Problem: android.process.acore & com.android.providers.applications constant high CPU usage

UrmasK

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

I've registered here because I haven't found a way using my fav. search engine to debug this problem.

Problem is as follows:
  • After a few minutes (or a bit more) my energy saving function stops working because android.process.acore & com.android.providers.applications have contstant high CPU usage.
  • I've tried several Factory Data resets to the phone and even tried not to configure or install anything but the problem still comes alive
  • It started after my phone had a repair (under warranty) and they changed a part in phone's hardware (no info what precisely) and upgraded Android software from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. I believe it's Samsung's custom software.
    Problem before was that phone's network and internet vanished and only phone restart helped. This has been solved.
  • So: nothing set up (except required Google account with now restores or updates) or everything set up and the problem appears under any circumstances what so ever.

Phone's primary info
  • Model: Samsung Galaxy S2+, GT-I9105P,
  • Android 4.2.2
  • Age aprox. 6 months

-update 11.11.2013 9:21- (10:49 - it does not work, new problem appeared)
Possible solution is described in this pos
Possible solution: Finally I also found a process called "Search Applications Provider" (I missed it before) and disabled it and then restarted the phone. Now it seems to work. I'll test it for hours to come and possibly for the next week or two before I lock into this as a solution.
Refer yourself to this post to read full descriptions and steps taken.

If anyone knows how to hide/use spoiler tags/etc attachment thumbnails you may let me know privately

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-10-16-13-38.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-16-13-38.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2013-11-10-16-13-30.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-16-13-30.png
    84 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2013-11-10-16-13-15.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-16-13-15.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problem: android.process.acore & com.android.providers.applications contstant high CPU usage

Hello!

I've registered here because I haven't found a way using my fav. search engine to debug this problem.

Problem is as follows:
  • After a few minutes (or a bit more) my energy saving function stops working because android.process.acore & com.android.providers.applications have contstant high CPU usage.
  • I've tried several resets to the phone and even tried not to configure or install anything but the problem still comes alive
  • It started after my phone had a repair (under warranty) and they changed a part in phone's hardware (no info what precisely) and upgraded Android software from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. I believe it's Samsung's custom software.
    Problem before was that phone's network and internet vanished and only phone restart helped. This has been solved.
  • So: nothing set up (except required Google account with now restores or updates) or everything set up and the problem appears under any circumstances what so ever.

Phone's primary info
  • Model: Samsung Galaxy S2+, GT-I9105P,
  • Android 4.2.2
  • Age aprox. 6 months

Welcome to the forums.
I would suggest clearing cache in recovery. Hopefully this will help. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

UrmasK

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Problem: android.process.acore & com.android.providers.applications contstant high CPU usage

Welcome to the forums.
I would suggest clearing cache in recovery. Hopefully this will help. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html
Thank you for this information.

I have now reset cache as you suggested (although I didn't have confirmation except a little Android guy doing stuff:)).

I'll monitor now for a day or two.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for this information.

I have now reset cache as you suggested (although I didn't have confirmation except a little Android guy doing stuff:)).

I'll monitor now for a day or two.

You are welcome.
Are you using a task killer by chance?

UrmasK

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

You are welcome.
Are you using a task killer by chance?
No I don't and I can say now that it didn't help. Problem appears immediately after restart.

Which task killer would you suggest?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

No I don't and I can say now that it didn't help. Problem appears immediately after restart.

What task killer would you suggest?

That is just it...don't.
Instead could you post a screenshot of your battery stats?
Settings>Battery.
Include the main screen and click on the graph, please.

UrmasK

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Here.

As you can see from my first post then battery has gone from 68% to 47%.. :)

I used to unplug it at 7-8AM and replug it at midnight (just because otherwise I should do it the next day around 2PM).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-10-17-12-42.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-17-12-42.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2013-11-10-17-12-51.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-17-12-51.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

UrmasK

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Ok. Thanks.
1. Has your battery life gone down?
2. And does the device sit idle a lot?

1. Not that I know of. I sent my phone to repairs at a state where it ran on battery power for 30 or so hours. Just after I got it back from the warranty I experienced the problem. Like I noted in my first post I believe it's that process that is constantly using CPU. Before my phone ran on Energy Saving mode and CPU was at lower speeds, now its 1200Mhz all the time.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean that does my phone sit on the desk without any usage then no- only at nights. I use it for chat and call purposes a lot + I use GPS and navi functions a lot. If my phone was (two weeks ago) in full usage, it would run for about 14 hours (navi, calls, games, chat, search etc). Right now it stands on table and battery drain is 8-10% per hour..

-update-
I'm gonna bail now for few hours and won't be able to reply. I'll get you more images and monitoring logs before I plug it in again. Maybe it helps to debug this problem.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

1. Not that I know of. I sent my phone to repairs at a state where it ran on battery power for 30 or so hours. Just after I got it back from the warranty I experienced the problem. Like I noted in my first post I believe it's that process that is constantly using CPU. Before my phone ran on Energy Saving mode and CPU was at lower speeds, now its 1200Mhz all the time.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean that does my phone sit on the desk without any usage then no- only at nights. I use it for chat and call purposes a lot + I use GPS and navi functions a lot. If my phone was (two weeks ago) in full usage, it would run for about 14 hours (navi, calls, games, chat, search etc). Right now it stands on table and battery drain is 8-10% per hour..

I have one last thing to suggest. A factory reset. I hate suggesting that, but I am out of ideas.
Settings>Backup and reset>Factory Data Reset. Your reset option may also be under Security.
This will delete all apps and reset settings. This will act like you just opened the box, so setting up the phone again will occur. Back up any photos/other files, sync any contacts, etc.

If this doesn't work, I would suggest calling Samsung.

UrmasK

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I have one last thing to suggest. A factory reset. I hate suggesting that, but I am out of ideas.
Settings>Backup and reset>Factory Data Reset. Your reset option may also be under Security.
This will delete all apps and reset settings. This will act like you just opened the box, so setting up the phone again will occur. Back up any photos/other files, sync any contacts, etc.

If this doesn't work, I would suggest calling Samsung.
I feel stupid now. I stated in my first post that I have tried several resets but what I didn't say is that those several resets where, infact, factory data resets. I've now updated my first post as well.

Sorry for that misinformation.

I will e-mail my provider this thread and see what they think of it and then I think my phone will go to repairs, again.

Thank you for your time and help!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I feel stupid now. I stated in my first post that I have tried several resets but what I didn't say is that those several resets where, infact, factory data resets. I've now updated my first post as well.

Sorry for that misinformation.

I will e-mail my provider this thread and see what they think of it and then I think my phone will go to repairs, again.

Thank you for your time and help!

I may have missed it the first time I read it. I read so many posts that it happens.
Sorry I am striking out, here.

UrmasK

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I might have a solution

I took some more pictures of the situation and following those I think I found a solution. To explain how I got there I'll go through the steps. You may just scroll down to "Possible solution" to see this, ofc :)

First
Today my battery has decreased 22% within aprox. 2 hours and it goes as follows:
  1. Screen 34%
  2. Waze 18% (GPS on)
  3. Android OS 14%
  4. Chrome 9%
  5. Google Play Services 8%
  6. etc.
  7. Cell standby 3%

I still can't pinpoint exactly what is the reason for "android.process.acore" & "com.android.providers.applications" constant high CPU usage. If I look at the pics it seems like Google Play Services is the problem. But maybe it was just yesterday as the phone was "freshly installed" and it had to update a lot? Nevertheless I related my next steps using this information.

Second
I also found a description for com.android.providers.applications:
(link: https://android.googlesource.com/pl...viders/applications/ApplicationsProvider.java)
/**
* Fetches the list of applications installed on the phone to provide search suggestions.
* If the functionality of this provider changes, the documentation at
* {@link android.provider.Applications} should be updated.
* TODO: this provider should be moved to the Launcher, which contains similar logic to keep an up
* to date list of installed applications. Alternatively, Launcher could be updated to use this
* provider.
*/

Third
I've now tried some more steps to solve this:
  1. I force to stop every process that I could define as application install related.. No effect.
  2. So I stopped everything I actually could.. No effect.
  3. Possible solution: Finally I also found a process called "Search Applications Provider" (I missed it before) and disabled it and then restarted the phone. Now it seems to work. I'll test it for hours to come and possibly for the next week or two before I lock into this as a solution. Also if it affects any general functions of my phone.

Finally one educational search
I tapped in another search in Google and found this thread: Speed Up Slow Google Searches in Android with This Tweak In few words- it describes how "Search Applications Provider" is buggy and is strongly affecting search speeds for many Android users. No in my case it affects my battery drain.

Let's hope it works.

Still puzzles me though..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-47-40.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-47-40.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-47-16.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-47-16.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-46-44.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-46-44.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-45-51.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-45-51.png
    57 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-48-39.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-21-48-39.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

UrmasK

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: I might have a solution

Problem has reappeared and this time its android.process.acore + com.android.providers.contacts...
This problem has disappeared! My last reply is invalid as for today. And now I have made few factory data resets to make sure and it's not happening any more.

I am puzzled and happy. My last recharge was 45 hours ago and still 28% of battery remaining (sure, my phone has been idling most of the time ;)).

As for now it has been fixed.

But I can still say that disabling different apps and processes can be helpful without harming basic (and even most) functions of your phone.

AlexLSM

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: I might have a solution

Hello,
I stumbled upon this topic because I had exactly the same problem with exactly the same phone and version of Android. I also have Galaxy S2+ with Android 4.2.2 (automatically upgraded maybe a week ago) and until today I've experienced absolutely the same problem with android.process.acore & com.android.providers.applications, problems that started maybe a day or two after my phone downloaded and installed 4.2.2.
My battery was being drained in a matter of hours, "something" consumed 10 or even 15% per hour (7% if I was extremely lucky) without me doing anything... literally anything. Situation was the same with WiFI, Mobile Internet and GPS turned off.

Watchdog Lite reported that "Android Core (Homescreen)" used at least 40-45% of CPU all the time but it wasn't really detailed and I couldn't do anything. Have been searching the net for hours in hope for solution without success.
Then I installed Android System Info and it told me problem was "android.process.acore" with package: "com.android.providers.application", Status: "Foreground", User ID: "10007".
What I did next is to switch to Apps tab of Android System Info and look up for an application with 10007 ID.
Turned out it was CONTACT STORAGE. Immediately after I cleared its cache and data all problems stopped (WARNING: Clearing data will remove all contacts from your device. Back them up to SD card, Google/Samsung servers or maybe SIM card if possible and just import them back again - it won't make heavy CPU usage again. and haven't reappeared yet. CPU can have a break now :) and battery is losing only 1-2% in idle state, which is fine I believe, especially compared to 10-15% per hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995