Need help with CyanogenMod installation and memory issue

Reapus

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey, everyone. I rooted my phone and downloaded Titanium Backup Pro (Also backed up data to SD, I believe), Rom Manager Pro, GooManager, Root Explorer Pro and Triangle away. My memory went from using 1.5gigs to now using 6gigs. What gives? I checked the apps and they don't take up that much. Could it be that the Titanium backup Pro backedup files on my device instead? If so, how can I clear that up?

Also, I'm currently using stock rom, I believe and my Juice Defender log said to get Cyanogen Mod, so I looked it up for a few hours. Downloaded what I think I need and followed a YouTube video that didn't help me at all. Rom manager premium apparently set my Recovery Setup to Clock Work Mod 6.0.4.4 but I just switched it to TWRP. All I want to do is set up the latest CyanogenMod stable version on my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 (4.2.2 Jelly Bean). (It's apparently running AOSP, not sure what that is.) The model number is SPH-L720, I believe, if that helps. I just want to set this up without messing my phone up and then remove bloatware and have my phone running great with excellent battery. I believe I backedup my files during one of the recovery setups, but I'm not too sure.

Can anyone kindly help me with a step by step on how I can achieve this? In a simple way, please. I would greatly appreciate it as I am new to this. If this helps any, I rooted my phone through Odin. I don't want to format my phone as I like the apps I have and I like the Nova theme I have.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey, everyone. I rooted my phone and downloaded Titanium Backup Pro (Also backed up data to SD, I believe), Rom Manager Pro, GooManager, Root Explorer Pro and Triangle away. My memory went from using 1.5gigs to now using 6gigs. What gives? I checked the apps and they don't take up that much. Could it be that the Titanium backup Pro backedup files on my device instead? If so, how can I clear that up?

Also, I'm currently using stock rom, I believe and my Juice Defender log said to get Cyanogen Mod, so I looked it up for a few hours. Downloaded what I think I need and followed a YouTube video that didn't help me at all. Rom manager premium apparently set my Recovery Setup to Clock Work Mod 6.0.4.4. All I want to do is set up the latest CyanogenMod stable version on my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 (4.2.2 Jelly Bean). (It's apparently running AOSP, not sure what that is.) The model number is SPH-L720, I believe, if that helps. I just want to set this up without messing my phone up and then remove bloatware and have my phone running great with excellent battery. I believe I backedup my files during one of the recovery setups, but I'm not too sure.

Can anyone kindly help me with a step by step on how I can achieve this? In a simple way, please. I would greatly appreciate it as I am new to this. If this helps any, I rooted my phone through Odin. I don't want to format my phone as I like the apps I have and I like the Nova theme I have.

Hey there again :) I find that the easiest way to install custom ROMs is with TWRP.
I don't like using goomanager or CWM because it's harder to make nandroid backups which come in handy.
What I would do is flash TWRP recovery via Odin and then make a backup onto an external SD card
If you want great battery life you might want to look at something other than CM. my battery life was subpar while using it. I'd recommend SlimBean 4.3
Currently on my 3rd day without charging and I have 25% left with 4 hours of screen time (auto brightness)
As far as the memory is concerned I think TB might have backed up everything on your phone :(

Posted via Android Central App

Reapus

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey there again :) I find that the easiest way to install custom ROMs is with TWRP.
I don't like using goomanager or CWM because it's harder to make nandroid backups which come in handy.
What I would do is flash TWRP recovery via Odin and then make a backup onto an external SD card
If you want great battery life you might want to look at something other than CM. my battery life was subpar while using it. I'd recommend SlimBean 4.3
Currently on my 3rd day without charging and I have 25% left with 4 hours of screen time (auto brightness)
As far as the memory is concerned I think TB might have backed up everything on your phone :(

Hey, buddy. Since I couldn't find any help, I decided to play around with my phone and downloaded CyanogenMod from Rom Manager, then used the Clockwork recovery to install it and the gapps files with it. It did a recovery reboot and everything seems to be working fine. If I really figured this out on my own then damn, I'm pretty good. It seems to be taking some time to boot up CyanogenMod though. I heard it could take up to 10 mins? I just get the blue thing circling the CyanogenMod logo. I really don't know anything about this CM, flash, rom, etc. stuff. It's Chinese to me. I'm just hoping I figured out how to get this thing running.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey, buddy. Since I couldn't find any help, I decided to play around with my phone and downloaded CyanogenMod from Rom Manager, then used the Clockwork recovery to install it and the gapps files with it. It did a recovery reboot and everything seems to be working fine. If I really figured this out on my own then damn, I'm pretty good. It seems to be taking some time to boot up CyanogenMod though. I heard it could take up to 10 mins? I just get the blue thing circling the CyanogenMod logo. I really don't know anything about this CM, flash, rom, etc. stuff. It's Chinese to me. I'm just hoping I figured out how to get this thing running.

Cool. Glad you could get it to work and yeah it takes a while to boot up the first time. I was scared when I first did because it wouldn't boot XD

Reapus

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Cool. Glad you could get it to work and yeah it takes a while to boot up the first time. I was scared when I first did because it wouldn't boot XD

It's been awhile now and it isn't going through. I'm convinced I'm in an infinite loop. I tried turning off the phone and starting it up by holding power and volume up but that does nothing but turn the phone back on after it tries to go into recovery. How do I fix this? I forgot to format the phone and move the files to SD from Rom Manager.

EDIT: I was able to get in and format the phone and cache partition from Clockwork. It's working but Google Play isn't.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It's been awhile now and it isn't going through. I'm convinced I'm in an infinite loop. I tried turning off the phone and starting it up by holding power and volume up but that does nothing but turn the phone back on after it tries to go into recovery. How do I fix this? I forgot to format the phone and move the files to SD from Rom Manager.

EDIT: I was able to get in and format the phone and cache partition from Clockwork. It's working but Google Play isn't.

Sorry I was busy XD
Did you make a backup so you can return to it just in case you brick it or something goes wrong?

Reapus

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind, it worked soon after I posted my reply but I think I'm just going to unroot and go back to stock. Not liking Cyna rom. Game emulators like N64 have a sound delay, my videos don't play, no note app to view documents I made and other little things that bugged me. Any tips on how to go back to stock and unroot? :p

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind, it worked soon after I posted my reply but I think I'm just going to unroot and go back to stock. Not liking Cyna rom. Game emulators like N64 have a sound delay, my videos don't play, no note app to view documents I made and other little things that bugged me. Any tips on how to go back to stock and unroot? :p

Easy. Just flash the stock firmware :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy