Will my device receive the update to Android 4.4?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
We haven't even gotten 4.4 yet, and you're concerned with 4.5? And, even if Motorola is tasked with the next Nexus device, all "current" Nexii will receive the update, before the new Droids or the X.
Absolutely correct. Nexus devices will be the top priority. They always have been.

What about the Motorola ultra...
As far as the Droid branded devices, they probably will receive the update. This probably won't be nearly as fast as the other device, as we're talking about Verizon. Keep in mind Verizon's track record with getting phones updated is the worst among the US big four. Updating is not a priority to them.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
There MAY even be some love for the GSM Galaxy Nexus, but CERTAINLY NOT THE VERIZON model. (Did I make that clear enough?)

I'll take that bet. Xoom LTE on VZW just got Jellybean, so I could see the VZW GNex getting KitKat around March or April. If Google is really serious about trying to get this on all devices, as they say, there might only be a 3 month delay.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Well, I think pure Nexi (plural of nexus???) should be getting it very soon. Probably within a couple weeks.

I'd assume longer. 4.3 was just released. I have a feeling this is a lot more about generating buzz than it is about a release around the corner.

I just posted this in another thread, so I'll just copy&paste my reply...

Based on how Google has done things recently, one could guess that the release of the next version of Android (4.4) will coincide with the release of the next Nexus phone and 10" tablet, both due in late fall.

Once that happens, factory images for all other recent Nexus devices should be available almost immediately, which at the very least will include the current Nexus 4, N10 and N7 (with OTAs rolled out a short time later). Some older Nexus devices may be supported as well, but it's hard to speculate past that.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
We haven't even gotten 4.4 yet, and you're concerned with 4.5? And, even if Motorola is tasked with the next Nexus device, all "current" Nexii will receive the update, before the new Droids or the X.

my bad, i just realized i typed 4.5 opposed to 4.4. i think i may have done that in other threads too. oooops :-\

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Can't say I disagree in any way. I am betting that the Vzw GNex will have a working ROM within 2-3 hours of a code release (either via OTA or a purchase). 4.3 was about 4 hours for me this last time. Either way, it'll be academic. VZW Gnex is becoming an alarm clock/tinkering device tomorrow when the Moto X arrives. I'd be willing to bet my shoes that the Moto X gets it someday, but just like other OEM's, it might not be quick at all. Luckily the Nexus 7 will have it to play with the functionality in the mean time. :)

hX-rAh1e8YqaODlKyyLhrkW6iEpW2-JG9UFS8eiIqmo=w155-h207-p-no

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

What about the Motorola ultra...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Can't say I disagree in any way. I am betting that the Vzw GNex will have a working ROM within 2-3 hours of a code release (either via OTA or a purchase). 4.3 was about 4 hours for me this last time. Either way, it'll be academic. VZW Gnex is becoming an alarm clock/tinkering device tomorrow when the Moto X arrives. I'd be willing to bet my shoes that the Moto X gets it someday, but just like other OEM's, it might not be quick at all. Luckily the Nexus 7 will have it to play with the functionality in the mean time. :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/hX-rAh1e8YqaODlKyyLhrkW6iEpW2-JG9UFS8eiIqmo=w155-h207-p-no

It'll probably be fasttracked to the Moto X. Just a guess.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I would be surprised if the S3 doesn't get it. The S2 got JB. I just imagine it will roll into it about the time that no one really cares anymore. I'm sure it's years away, but I imagine it would eventually show.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind Verizon's track record with getting phones updated is the worst among the US big four.

I'd say that AT&T is much worse than Verizon, when it comes to updating phones. AT&T's SGS3 didn't receive 4.1.2 until July 31, which is about 2.5 months after Verizon.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an AT&T customer.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd say that AT&T is much worse than Verizon, when it comes to updating phones. AT&T's SGS3 didn't receive 4.1.2 until July 31, which is about 2.5 months after Verizon.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an AT&T customer.

I've already gotten a few OTAs for my HTC One. I've been impressed with AT&T.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Any phone with NFC should be able to get KitKat...

1. Install/Update Google Wallet to latest version
  2. Input Card Information as payment option in Google Wallet
  3. Stroll down to the nearest Qwicki-Mart
  4. Use Google Wallet to purchase a KitKat
  5. "Thank You, Come Again!"

I fail to see where the anxiety comes in....

Signed,
Complacent N4 Owner :p

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Any phone with NFC should be able to get KitKat...

1. Install/Update Google Wallet to latest version
  2. Input Card Information as payment option in Google Wallet
  3. Stroll down to the nearest Qwicki-Mart
  4. Use Google Wallet to purchase a KitKat
  5. "Thank You, Come Again!"

I fail to see where the anxiety comes in....

Signed,
Complacent N4 Owner :p

Except, you know, every variant of the HTC One but Sprint.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/hX-rAh1e8YqaODlKyyLhrkW6iEpW2-JG9UFS8eiIqmo=w155-h207-p-no

I'll bet the X gets it before other OEMs. Not because of favoritism, rather due to how close to vanilla it is and how easy it'll be for the coders to port. How much customization and extra features go is amazing. You might like all the Galaxy features, or like me, the HTC One features in Sense. They're great, no joke. But all of that extra stuff means slower updates, as the coders have to make sure all of those features work with the latest release and framework. The stuff the X has should be really easy to convert.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Doss that mean my GSIII is Also likely to receive Android 4.4 later?
I know 4.3 will hit us in the October but 4.4 is also important.

Sent from my GSIII

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Doss that mean my GSIII is Also likely to receive Android 4.4 later?
I know 4.3 will hit us in the October but 4.4 is also important.

Sent from my GSIII

I'm going to say it's unlikely, however there is hope. That hope may manifest itself in rom developers, but hope nonetheless.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to say it's unlikely, however there is hope. That hope may manifest itself in rom developers, but hope nonetheless.

But why can't S3 get 4.4? Is it because we have slower really processor or 1GB Ram (International version)? Or only Snapdragon processors will see the update?
I thought if S2 could receive the Jelly Bean update after a while prolonged wait then why can't S3 users see 4.4....:confused:

Sent from my GSIII

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
But why can't S3 get 4.4? Is it because we have slower really processor or 1GB Ram (International version)? Or only Snapdragon processors will see the update?
I thought if S2 could receive the Jelly Bean update after a while prolonged wait then why can't S3 users see 4.4....:confused:

If the Galaxy S3 doesn't receive an official update to 4.4 from Samsung (and therefore your only option would be through the custom ROM development community), it's more than likely because Samsung is choosing to end upgrade support for the device at 4.3. It wouldn't surprise me, given the Galaxy S4 and recently-announced Note and Gear products coming out. They'll likely still push out any relevant security fixes (for example, like this) and such. Even flagship devices inevitably get put on the backburner, so to speak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance