Its official! Android Kitkat!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yep, true.

My question is what will it bring to the table? Google is already tackling fragmentation through the Google Play Services strategy, meaning OS updates now are all behind-the-scenes stuff. I wonder if we'll start seeing more interoperability between Android devices with this release.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I hope kit-kat runs just as well on entry level devices as it does on hi end devices like WP8 else i am switching to WP8.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, 4.4 (I had to correct typing from 4.3....lol) will bring some of the mess that fragmentation brings together.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
has anyone visited kitkat.com yet? its pretty awesome what they did. they took the video and just broke it down to clearly mock the way the iphone is blasted on apples site. i love it.

anyways. we all know this is a (positive) marketing gimmick for google/nestle which is a win/win for everyone. theres nothing not to love on this approach. since this is only jumping the OS to 4.5 this is bound to last for 6-10months until 4.6 (or 5.0?) becomes official paving way for lemon meringue? i honestly believe it will go from 4.5 to 5.0 with L because weve been in 4.x.x too long and have already had 2 switches from ICS --> JB with minor updates in between. what does everyone else think?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
So Kitkat is coming before key lime pie? If so isn't key lime pie coming out with the next nexus (5?)? Ugh !!!! Just take my money key lime pie device !

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
So Kitkat is coming before key lime pie? If so isn't key lime pie coming out with the next nexus (5?)? Ugh !!!! Just take my money key lime pie device !

there is no key lime pie. its going to be kitkat. the next OS has nothing to do with the next nexus (if one is even announced)

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
And thank god it wasn't Key Lime Pie. It proves that these "insiders" and "analyst" don't know any more then we do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
has anyone visited kitkat.com yet? its pretty awesome what they did. they took the video and just broke it down to clearly mock the way the iphone is blasted on apples site. i love it.

anyways. we all know this is a (positive) marketing gimmick for google/nestle which is a win/win for everyone. theres nothing not to love on this approach. since this is only jumping the OS to 4.5 this is bound to last for 6-10months until 4.6 (or 5.0?) becomes official paving way for lemon meringue? i honestly believe it will go from 4.5 to 5.0 with L because weve been in 4.x.x too long and have already had 2 switches from ICS --> JB with minor updates in between. what does everyone else think?

Omg, that is so awesome. Thanks for sharing this

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
And thank god it wasn't Key Lime Pie. It proves that these "insiders" and "analyst" don't know any more then we do.

BBC News - Android KitKat unveiled in Google surprise move

Executives from the two firms met face to face at a secret event held at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in February to finalise the details. To promote the alliance, Nestle now plans to deliver more than 50 million chocolate bars featuring the Android mascot to shops in 19 markets, including the UK, US, Brazil, India, Japan and Russia. The packaging had to be produced in advance over the past two months. But despite the scale of the operation, the two firms managed to keep the story a secret. "Keeping it confidential was paramount to Google's strategy," acknowledges Mr Bula. "Absolutely nothing leaked."

The Android team also took steps to preserve the element of surprise, notifying only a "tight team" about the decision. "We kept calling the name Key Lime Pie internally and even when we referred to it with partners," revealed Mr Lagerling. "If we had said, 'The K release is, by the way, secret', then people would have racked their minds trying to work out what it was going to be." Most Google employees will have learned of the news only when a statue of the Android mascot made out of KitKats was unveiled at the firm's Mountain View, California, campus.

It's not simply a case of mistaken insiders/analysts/experts. It was intentional. :)

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Originally, Google was going to use the long-rumored codename Key Lime Pie, but after realizing that "very few people actually know the taste of a key lime pie," the company opted to change the name at the end of last year. Someone (presumably on the Android team) suggested KitKat as a name since the company keeps KitKats "in the kitchen for late-night coding" snacks.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ndroid-4-4-kitkat-heres-how-it-all-went-down/

Posted via Android Central App

anon6136263

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Please make icons the same size and high resolution as STANDARD. I'm really tired of seeing various sized icons and various resolutions of icons ever since I switched to Android.

And for the love of god, make the "tap to scroll to the top of the screen" a standard feature.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2