Can android detect bad sectors of an SD card (sector analysis) when reformatting it? (4.2, GT-P3113)

RandomUserName10

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
Main Question (1): Can android perform sector analysis (detection of bad sectors so that they can be avoided) on an SD card when reformatting it?

OS Version: 4.2.2
Device: Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0 (5+ years old)
SD Card: SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSD HC I (3+ years old)

Reason I need to know this: For the past 1.5+ years, the SD card has had an intermittent failure were it is sometimes not readable in my tablet, and lots of files were at one point moved to the 'LostDir' folder and renamed. Eventually, even windows 8 on my home's desktop computer failed to detect/read it reliably. The card was then taken to a Windows 7 computer at work, were the files were copied off it. The card has not really been used since then, although I know that it currently works. I need to know if reformatting it will be worth the trouble of putting whatever files and apps on it back.
Question 2: If I were to reformat, and the SD card was readable in my tablet, should I uninstall apps manually first to back up the application data to Google? (I would like to continue were I left off with my various games.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Moving apps to the SD card is One.Of.The.Worst.Ideas.Ever. Don't move apps to the SD card. (You barely save any space anyway, because the app is moved in pieces, and each piece leaves a link in internal storage, pointing to where it is on the card. If the pieces are around the same size as a link, there's nothing saved. And if a piece of the app that writes data is on the SD card, it's constantly writing to the SD card - which will destroy the card.)

2. Android doesn't test the card, but there are apps that do write/read tests to discover bad spots. (I don't think that any of them spare bad parts - either the card is good or it's bad.) Look in Play for sd. Most of them that do write/read tests are good. (Look for the ones that test the card, not the ones that test the speed - those only write relatively small files and may miss a lot of bad spots.)

RandomUserName10

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I only have 8 GB to start with (internal), so the SD card does make a difference, but thanks for answering.
Also, what if I format with Windows, then will it mark off teh bad sectors and will my tablet be able to understand not to use them?