Mysterious Nexus phone in the KitKat video.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Mysterious Nexus phone shows up in Google KitKat statue video | Android Central

As seen in the still we've grabbed from the video (seen above), someone is holding onto a phone unlike we've seen before. It's big, flat, says "Nexus" on the back in landscape orientation and looks a heck of a lot like a shrunken Nexus 7 (2013) ? the materials and camera lens look nearly identical to the latest tablet.

More and more credence to the Nexus 4's successor coming very soon. Edit: here are two screenshots from the video, at 1920x1280.

Mystery-1.jpg

Mystery-2.jpg

Last edited:

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for optimism on that... I'd love a Nexus '5' with 4.4 Kit Kat and a very nice camera. Just think of the PhotoSpheres.. :p

Google did say that the next Nexus phones will have great cameras. I am very happy with the camera lens and yeah! The photospheres will be better:D just hoping for a higher quality front facer because I do a lot of hangoutsing

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
What did Jerry mean by that?

He thinks that the logo pictured in the KitKat statue video resembles an FCC logo more so than an LG one. I agree that it's very possible (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were the case), but as I said, I still think the resemblance to the LG logo is strong.

Edit: here's a bit of clarification from Jerry:

I'm not trying to say it's an HTC phone. Just that there can be lots of other stuff back there, especially on a supposed pre-production unit.

Last edited:

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that when Google bought Motorola's handset division it was to be able to produce their own branded phone rather than farm it our to others. Am I correct?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that when Google bought Motorola's handset division it was to be able to produce their own branded phone rather than farm it our to others. Am I correct?

Google had originally said that Motorola would receive no preferential treatment in the Nexus manufacturer bidding/selection process, but there have been "leaks" of both LG and Motorola testing Nexus hardware if I remember correctly. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if they at least put something together, but whether the end result is turning into the next Nexus retail phone is anyone's guess.

More information will probably make its way out over the next few weeks, as the time until a presumed launch with KitKat decreases.

cwoms167

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Honestly this looks like the back of the droid 3 like the kind of material they used...and it also looks like the same camera style as well...would be awesome to see motto use the same tech in the droids and x but with a quad processor and an amazing camera with kit Kat and a droid maxx battery

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly this looks like the back of the droid 3 like the kind of material they used...and it also looks like the same camera style as well...would be awesome to see motto use the same tech in the droids and x but with a quad processor and an amazing camera with kit Kat and a droid maxx battery

I could use a Nexus phone with Motorola's radios, that's for sure.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
VERY LG and i doubt its ant AT&T logo not an LG one :)
It doesn't look very pretty from behind - hopefully it does on official release :)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
VERY LG and i doubt its ant AT&T logo not an LG one :)
It doesn't look very pretty from behind - hopefully it does on official release :)

I wouldn't mind a very sturdy phone with the same sort of soft-touch material as the 2013 Nexus 7. It'd be different, but I think it could work if done right.