How do I fix missing sounds for some *some* features

0rangeCreme

May 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone; First, hope all is well and you and yours are safe & sane!

So, I have a Samsung S4 mini I257M (I know, it's older, but I love its smaller size--my mildly arthritic hands appreciate its small size.)

Anyway, the phone does not make any sounds, or for that matter, vibrate, for these features ... calendar, text messages, voicemail.

For all of those, the phone only shows the written notification on the screen. There are no sounds and no vibrations.

As far as I know, I do have all the sound settings correctly.
--- Settings/My Device/Sound - All the apropos settings are on.
--- Messaging/Settings - All the Notification settings are on.
--- Calendar/Settings - All the Notification settings are on.
--- Voicemail - Just the tiny icon in the upper Notification bar appears; no notification sound occurs.

In case it was a sim card issue, I put the sim card into another, even older, phone, and tested a calendar reminder alarm, which worked--the phone played the sound. :confused: So I suppose there's an issue with the phone itself; but I don't know what - other sounds are working fine.

Any HELP would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

Last edited:

0rangeCreme

May 14, 2020
Visit site
Thank you B.Diddy for your reply, especially since I now have to report that I am a dodo :eek:

I am a new smart phone user, but I am usually a quick learner. When I first activated the phone, it had all sorts of icons on that top notification bar, including all sorts of ads. So in an attempt to stop those ad notifications, I went to the blocking feature, in settings, and put a check mark next to Notifications--to block what I thought was just those ads.

I didn't realize until recently that the usage of the word "notification" applied to any and all kinds of notifications; however, I completely forgot that I made that setting to block "notifications".

So of course, within minutes of me posting my question, I was perusing my phone one more time and like a brick falling on my head, I remembered about the Blocking setting.

So now, of course, all the sounds I was missing are back! So you see, I am a dodo; and I'm sorry to have wasted your time, which, BTW, I truly appreciate.

THANK YOU, and again SORRY! :-[

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
LOL, I'm glad you figured it out! And thanks as well for detailing what you did to fix it -- this can help others facing the same issue as well.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci