Song duplication in Google

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. After years of Blackberry, I am now in my second month of ownership of an Android phone. My phone is a ZTE grand x running Jelly Bean 4.3. Today I started to attempt a switchover of my music collection. Figured I'd start small, and am working with 146 songs. I uploaded 146 songs from a couple of SD cards to Google Play. Then I downloaded them (using Google Music Manager) to a folder on my desktop. I haven't touched the phone yet - this was all done from the PC. So now that I have downloaded the 146 songs, I am currently at 2,942 songs, and the download isn't yet complete - over 22 GB !! None of the folders are duplicated, but the songs are duplicated numerous times. For example, Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" has 24 copies. Most songs appear to have been copied 24 or 25 times. Any idea what the hell is going on here? A have a couple of devices onto which I would like to download my songs from Google, but it's not very efficient if I am getting 25 copies of every song. FYI, none of these songs are purchased from Google. They are my own personal collection. Thanks in advance for any help.

GC

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Google Music Manager only gives you two options for downloading. You can download your entire library (without any regard to duplicates that may already be present on your hard drive) or just the Free and Purchased music. It's not a sync program, so it doesn't know what you already have locally. The primary advantage of downloading music via Google Music Manager is that you can do it an unlimited number of times.

You can download individual albums more easily by doing it from your Google Music Library website. The disadvantage here is that you're only allowed 2 total downloads per album (which is a way of trying to discourage rampant file sharing).

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. To be clearer, there are 146 songs in Google music. On my work computer there are ZERO songs. I downloaded them to an empty folder on my desktop. The final count was over 4,000 songs (up to 40 duplicates of the same song), and over 30 GB. I used Music Manager. I deleted all those and tried again by downloading them 50 songs at a time NOT using Music Manager. That worked fine. I now have the 146 songs in the desktop folder. But it would be much more convenient to use Music Manager if I wouldn't get 4,000 songs!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see. That is odd. When you go to your Google Music Library on the web, click on the gear icon at the upper right, click on Settings, and look under General. How many songs does it say you've uploaded?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae