Backup all settings (especially app folders) without rooting

jabo75

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I have searched all over for this and cannot find an answer.
Can anyone recommend an app that does a complete backup of my device (Note 3) that will restore all settings including the app folders that I have created.
I have used Samsung Kies, but that does not restore my app folders.
I have spent a lot of time setting up my apps into folders, but there is no app that I can find that will restore app folders. Many of the apps say the restore system settings, but it doesn't appear to me that those settings include the app folders.
Coming from an iPhone, this is the biggest frustration that I have so far with my device. iCloud will restore all settings so that a new device is exactly the same as the one it's replacing.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I've only had to re-setup my note 2 once in the last year or more. I cracked my screen and got a new phone. It took all of 20 minutes to get everything back to normal with only the contacts backed up.

My iPhone 4s though needed a factory reset every six months or so.

Posted via Android Central App

jabo75

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok well that's great, but It took me about an hour to get all of my screens and shortcuts back to the way I want them. Given how messed up the GPS is on the AT&T version of the Note 3, I can see having to do this again. Already on my second replacement.
For the record, I never had to factory reset my 4S once, but I did break 2 of them. Restored them both from iCloud in about 20 minutes, but most importantly, I didn't have to do anything. When I was done, my new phone was EXACTLY like my old one.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I tried Kies once but don't understand why you can select 20 items or so to backup but only a handful when you want to restore! What good is it backing them up if you can't select from the same list to restore? I have used BlackBerry for the last 5 years and I could restore any or all of what I backed up. I would like to be able to avoid redoing most of the customization.

jabo75

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I too used Kies when I swapped out phones. It restored some of the settings but not all of them. In particular the ones that are the most time consuming to redo, like app shortcut folders, were not restored.
I find it very disappointing that there is no way to backup and restore all of the phone settings without rooting. It seems like most of the solutions focus on backing up media and documents. In this day and age, I would think most people have some cloud solution (Google Drive, Dropbox, Sugar Sync....) that is taking care of those items.
I remember reading early on that Kit Kat was to include an iCloud like component to permit a full restore, but it look like that component didn't make it into the final product.

James Stortz

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello Jabo75

Did you find anyway to restore your app folders?
I have tried everything without luck
I get a new phone almost every 6 months and can't believe that I can't restore my app folders
I am thinking of going back to the iPhone because of this

Merkabaship

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
Did you find am answer for this?

I am a developer and have o er 690 apps about 45 folders. It is absurd that I would not be able to back them up?

Thanks

T

Hello Jabo75

Did you find anyway to restore your app folders?
I have tried everything without luck
I get a new phone almost every 6 months and can't believe that I can't restore my app folders
I am thinking of going back to the iPhone because of this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34