Android KitKat? Wish list!

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Screen rotation by a gesture.
I would like to be able to shut off auto screen rotation and use two fingers to rotate the screen.
Also - A QUIT BUTTON!
I hate that some apps require me to use the "back" button 20x to exit.
Others (Browser & Chrome) have no way to quit.
At least someone wrote a quit button ad on for Firefox.

Oh, and release it for the older Samsung Galaxy S2 and S2 Skyrockets.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was surprised that Android didn't have a native text messaging app when I switched over. I didn't realize how much iOS had over Android in even the basic stuff. Bizarre. Hopefully they get a move on with Hangouts and allow me to send pictures and video without over compressing the damn files.

what are you talking about??? Android has native text messaging app.

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The nexus 7 has multi window support?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Only Samsung devices have multi-window support as of right now. There is talk and demos of Rockchip having a multi-window solution. This is one of those things that would really offer increased productivity and functionality on Android Tablets over iPads...

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Android needs a feature like airplay. Chromecast comes close.

Chromecast does not close, it absolutely blows Airplay away! They just need to release the SDK out of beta so developers can release apps. Then get it implemented directly into Android, GoogleTV, and third party hardware solutions. Once this is done you will understand why Chromecast is soooo much better then Airplay...

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
If anyone on the Google or Android team is listening:

1. SMS/Hangouts integration. I don't see why these are two seperate apps. Merging these two together gives Hangouts a wider possible userbase and also cleans up the cluttered Stock Android OS.

Agreed!

2. Auto-home rotation. It's on the Nexus 7, why not any Nexus phones? Make it mandatory Google.

Just use a third party launcher (Apex or Nova). It's the first thing I do on every Android device I have simply for the advanced options and backup/restore functionality.

And on a whole other level...

3. For the love of God, make your own cheap phone network. You have the money, you definitely have the power to gain infrastructure. Screw Verizon and AT&T and Sprint. Bring on G-Mobile!

This is one of the dumbest things I have heard to date...

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Phablets too. My major reason for wanting to get a Phablet is muli-screen. Multi-screen windows might be too small on a 4.7" device though.

I have Multi-screen on my S4 (5 inch screen) and NEVER use it but I would use it all the time on my Nexus 10...

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
How about give us the ability to move all of the bloatware onto the SD card.
And the ability to ignore certain apps in the update available notifications.
I don't use a lot of the apps I am stuck with (thanks to AT&T and Google).
I would like to be able to choose "Update All" and have it ignore the apps I choose to ignore.
Or, put check boxes next to the apps in the update list (Google Play > My Apps) so I can
select all the ones I want to update and say "Go"

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have Multi-screen on my S4 (5 inch screen) and NEVER use it but I would use it all the time on my Nexus 10...

That was my impression when trying them in a store that the windows are too small to be useful on a S4. It just becomes barely usable on a Note 2.

Posted via Android Central App

bastecklein

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I think multi-window as standard for 10+ inch devices would be a game changer. Time for Android to take over the Desktop space also. So long, MSFT.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forum Fiend v1.0 Beta.

mmkaznowski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I would certainly like to see the following:

1) New holo ui: a very basic white theme with red fonts
2) New animations in places: When changing from 1 setting to anotehr (ex. when you go to settings then the animation can be between settings and display)
3) Some changes to the launcher, it is very limited.
4) The camera software should be optimised more, pics taken with it aren't the best however I love the interface on it
5) The camera has to have more features, more scene modes etc.
6) Some more killer-apps. I am not talking about bloat, samsung will do that for you - they like to make bad software. Google on the other hand makes incredibly innovative applicationns that you will actually use.
7) Lockscreen - custom patterns will open something different. (I saw the patent ;))
8) Android was built for multitasking - maybe have some sort of option to "float apps" or something similar to Samsung's multiwindow

Can't think of much else that I really want

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Font changing ability without root.. Themes like in Nokia and other phones

This would be great, but with the rise of Roboto and recent changes to it, I don't think Google will so easily open up to officially supporting other fonts.

few things i would like to see added:

Native multi window,
HOLO widget guidelines,

The widget guidelines have been improved, but you're right that they need to be better. Too many differences between widgets. I know I'd use more if they all had a more unified look/feel.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Lots of good ideas here.

My thoughts:

1. Fix the lockscreen widgets, especially the default clock DOES NOT NEED TO BE A WIDGET. It is way too confusing when you accidentally hide the unlock icon by expanding this widget.
2. Fix the stock launcher - mainly the margins for icons should be much closer to the edges of the screen (like you can do in Nova launcher) and the google search bar should be a removable widget. Having it stuck up there is probably the number one reason people use a custom launcher post-ICS.
3. Transparent navigation bar for the home screen would look nice (a la Moto X)
4. there needs to be a dismiss all option or gesture for multitasking. Having to individually swipe away all apps is tedious.
5. make the quick settings customizable and add more options. I still use a third party app in addition to the quick settings so that I can access all the settings I want (tethering, rotation lock, gps etc.) on my phone. Should be able to use just the default quick settings.
6. Move as many important UI buttons in apps to the BOTTOM of screens as possible. Last time I checked phones were only getting bigger. Why is the menu icon for chrome, google play music etc. at the top of the display?!
7. The stock messaging app needs to allow you to see more than 3 lines of a text at once as you are composing it. Really frustrating.
8. Somehow make the widget folder easier to navigate. Mine is a complete mess right now. Takes minutes to find the widget I'm looking for. Maybe have all widgets for a single app grouped in a folder?
9. Project Butter Part 2. All awesome project butter goodness is completely gone now for both my Gnex and Nexus 7 (2012) - yes I know I need to upgrade.

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I like some of the ideas listed. I like the idea of a "Do Not Disturb" for all notifications save for those starred in Contacts. Do I really need to know at 3 in the morning that I can lock in my TaxAct price for next year? Or the T-Mobile text telling me my bill is now available?

This would be a nice feature, and a good aside to what I really hope to see: a unified messaging system. I want all my Google communications (Voice, messaging, hangouts, Google+, etc) as well as phone calls all in one location. While they're at it, add MMS support to Voice! Other options like optimizing widgets, new/customizable color schemes, active notifications, and lockscreen options would be sweet, too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781