Galaxy S3: Frozen on Samsung Start Screen after Software Update

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys

Need some help asap please.

I received the notification there was a new software update available(I assume it is the 4.3 update) so i went ahead with the update. The s3 was on charge so no problems there.
The update started and went to 100% and then the device restarted and now it is frozen on the Samsung start up screen. I have tried a reset (power button and home button) but this did not have any affect the Start up screen remained,i tried to boot the phone is safe mode(power home and vol up buttons) and this did not have any effect either.

I pulled out the battery to restart the phone and it still remains frozen on the samsung start up sceen.

Can anyone advise me on what to do?i need my phone for business over the weekend and i dont have a backup phone.

Your help is much appreciatted

Thanks

Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: S3 Frozen on Samsung Start Screen after Software Update

Ok i am now able to boot the phone in recovery mode and i have the following options:

Apply update from adb
Apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory rest
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

can someone please advise?

Deanig_12

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site

Ok i am now able to boot the phone in recovery mode and i have the following options:

Apply update from adb
Apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory rest
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

can someone please advise?

i think the only option here if the phone isnt booting is to Wipe Data/Factory reset :/

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

I did a wipe data/factory reset and when the phone boots it is still stuck on the Samsung screen

Zoe Alexander

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

did u ever manage to sort it out as my s3 done this last night... again after/during update and iv done the reboot, wipe etc etc

Balakumar

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

facing the same issue. Took it to a Samsung service centre. Those ****tards are saying that there is a mother board issue and the whole mother board has to be changed. I mean, what sort of an update kills a mother board ?

rheadsouza

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Did you find a solution to this problem? I seem to have come across the exact same issue

Ryanra

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Could someone post an update on what happened when they tried the suggested solution?

meoMonares

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm pretty sure this is exactly my case. After downloading the 4.3 upgrade from (4.1.2) via software update in the Settings menu, when rebooting, my S3 got stuck in the booting stage, that is, the Galaxy S3 black screen. See below. After that, nothing happens. I've waited for 4hrs after the reboot but nothing happened. I tried removing the battery (and SD card & SIM card), and powered the device on, same state.

Here's how it looks now....
galaxy-siii-boot-640x480.jpg

farah01

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

i got the same problem with my phone plz help i dont have a backup for my phone :( i dont want to lose whats on it

meoMonares

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I came to know that one possible reason why this weird stuff happened is that, our devices might have applications not being updated to their respective latest versions prior to installing the latest Android version, in my case, 4.3. But we are not here to back track these hundred possible reasons. We want real solution. I did not perform factory reset yet in the recovery mode as being mentioned here, it makes no difference at all. Please, someone could help us get through this mess. And thank you in advance.

meoMonares

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Finally, the solution! I made use of Samsung Kies. Here's what I did:

1. Install Samsung Kies in your computer if you don't have. (You may have to choose between Kies or Kies3. Kindly check Samsung website)
2. Connect your device to computer.
3. Turn on your device. As with our case, it will get stuck in the splash screen logo.
4. Press Volume Down + Home button + Power button. Hold it for some time until the ODIN screen is displayed. (The one with green Android character and it says "Downloading... Do not turn off the target!!")
5. Launch Samsung Kies.
6. Ignore if you see some prompts that say your device is unrecognized.
7. Go to Tool > Firmware upgrade and Initialisation
8. Enter your device's model name. (Ex: GT-I9300). Be aware of the uppercase letters.
9. Click OK.
10. Enter your S/N the click OK.
11. Then follow the succeeding instructions as it will now direct you to downloading your firmware.
12. Just wait until it's done and auto-upgrade with your device shall commence.
(Depending on the speed of your internet connection, usually it would take 2-4hrs until the download is completed)
13. Then whoala! Welcome your device back!

This works for me. I have Galaxy S3.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Jason Nderitu

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Finally, the solution! I made use of Samsung Kies. Here's what I did:

1. Install Samsung Kies in your computer if you don't have. (You may have to choose between Kies or Kies3. Kindly check Samsung website)
2. Connect your device to computer.
3. Turn on your device. As with our case, it will get stuck in the splash screen logo.
4. Press Volume Down + Home button + Power button. Hold it for some time until the ODIN screen is displayed. (The one with green Android character and it says "Downloading... Do not turn off the target!!")
5. Launch Samsung Kies.
6. Ignore if you see some prompts that say your device is unrecognized.
7. Go to Tool > Firmware upgrade and Initialisation
8. Enter your device's model name. (Ex: GT-I9300). Be aware of the uppercase letters.
9. Click OK.
10. Enter your S/N the click OK.
11. Then follow the succeeding instructions as it will now direct you to downloading your firmware.
12. Just wait until it's done and auto-upgrade with your device shall commence.
13. Then whoala! Welcome your device back!

This works for me. I have Galaxy S3.

Hope this helps!

For some strange reason Kies is not recognizing my serial number. just to clarify, the S/N is the same thing as the IMEI number on the back of my phone right ?

iamjj

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

how much time will it takes for the firmware emergency recovery to be installed? because mine 1% every 5 minutes. is it ok?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon