Contacts slow to appear on my Samsung Galaxy s4 mini

selimlok

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy s4 mini and have realized that my contacts seem to appear on the screen very slow. It sometimes takes upto 2 minutes to appear.
Some thing you all should know is that I have 2000+ contacts (mainly clients).

At first I was using google contacts and i assumed this was causing it to lag due to using data to refresh... but I transferred all the contacts to the device itself... so it shouldn't lag anymore!

When people even call... there name doesnt appear, and only the phone number shows, even though I have the number installed in my contacts.
This is also the case with text messages. When I want to compose a new text, and search for a contact... it doesnt do anything for about a minute or two.

I have opened the developer mode, and changed the animations to off, but this hasnt solved the problem.

If anybody could please help with this it will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Selim

lordfire00

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy s4 mini and have realized that my contacts seem to appear on the screen very slow. It sometimes takes upto 2 minutes to appear.

At first I was using google contacts and i assumed this was causing it to lag due to using data to refresh... but I transferred all the contacts to the device itself... so it shouldn't lag anymore!

When people even call... there name doesnt appear, and only the phone number shows, even though I have the number installed in my contacts.
This is also the case with text messages. When I want to compose a new text, and search for a contact... it doesnt do anything for about a minute or two.

I have opened the developer mode, and changed the animations to off, but this hasnt solved the problem.

Thanks
Selim

transfer your contacts back to google... and make sure that you have auto sync on for your contacts.. then reboot your phone... what service provider do you have?

selimlok

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.
I originally had all e contacts in google, and because this issue existed I then transferred all of them to the device and cancelled contact syncing.
After doing this, problem still exists.

My network is Vodafone.

Cheers

selimlok

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
So anyone have any ideas for my issues???

Ive been searching for days and still have no resolution for this.
Its very annoying.

Hassan A

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello there.

I found this thread which explains exactly what I am facing with my Galaxy S4 Mini. Contact or anything uses Contact (ie email, writing messages ..etc) is very very slow, taking a min or two to open. sometimes I get a pop-up, saying the operation is taking so long, you want to wait or cancel .

I never had this problem with my S3 Mini, is this a known bug with Android 4.2.2 or am I missing something? I tried the Developer options trick, but it isn't helping. please help !!

Thanks

ps1234

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issue. I found out that having the contacts to display limited to my one GMail account fixed the problem. Previously I had several Contact lists being displayed.

Go to Contacts>Settings>Contacts to Display and then choose which list you want displayed

jmacdon

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello there.

I found this thread which explains exactly what I am facing with my Galaxy S4 Mini. Contact or anything uses Contact (ie email, writing messages ..etc) is very very slow, taking a min or two to open. sometimes I get a pop-up, saying the operation is taking so long, you want to wait or cancel .

I never had this problem with my S3 Mini, is this a known bug with Android 4.2.2 or am I missing something? I tried the Developer options trick, but it isn't helping. please help !!

Thanks

I had the same problem, but wiping the cache helped. go to settings - apps - all, find contacts and contacts storage and clear the cache. also in Contacts, hit the menu button - contacts to display - and click just the gmail contacts or your main list. It might help - it worked for me.

tjgriffin

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Anyone? I read there was a bug in 4.2 or 4.3, but that was like a year ago. I'm having this problem too. I have an unrooted VZN GN3 purchased at the end of Jan. It was working fine up until the last week or so. Now, sometimes it takes literally 2-3 minutes for an individual's contact info to display, sometimes it comes up right away. I don't know if this is related, but K9 Mail almost always times out opening a mailbox. The list of mailboxes/accounts come up fast, but when I click one, it tries a couple minutes, then times out. If the message list does come up, opening a message suffers the same problem. I tired clearing cache in both Contacts and Contact Storage. Email and phone, this making my phone useless. I've reboot (not factory reset), reboot my wifi router, cleaned junk files as much as possible. It does this in SAFE mode too. HELP!

Sings4Fun

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm struggling with this too, but I have an HTC incredible 4G LTE. When I go into settings-apps-all-contacts storage, my cache is already at zero. So that doesn't solve the problem for me. Please, can anyone help?

Pierre2020

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I have over 3500 contacts, and my phone worked speedily until it went to Android 4.3... Number of contacts can't be the source of the problem.

Mafar_ka

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem since I moved from Windows Phone to Android about 3 weeks ago. I have the same number of contacts now as I had with Windows; actually even less, as I did some house-keeping by deleting some contacts thinking that would solve the problem. The problem persists, perhaps it has to do with the firmware itself and we have to wait for Samsung to update it.

4uvak

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same issue. I found out that having the contacts to display limited to my one GMail account fixed the problem. Previously I had several Contact lists being displayed.

Go to Contacts>Settings>Contacts to Display and then choose which list you want displayed

Thanks a lot! It really helps.
I went into "contact filters" and switched off displaying all the lists except the one in the phone itself.

John Roselli

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.

Thanks
Selim

Exact same thing with mine. It took 2 hours to download via Wi-Fi. Battery life is white now not green too.

Jay Westmark

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Experiencing the same problem - started happening a few weeks ago, not sure what changed. I have 4-5k contacts.
Tried all the examples listed here but none worked.

Inside the contacts app do the following:
Contacts->Settings->Only contacts with phones (checked)

Config info:
Verizon S4 Mini
Android 4.4.2
Contact Accounts: gmail, touchdown/exchange, Device, SIM, Linkedin, G+