Can I updgrade my Samsung GS3 to 4.4 kit kat?

lasermark

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I am currently running Android 4.1.2 and I want to upgrade to a higher OS. Is this possible or are these newer versions not compatible with my GS3?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am currently running Android 4.1.2 and I want to upgrade to a higher OS. Is this possible or are these newer versions not compatible with my GS3?

Welcome to the forums.
4.3 is supposed to be released within a week or so, depending on your carrier. You can run 4.4 (which is now available for developers and isn't available for ROMs just yet), but would need to root and flash a custom ROM.

lasermark

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
4.3 is supposed to be released within a week or so, depending on your carrier. You can run 4.4 (which is now available for developers and isn't available for ROMs just yet), but would need to root and flash a custom ROM.

Cool. I didn't know that about the pending release of 4.3, I assumed it was already out if they were already working on 4.4. I'll look out for that. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Cool. I didn't know that about the pending release of 4.3, I assumed it was already out if they were already working on 4.4. I'll look out for that. Thanks!

There is always a delay with updates. In the case of your device: Google sends it to Samsung. Samsung modifies it for their skinned version of Android, tests it and makes sure it works. Then they ship it to carriers, who then skin it a little more, and test. Then it goes to you. One of the reasons why Nexus devices are becoming more popular. They get the updates a couple weeks at most after the release.

Because of the rapid releases of 4.2, and 4.3, Samsung chose to skip to 4.3 for many devices.

TheeWolf2

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I think its funny Samsung announces an 4.3 update for the S3 a few days after Kitkat is announced :)

Hopefully Samsung will update the S3 to 4.4. Maybe, just maybe, it will get the S3 to stop getting stuck every now and then :p (sigh), lagwiz...

mwara244

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
If you're on Verizon, they are suppose to update their gs3 on November 11th.

I've been wondering if they'll get 4.4 too. As Asurion gave me a gs3 as a replacement for a gnex since it's eol. I missed having 4.2 also. I wish they'd skip 4.3 and go straight to 4.4 faster tbh. Verizon was the first carrier to update the sg4 to 4.3 shockingly. It seems now that Samsung is a huge success, now, they have better push on Verizon to get updates faster. But we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge