Messenger won't install anymore

Hdinax

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I uninstalled messenger like a month ago and have been trying to download it and successfully install it ever since but it won't install at all. It completely reaches 100% while downloading but then shows an error that sorta goes like this: Can't install messenger, error code -24

So I tried to install it through my computer (web), didn't work.

Tried to install it by downloading messenger.apk but still says Can't install app and note that I tried different versions of messenger

Also, tried to send the app through Bluetooth from another phone (same thing as apk)

And yes, it only happens with messenger. All the other apps successfully install

I almost tried everything. And when I last had messenger on my phone, the updates sucked and it kept disconnecting, it's been like three months and Facebook still forces to download messenger.

Are there any solutions?

Screenshot_2016-03-30-13-05-23-1.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! Which phone? Go to Settings>Apps>All, select Google Play Store, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Do the same for Download Manager. Now try again.

If you have Facebook installed, try also Clearing Cache/Data from there, or uninstalling it completely and then reinstalling.

Hdinax

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Welcome back! Which phone? Go to Settings>Apps>All, select Google Play Store, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Do the same for Download Manager. Now try again.

If you have Facebook installed, try also Clearing Cache/Data from there, or uninstalling it completely and then reinstalling.

I did all that before and didn't work.
And the phone I am using is Galaxy S3, it got broken before but it has veen fixed long time ago.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! More details would be helpful, starting with which phone you have.

WhatIsMyUsername

Jan 12, 2018
Visit site
Having exact same issue on my Dad’s phone. HTC Desire 825.

Messenger will download 100% but not install. Download just restarts after a minute.

Tried all the solutions listed above with no success. Deleted Facebook app, cleared Facebook cache, google play cache, download cache, reinstalled Facebook. Frustrating!

Ryn1p

Feb 9, 2018
Visit site
Having exact same issue on my Dad’s phone. HTC Desire 825.

Messenger will download 100% but not install. Download just restarts after a minute.

Tried all the solutions listed above with no success. Deleted Facebook app, cleared Facebook cache, google play cache, download cache, reinstalled Facebook. Frustrating!

I am on HTC desire 10 pro and I have the exact same thing, it's a brand new phone so I have no history to clear. How can I fix it I run an online business and can't get to my messages 👎😭

lamia9

Jun 7, 2019
Visit site

thanks a lot. it really works. i tried a lot but couldn't install messenger on my phone.but after following your instructions i finally succeed to install messenger on my phone. thank you so much

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
thanks a lot. it really works. i tried a lot but couldn't install messenger on my phone.but after following your instructions i finally succeed to install messenger on my phone. thank you so much

Welcome to Android Central, and you're welcome! Which of the two suggestions was the one that worked for you?

Magick2828

Jun 3, 2019
Visit site
You.. are my hero! I tried everything and I mean every solution I could find, I tried it. I tried it your way and it didn't install so, I did it your way, this time, including deleting the cache/data from Facebook and vola! It worked!! I've been at this 3 weeks and I'm so thankful and great full for someone like you who puts up the full solution instead of part of it!

repherb

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
FIX: go download an older version from apkpure or apkmirror, try 218.0.0.3.113 and earlier until it installs.

You WILL need to enable "unknown sources" when it asks.

Cheers!

luckysoul777

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
FIX: go download an older version from apkpure or apkmirror, try 218.0.0.3.113 and earlier until it installs.

You WILL need to enable "unknown sources" when it asks.

Cheers!

I had to do the same thing except I only had to go back to 222.0.0.15.124. Do you happen to know what changes are in these newer versions to fail installation? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12