nandroid backup/restore questions

mrxmry

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,
1. I would like to know if I can backup the whole phone using Nandroid backup, update the OS (from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4) and then restore the phone with that same backup? :D
2. If the phone dies, can I use the backup to restore to new device of the same model? :eek:
3. I did one backup and it is only shows 4.5GB while the data on the phone is much more. Seems like it is not a complete image of the files on the phone...:confused:
Thanks!

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Assuming the same type of backup (TWRP and CWM backups aren't the same), yes. (I'm assuming that you mean if you update from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4, don't like it and want to go back to your 4.4.2 backup.) I haven't seen any difference between 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 from the user viewpoint (other than rooting), and the significant difference is that the SSL bug was fixed in 4.4.4, so if you use anything where security counts (even depositing checks with your phone), you'd want the 4.4.4 update.

If you're using the same recovery to do the restore on the new device as you did to make it on the old device, there's no reason it shouldn't work. (I did that when I had to have a phone replaced, using Safestrap, which is TWRP, and it shouldn't matter which phone you do it with.)

mrxmry

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Rubkat, I am actually trying to install a new 4.4.4 rom and then restore to a backup made while under 4.4.2. Then repeat the same process when 5.0 will be avail for my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18