App Permission

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
While I'm enjoying access to Amazon and Google Play markets directly rather than side loading, I'm getting annoyed with these security settings. Is this an OS thing, or do some OEMs allow for more customization. See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1391550515795.jpg
    IMG_1391550515795.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 9

Zahem Khalid

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I am a newbie to Android Central - apologies if this is not the right format etc. I am seeking a list of app id's for native Android apps e.g. com.sec.android.app is for the Camera. I currently have a Samsung Tab 2 (4.1.1 version) - if anyone has any links / info. that they can share that would be great. Thank you.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes or at least a better explanation why the developer needs my device serial number (as an example).

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

It's an Android thing. You really have no control over permissions other than choosing not to install the app. A good developer should explain on the Play Store page why they need access to permissions that doesn't seem obvious but many do not.

Serial # and PIN are just examples explaining that permission. It doesn't necessarily mean the app will actually look at those. It might just want to be able to determine the make and model of the device either to alter how the app responds or to feed back the info so that the developer can track what devices are using the app. That would be helpful to the developer in future upgrades in cases like say 85% are using the app on a Nexus 5 and practically no one is using it on a Galaxy Nexus.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Serial # and PIN are just examples explaining that permission. It doesn't necessarily mean the app will actually look at those. It might just want to be able to determine the make and model of the device either to alter how the app responds or to feed back the info so that the developer can track what devices are using the app. That would be helpful to the developer in future upgrades in cases like say 85% are using the app on a Nexus 5 and practically no one is using it on a Galaxy Nexus.

In the above example, it was a screenshot of Evernote for BB10 on the left, and Evernote Android on the right. So, with the device ID turned off on the BB10 app permissions, does that mean the developer won't know the kind of device I use (assuming I use the BB10 over the Android version)?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
In the above example, it was a screenshot of Evernote for BB10 on the left, and Evernote Android on the right. So, with the device ID turned off on the BB10 app permissions, does that mean the developer won't know the kind of device I use (assuming I use the BB10 over the Android version)?

Quite possibly. But it is far less important with BB since there is only one device manufacturer and limited models. Same holds true with an iPhone. With Android, the possible variations are endless. That's probably one reason Google briefly had a developer option in Kat Kat to selectively turn off some app permissions and then quickly took it away. Denying permissions in Android apps can result in a non functioning app or worse, one that locks up the device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer