Can you block ads without rooting?

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I recently got the new Nexus 7 running 4.3 and wondering if there's a way to block ads without rooting (I mean ads from webpages while using your browser). I had rooted my phone a long time ago and remember there was a great adblock that did the job perfectly. But I don't want to root the Nexus 7.

On my laptop computer, I use AdBlock as an extension the the Chrome browser. But extensions don't exist on the Chrome Android version (at least not that I'm aware of).

I did fine an ad blocker (forgot the name) that used a proxy, but it was a pain as you had to manually add the proxy to every wifi connection and it also wrecked havock on some websites (e.g. couldn't log into e-bay).

Any other solutions? These ads really slow down web surfing, specially when your browser is in "Desktop" user agent mode.

coldjeanz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Adblock Plus works (but you have to configure it yourself like you said) but it wasn't very useful because it seemed to be slowing down my internet and I also could not log into certain websites anymore.

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Not a general solution, but the latest version of Dolphin Browser has an integrated adblocker and Android Firefox has the Adblock extension.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Not a general solution, but the latest version of Dolphin Browser has an integrated adblocker and Android Firefox has the Adblock extension.

Actually, that will do just fine! I already have Dolphin V. 10.0.4 - but I don't see anything in the settings or an add-on that says "adblock". What am I missing? Thanks!

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually, that will do just fine! I already have Dolphin V. 10.0.4 - but I don't see anything in the settings or an add-on that says "adblock". What am I missing? Thanks!
Wow, that's really strange. After reading your post I started Dolphin and the ads are back! I mostly use the excellent and very fast Next Browser these days (no Adblocker included, unfortunately), but last I time I checked Dolphin (about a week ago) there were no ads on several pages I regularly visit. Some had a blue question mark as a placeholder.

I have no idea what's going on.. Sorry for misleading you! But Firefox with the Adblock extension definitely works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes