Bizarre issue with Zeepad 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)

anon8880866

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello, my apologies in advance for this lengthy post, but I wanted to provide as much information on this issue as possible. Anyhow, I received a Zeepad 7.0 Android tablet as a Christmas gift last year. Regrettably, I known little about this brand and the ones who bought weren't able to afford any well-known brands. Here's the specs for this particular tablet below based off its box and user manual.

• Model: Zeepad 7.0
  • CPU: Allwinner A13 Cortex-A8 1.2 GHz
  • RAM: 512 MB
  • ROM: NAND Flash 4 GB
  • LCD: 7" Capacitive Touchscreen with 16:9, 5 Point, and 800x480 px resolution
I experience a major issue with this tablet this past Monday when a game app was auto-updated. This game app has routine updates that adds new content and adjusts game mechanics. Some updates are announced beforehand and must be installed manually via Google Play. A few "stealth" updates, however, pop up out of the blue and auto-install on their own. After the latest "stealth" update, I didn't noticed anything unusual as I played this game app, logged off, and turned my tablet off for a bit. However, when I tried to power my tablet back on, my tablet kept freezing on its third boot up screen. For those unfamiliar with this tablet, I'll list its three boot up screens below.

Zeepad 7.0 Boot Up Screens
  1. Gray screen with "Zeepad 7.0" and "Android 4.2" in white font.
  2. Green screen with "Android" mascot and "Android" name in green font.
  3. Gray screen with "Android" name in light blue font.
I suspect that "stealth" update somehow caused this issue because it was the only thing I installed the previous weekend. I tried using my tablet's wipe data/factory reset in the Android system recovery <3e> menu, but it still froze on the third boot up screen.

Frustrated by this setback, I reluctantly chose to flash an authentic Zeepad 7.0 firmware from Zeepad's website. Although this process restored my tablet, I soon discovered it wasn't the exact firmware this tablet originally had. One of the major differences between the two firmware update was my two Internal Storage partitions, which I'll list below.

Pre-installed Firmware
  • Apps' Internal Storage - Total space: 0.98 GB
  • System's Internal Storage - Total space: 0.98 GB
Firmware from Zeepad's Website
  • Apps' Internal Storage - Total space: 504 MB:confused:
  • System's Internal Storage - Total space: 1.50 GB
As you can see, my tablet's Internal Storage is no longer evenly distributed, which I find baffling. Other bizarre changes include the absence of the Google Play icon on the home page, some extra icons in the navigation menu, and an apparent lack of screen rotation despite being enabled. As for that internal storage issue, I successfully rooted my tablet and linked its app Internal Storage to a Samsung 16 GB microSD Card. However, a few apps including that one game app won't boot, so I flashed that downloaded Zeepad 7.0 firmware again for the time being. I feel totally shortchanged by this issue as 504 MB for apps is quite limiting, especially for apps that become larger after updates. Is it possible to modify a firmware image file to even out my tablet's Internal Storage distribution without rooting?

Deanig_12

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello, my apologies in advance for this lengthy post, but I wanted to provide as much information on this issue as possible. Anyhow, I received a Zeepad 7.0 Android tablet as a Christmas gift last year. Regrettably, I known little about this brand and the ones who bought weren't able to afford any well-known brands. Here's the specs for this particular tablet below based off its box and user manual.

I experience a major issue with this tablet this past Monday when a game app was auto-updated. This game app has routine updates that adds new content and adjusts game mechanics. Some updates are announced beforehand and must be installed manually via Google Play. A few "stealth" updates, however, pop up out of the blue and auto-install on their own. After the latest "stealth" update, I didn't noticed anything unusual as I played this game app, logged off, and turned my tablet off for a bit. However, when I tried to power my tablet back on, my tablet kept freezing on its third boot up screen. For those unfamiliar with this tablet, I'll list its three boot up screens below.

I suspect that "stealth" update somehow caused this issue because it was the only thing I installed the previous weekend. I tried using my tablet's wipe data/factory reset in the Android system recovery <3e> menu, but it still froze on the third boot up screen.

Frustrated by this setback, I reluctantly chose to flash an authentic Zeepad 7.0 firmware from Zeepad's website. Although this process restored my tablet, I soon discovered it wasn't the exact firmware this tablet originally had. One of the major differences between the two firmware update was my two Internal Storage partitions, which I'll list below.

Pre-installed Firmware
As you can see, my tablet's Internal Storage is no longer evenly distributed, which I find baffling. Other bizarre changes include the absence of the Google Play icon on the home page, some extra icons in the navigation menu, and an apparent lack of screen rotation despite being enabled. As for that internal storage issue, I successfully rooted my tablet and linked its app Internal Storage to a Samsung 16 GB microSD Card. However, a few apps including that one game app won't boot, so I flashed that downloaded Zeepad 7.0 firmware again for the time being. I feel totally shortchanged by this issue as 504 MB for apps is quite limiting, especially for apps that become larger after updates. Is it possible to modify a firmware image file to even out my tablet's Internal Storage distribution without rooting?

have you tried reinstalling the software on your tablet? maybe that will help?

anon8880866

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean reinstall from Setting > Backup & reset > Factory data reset? I just tried that, but it only reset to that downloaded Zeepad firmware with the 504 MB/1.50 GB Internal Storage split instead of my tablet's original 0.98 GB/0.98 GB Internal Storage split. I also tried using Android system recovery <3e> > wipe data/factory reset, but I'm still didn't get my original firmware back. I'll try looking into that apply update from adb option.

anon8880866

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying out a few other options within the past few days... with mixed results.

1. I downloaded the firmware for the Zeepad 7XN, which is roughly similar to the Zeepad 7.0 I own. Despite multiple attempts, I won't able to install the 7XN firmware on my 7.0 tablet.
  2. I tried using that apply update from adb option on the Android system recovery <3e> menu to install a few other firmware updates. However, the installations for those updates ended up being aborted.
  3. I flashed another firmware from another unfamiliar tablet brand named MaPan. Luckily, this firmware actually installed and it evened out my two Internal Storage partitions at 0.98GB apiece (which was their original size). However, my tablet's touchscreen became incredibly unresponsive and its Android System Recovery <3e> menu was empty except for its Android mascot background image.
I chose to reinstall the Zeepad 7.0 firmware I downloaded from Zeepad's website (which I'll dub "backup firmware" for convenience) as I weigh my next options. Other ideas I'm considering include trying out other firmwares and perhaps editing a copy of that "backup firmware" in Ubuntu to manually set its Internal Storage partitions back to 0.98GB apiece (if that's even possible).

Last edited:

anon8880866

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying out a few more firmware images for my tablet, but none of the latest ones were compatible. To keep from having to download and test so many potentially incompatible firmwares, I wish to simply edit a copy of that "backup firmware" to resize the apps and system's Internal Storage partitions on my tablet and refine a few other things if necessary. Here's some info on my tablet's current partitions as well as its Internal Storage and Nand info.

Major, Minor, #Blocks, Name
93, 0, 16384, nanda
93, 8, 16384, nandb
93, 16, 32768, nandc
93, 24, 1048576, nandd [/system]
93, 32, 524288, nande [/data; Internal Storage #1]
93, 40, 16384, nandf
93, 48, 32768, nandg
93, 56, 327680, nandh [/cache]
93, 64, 262144, nandi
93, 72, 1572864, nandj [/mnt/sdcard; Internal Storage #2]
179, 0, 15351808, mmcblk0
179, 1, 15348736, mmcblk0p1 [mnt/exstd; microSD Card]

ROM: 4GB
Internal Storage (Apps' Total space):
> 0.98GB (before "backup firmware")
> 504MB (after "backup firmware")
Internal Storage (System's Total space):
> 0.98GB (before "backup firmware")
> 1.50GB (after "backup firmware")

I tried installing Ubuntu via dual boot to resize my Internal Storage partitions back to 0.98GB apiece, however, I had some difficulty getting that program to run on my PC. I've since opted for Cygwin instead, which has been quite helpful so far. After using the Partition Table app, I discovered that the partitions I need to resize are nande (504MB) and nandj (1.50GB). My goal is to found a way to subtract 520MB from nandj and add it back to nande. Regrettably, I haven't had as much assistance from this forum as expected, so I'll continue researching this issue on my own and provide occasional updates on my progress.

Last edited:

Betty Loper

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I purchased 8 zeepads from nomorerack rack for my grandchildren and Carlisle has frozen shortly after I got it for her I finally got it to try to see of I could get it to work and I charged it real good and sure enough it is frozen,it turns on but will not do anything other than that ,it has the date it was last workable February with the original cover photo what am I to do to get this to work!

treerey

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello Chocoslime and anon8880866 !

I was wondering how far you got with your Zeepad. I have the EXACT same model.

Mine must've done a Factory Reset on its own. I guess I'm to blame for it though, because I wanted to see if I could get to the 'recovery mode', which I had no problem getting to, but I NEVER scrolled down anywhere. I NEVER selected 'wipe data'. I ONLY LOOKED at the menu, before rebooting my tablet. I even played a game before I turned it off for the night. When I did turn my tablet back on I found that my tablet was no longer the same. I no longer had the apps that I added or a noticeable few (youtube, netflix or skype) that already came loaded on the tablet. Boy was I bummed. I wanted to at least bring my tablet back to factory settings, which is how I got here. I learned that some of my stuff is still SEEN in my 'File Manager'. I'm wishing I had done my back up more sooner than later, now.

* Anybody know how to retrieve info out of File Manager on a Zeepad??

anon8880866:
You may have sorted out your problem by now and if you have I would surely like to know how you did it; but in my searching I came across how somebody inverted his internal / external storage. I was watching a vid on Youtube: How to Use a Micro SD or SD Card as Internal Storage on Any Android Device, by SUPA CHARGEDiOS and reading your last post reminded me of this vid. Seems like you should be able to rewrite your amounts in nande and nandj lines.
As you can probably tell, I'm not the most Tech savvy in this area, but I do mean to change that.

I'm very interested in what you do to/with your Zeepad. I would like to root and flash mine, in time, but I won't attempt it until I have much more knowledge about it. (Which brings me to several forums in search for the info)

I do hope you do an ~Update~

Last edited:

Cherle Bartlett

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I am having issues with mine too..bought mine specifically to play castleville legends on it & it wont boot...any sugestion??

I dont have any other issues with any other games it works fine with them...just not castleville...I am guessing that Castleville requires a larger ram...but that doesnt jive with the fact that my old rca tablet has the same amount of ram...just a larger internal storage capacity..so, I guess I will migrate all other games to new tablet & keep castleville on the old one...issue solved

Last edited by a moderator:

Justingagda

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Can you send me the firmware? Zeepad's website is down (if it is zeepad.net, at least) and I'm having the same issue you had. I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Jassmine Ward

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site

Pre-installed Firmware

Was you able to fix this issue. I have same exact tablet and my tablet keep freezing soon as I power it on.

Dannewilson

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I purchased 8 zeepads from nomorerack rack for my grandchildren and Carlisle has frozen shortly after I got it for her I finally got it to try to see of I could get it to work and I charged it real good and sure enough it is frozen,it turns on but will not do anything other than that ,it has the date it was last workable February with the original cover photo what am I to do to get this to work!

We deserve our money back for this useless product!

Last edited by a moderator:

Disenchanted2139

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
I have the 7 and 9. Both messed up. I had a friend to tell me how to unfreeze my 9 but my 7 can't be unfrozen. It charges up, but I can't get into it at all. Any suggestions? On my 9, he told me to hold down top button on the right side and volume control at the same time. This actually worked on the 9 but as I said, the 7 is completely frozen. Ty..

Susie HRTsAFyre

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I received This Factory hacked Zeepad as Well. I refused to set it up when the settings kept changing themselves. I'm looking for the firmware for it to reflash the unit and wipe out the old ROM data.
Thanks