Sign in to Android with non-gmail google account

mg3796

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I'm an Android newbie - I've just purchased an Android v4.2.2 tablet and I'm having a basic problem that I can't sign in (using the tablet) to my google account, which is not a gmail account: it's xyz@myisp.com. I can sign in OK from my windows-based PC and netbook - but from Android, the email/password are not recognised.

To get going I created a gmail account which enables me to sign in to my new android device: but obviously that doesn't give me access to all my google-related "stuff" that is in my xyz@myisp.com google account.

Grateful for any help.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Everything is tied to your gmail address in Android. That is your only option for using Google services. I don't really understand what "google-related stuff" you are referring to.

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm an Android newbie - I've just purchased an Android v4.2.2 tablet and I'm having a basic problem that I can't sign in (using the tablet) to my google account, which is not a gmail account: it's xyz@myisp.com.

I am able to sign into my galaxy s3 with a non-gmail google account. The account uses my regular email address, not gmail.com. I don't know what your issue is, but I believe it should work unless there is something specific to your device that doesn't allow it. It works on my s3. I generally sign in through the Play store instead of the accounts section in the settings, but going through the Play store adds the google account to the device. So you might try that and see if it behaves any different.

mg3796

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Sorry for delayed response.
Yes, I now understand: on Android there is no difference between "logging into gmail" and "logging into google". Whereas from Windows, they are different things - you can login to google without logging into gmail (which I have been doing for some years), to access "google-related stuff" such as google drive, circles, photo albums, Chrome synchronisation etc etc.

The work-around is simple: I just had to create a new gmail address linked to my google account; and then I could login from my Android device (using the new gmail address); which enabled me to access my pre-existing google account.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar