Will my device receive the update to Android 4.4?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
This is a post to nip a lot of similar ones in the bud. Most people will be wondering what devices will be supported, and which will fall by the wayside. I really don't have any solid evidence of anything, but what I do have is common sense and knowledge of the history of Android updates across different OEMs. That said, these probably aren't facts, but what they are may be pretty close to how it works. Let's tackle the question!
Your device will fall into a few categories. I'm going to go one by one and answer the question.

Nexus Devices:
Mostly, yes. Anything Nexus 4+, both Nexus 7s, and the Nexus 10 are overwhelmingly likely to see this come to the device. There MAY even be some love for the GSM Galaxy Nexus, but CERTAINLY NOT THE VERIZON model. (Did I make that clear enough?)

Non-Nexus Devices:
These fall into a couple of subcategories:
Current Flagships - This means HTC One, SGS4 and any other huge current devices. They will probably see this near their end of life. You should note it probably won't be soon.
Past Flagships - Note 2, SGS3, HTC Butterfly etc. There's a strong chance these will not see the update, however there is a possibility. It all depends on the workloads of the OEM coders and how long the OEMs want to support them. Also, if there will be a security fix or something down the line this would increase the chance they just roll it into 4.4.
Old Flagships, mid rangers, budget devices, niche devices - No, you're not getting it. Just no.

It's ok not to agree with me. I get that and would like to have ONE THREAD to discuss this stuff. Please post under here with your disagreements of my assessment and what you think. This is a discussion forum, just be respectful and maybe correct me if you know something I don't know!

Have fun!

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is a post to nip a lot of similar ones in the bud. Most people will be wondering what devices will be supported, and which will fall by the wayside. I really don't have any solid evidence of anything, but what I do have is common sense and knowledge of the history of Android updates across different OEMs. That said, these probably aren't facts, but what they are may be pretty close to how it works. Let's tackle the question!
Your device will fall into a few categories. I'm going to go one by one and answer the question.

Nexus Devices:
Mostly, yes. Anything Nexus 4+, both Nexus 7s, and the Nexus 10 are overwhelmingly likely to see this come to the device. There MAY even be some love for the GSM Galaxy Nexus, but CERTAINLY NOT THE VERIZON model. (Did I make that clear enough?)

Non-Nexus Devices:
These fall into a couple of subcategories:
Current Flagships - This means HTC One, SGS4 and any other huge current devices. They will probably see this near their end of life. You should note it probably won't be soon.
Past Flagships - Note 2, SGS3, HTC Butterfly etc. There's a strong chance these will not see the update, however there is a possibility. It all depends on the workloads of the OEM coders and how long the OEMs want to support them. Also, if there will be a security fix or something down the line this would increase the chance they just roll it into 4.4.
Old Flagships, mid rangers, budget devices, niche devices - No, you're not getting it. Just no.

It's ok not to agree with me. I get that and would like to have ONE THREAD to discuss this stuff. Please post under here with your disagreements of my assessment and what you think. This is a discussion forum, just be respectful and maybe correct me if you know something I don't know!

Have fun!

Highly inclined to agree with the rough breakdown. But that is the great side of rooting and flashing a custom ROM.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
As Golfdriver points out, this was in reference to OFFICIAL support from OEMs. Thank you for posting a totally sensical reply. I appreciate it.

His point that developers out there will be hacking this into phones is 100% correct. They'll be working hard and you'll be reaping rewards of their work. Be sure to say thanks to the developers or even toss them some cash via paypal. They do a great job.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
How about rollout delay to devices? I believe people are going to be spamming the threads with. "where's my update???" "I live in blah blah when will I get it?"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How about rollout delay to devices? I believe people are going to be spamming the threads with. "where's my update???" "I live in blah blah when will I get it?"

Well, I think pure Nexi (plural of nexus???) should be getting it very soon. Probably within a couple weeks.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
We saw the changes in 4.3 and API Revision 18 (such as the fused low-power location API in Google Play Services) announced at I/O, and there was a reasonable delay before they were released. I'd expect that we may see similar basic information sometime in the next few weeks, with the release coinciding with the next Nexus device (keeping in mind the time of year, the Nexus 4 price drop, and lack of 8GB Nexus 4 restocking).

It matches up. Only time will tell.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Is there any other confirmed information of 4.4? I know it's early but like Scott says there will be tons of buzz in the coming weeks.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
you didnt mention anything about the X....

i feel as if the next nexus will be by moto to show off 4.5 and then all the new motorola's (new droids+X) will receive the update and then the current flagships/nexii

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
you didnt mention anything about the X....

i feel as if the next nexus will be by moto to show off 4.5 and then all the new motorola's (new droids+X) will receive the update and then the current flagships/nexii

We haven't even gotten 4.4 yet, and you're concerned with 4.5? And, even if Motorola is tasked with the next Nexus device, all "current" Nexii will receive the update, before the new Droids or the X.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Agreed on the breakdown. I think my SGS3 will see 4.3 and that's it. That is, if I don't replace it with the GNote 3 beforehand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton