Factory reset with disabled apps?

anon(9633271)

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
My current phone runs, rooted Jellybean v4.1.1

Disabled/frozen app paths get stored in "/data/system/users/0/package-restrictions.xml" after using the "pm disable" command.

The apk and odex files of system apps still reside in the "/system/app" folder without modifications, like being renamed .bak, etc.

Performing a factory reset (from stock recovery) wipes the data partition.

Am i correct in thinking that everything in "/data" gets wiped and that (in theory) it's safe to factory reset even though some system apps are disabled when doing so?

If i'm mistaken, please explain why.
i'm eager to learn all that i can about this subject.

Thanks all!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
As I recall, everything should go back to as it was out of the box, so long as you didn't delete the apps in question. What did you freeze them with?

anon(9633271)

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply.

i was using 'Disable Application' for months, then i recently got rid of it for "My Android Tools".
It does the same thing and has a bunch of extra features.

(Edit: Removed quote. Kinda unnecessary.)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have had devices that had apps frozen with Titanium, and as I recall, everything was restored after a reset. That is my reference point for my guess.

As for quotes, its OK to use them, if you'd like. In this instance, it would have given me a notification on the site control panel when I log in on the desktop this evening.

anon(9633271)

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I have had devices that had apps frozen with Titanium, and as I recall, everything was restored after a reset. That is my reference point for my guess.

As for quotes, its OK to use them, if you'd like. In this instance, it would have given me a notification on the site control panel when I log in on the desktop this evening.

Okay, cool. The notification thing didn't dawn on me and i wasn't sure if forum rules/etiquette frowned upon quoting when we're the only two conversing. Thanks for clarifying.

About two weeks ago, my trial and error methodology resulted in a boot loop fiasco.
i ultimately wound up doing a factory reset.
Ironically enough, i had just enabled all of the disabled apps the day prior, for testing.

i did however have some services/receivers in Google Services Framework that i left disabled.
Those disabled components are also stored in the same .xml file i mentioned in the op.

After the reset, i noticed that everything i disabled in GSF was now enabled.

This got me thinking... and here we are.

Thanks again for your input on this.