How do I change the text message settings?

Treeroy

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
So I just got a new phone last weekend, and I'm quite unfamiliar with Android 4 (4.1.2 is my version), having upgraded from a 3 year old Android 2. I'm currently texting a friend and have noticed that when I receive a notification for a new text, although the text symbol appears at the top of the phone, no vibration is made (I currently have my phone on vibrate/silent). It vibrates perfectly well when other notifications are received.

How do I change these notification settings/SMS settings?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What phone do you have?

On my Razr Maxx, I can tap the menu button, then Settings, then scroll to the bottom and check or uncheck "Vibrate" under Notification Settings.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Try b.diddy's suggestion above and let us know how things go.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AC Forums mobile app

Treeroy

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What phone do you have?

On my Razr Maxx, I can tap the menu button, then Settings, then scroll to the bottom and check or uncheck "Vibrate" under Notification Settings.
Sorry, should have thought of that - I keep thinking it's based on Android rather than the phone manufacturer. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of the manufacturer, there will often be options in the Messaging app's menu to adjust Notification sounds/vibrations. I should have made it clear in my previous post that the Settings I'm accessing are the Messaging app's settings, not the System Settings. Can you find a similar menu in your S3's Messaging app?

Treeroy

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of the manufacturer, there will often be options in the Messaging app's menu to adjust Notification sounds/vibrations. I should have made it clear in my previous post that the Settings I'm accessing are the Messaging app's settings, not the System Settings. Can you find a similar menu in your S3's Messaging app?
Thank you =) I didn't know there were settings in the Messaging application. Problem solved.