statistics thing isn't nearly specific enough so I don't have an idea what the problem is here either.

If anyone has any tips, or fixes or anything then PLEASE, I'm all ears.

I am using the Samsung Galaxy S3, Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

After some searching and troubleshooting, I've narrowed some stuff down but I don't know what could be the problem.

What is weird to me is that on the closeup line graph the second half plummets much faster than the first half. But at the same time, the second half doesn't nearly have as many wakelocks (as indicated by the "Awake" bar being basically completely empty during that time.

I have no idea what the mobile network colours represent but I never had this problem previously with it on all the time so this shouldn't be an issue. GPS is always on. Again, this was never an issue until supposedly now so this also shouldn't be an issue.

Now, the four big drainers are Cell Standby, Android System, Google Services, and Android OS. Cell Standby I know is due to a missplaced decimal point in the framework, so I know that's just false battery recording. Android System I don't have a clue what the problem is, I read somewhere it might have to deal with wakelocks. But it won't tell me what process exactly is causing battery drain. Google Services are well, google services. I don't know what are classified as google services exactly (like this was never a problem before..), and finally Android OS. Again, the battery statistics thing isn't nearly specific enough so I don't have an idea what the problem is here either.

First, Welcome to the forums!
Second, thank you so much for posting battery stats. Very Helpful.
Now, my counter questions are what network? And have you rebooted into recovery and cleared the phone's cache?

hpmini2009

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 81741
View attachment 81742

Send me your email and I will attach screenshots of battery useage after completing a factory reset. Can't get Gallery to copy pics to clipboard. Only had S4 Active AT&T phone since 7/2013. AT&T techs said I wouldn't be able to get back Google Play Store after disabling if I were to do a factory reset. I guess AT&T didn't receive that update bc I was able to do a factory reset and Google Play Store worked. Still has some bug issues w/Google Play Store auto.installing apps I don't want late last night while wifi and mobile service turned off???? Settings inGoogle app also turned off not to install unless wifi running???

Posted via Android Central App

qwe1rty

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
@Golfdriver97: My phone service provider is Rogers. I have cleared the phone cache, but it doesn't appear to make a difference though, and turning off the phone mobile network connection it still drains ridiculously. Reboot into recovery? I'm not really sure what that is, sorry.

@hpmini2009: I don't know what factory reset does, to me it either a) resets the phone's internal operating system (which is okay) or b) wipes everything off, literally a phone off the factory (in which case that would be very problematic). Google app settings to install automatically is enabled but it always has been since I got the phone, which makes it probably not an issue and is weird. Wifi is usually like always turned off. My mom's phone however has it on all the time and it seems to behave pretty normal.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
@Golfdriver97: My phone service provider is Rogers. I have cleared the phone cache, but it doesn't appear to make a difference though, and turning off the phone mobile network connection it still drains ridiculously. Reboot into recovery? I'm not really sure what that is, sorry.

@hpmini2009: I don't know what factory reset does, to me it either a) resets the phone's internal operating system (which is okay) or b) wipes everything off, literally a phone off the factory (in which case that would be very problematic). Google app settings to install automatically is enabled but it always has been since I got the phone, which makes it probably not an issue and is weird. Wifi is usually like always turned off. My mom's phone however has it on all the time and it seems to behave pretty normal.
Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie