I recently got the new Nexus 7 running 4.3 and wondering if there's a way to block ads without rooting (I mean ads from webpages while using your browser). I had rooted my phone a long time ago and remember there was a great adblock that did the job perfectly. But I don't want to root the Nexus 7.

On my laptop computer, I use AdBlock as an extension the the Chrome browser. But extensions don't exist on the Chrome Android version (at least not that I'm aware of).

I did fine an ad blocker (forgot the name) that used a proxy, but it was a pain as you had to manually add the proxy to every wifi connection and it also wrecked havock on some websites (e.g. couldn't log into e-bay).

Any other solutions? These ads really slow down web surfing, specially when your browser is in "Desktop" user agent mode.
    09-17-2013 11:28 AM
    Root is a must :-)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    09-17-2013 01:42 PM
    Adblock Plus works (but you have to configure it yourself like you said) but it wasn't very useful because it seemed to be slowing down my internet and I also could not log into certain websites anymore.
    09-17-2013 02:16 PM
    Not a general solution, but the latest version of Dolphin Browser has an integrated adblocker and Android Firefox has the Adblock extension.
    09-18-2013 02:57 AM
    Not a general solution, but the latest version of Dolphin Browser has an integrated adblocker and Android Firefox has the Adblock extension.
    Actually, that will do just fine! I already have Dolphin V. 10.0.4 - but I don't see anything in the settings or an add-on that says "adblock". What am I missing? Thanks!
    09-18-2013 10:35 AM
    Actually, that will do just fine! I already have Dolphin V. 10.0.4 - but I don't see anything in the settings or an add-on that says "adblock". What am I missing? Thanks!
    Wow, that's really strange. After reading your post I started Dolphin and the ads are back! I mostly use the excellent and very fast Next Browser these days (no Adblocker included, unfortunately), but last I time I checked Dolphin (about a week ago) there were no ads on several pages I regularly visit. Some had a blue question mark as a placeholder.

I have no idea what's going on.. Sorry for misleading you! But Firefox with the Adblock extension definitely works.
    09-18-2013 11:29 AM