KitKat? Really?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Google's explanation involved wanting a dessert that most people had tasted. Key Lime Pie (which they mentioned they did consider) is a relatively regional dessert that many people in many regions have never tried. Kit Kat's (note the different spelling of the dessert and OS) are available world wide and are a popular candy that nearly everyone has tasted. So they decided KitKat was a better K name for their OS than Key Lime Pie.

Personal note, I'm glad we are getting another two syllable name. Many people verbally say "ICS" instead of Ice Cream Sandwich, but no one says JB instead of Jellybean. Key Lime Pie is on the verge of being so long as to be obnoxious to say and I personally don't want to listen to podcasts talking about "KLP". Although, I suppose we could have called it Android KeLP for short.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you guys, but I bought a KitKat the day I heard about the new OS because it made me hungry for one. Hopefully that won't become a trend...

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Google's explanation involved wanting a dessert that most people had tasted. Key Lime Pie (which they mentioned they did consider) is a relatively regional dessert that many people in many regions have never tried. Kit Kat's (note the different spelling of the dessert and OS) are available world wide and are a popular candy that nearly everyone has tasted. So they decided KitKat was a better K name for their OS than Key Lime Pie.
Plus you have the alliteration which gives double points in Scategories.

I like Kit Kats more than Key Lime pie (chocolate>fruit), so I'm OK with the name. I prefer my project code names to be things I like. I'm hoping for Lemonhead or Lemon drop for 'L'. I don't really like licorice or Laffy Taffy.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you guys, but I bought a KitKat the day I heard about the new OS because it made me hungry for one. Hopefully that won't become a trend...

I've had two Kit Kat's since the announcements, which is two more than I had eaten in the past 5 years.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I've ate many small kit kats since the announcement, and looking for the special ones that I can't find anywhere. I think this partnership is working. -goes to eat another kitkat-

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Personal note, I'm glad we are getting another two syllable name. Many people verbally say "ICS" instead of Ice Cream Sandwich, but no one says JB instead of Jellybean. Key Lime Pie is on the verge of being so long as to be obnoxious to say and I personally don't want to listen to podcasts talking about "KLP". Although, I suppose we could have called it Android KeLP for short.
Jellybean has 3 syllables, as does Key Lime Pie. Key Lime Pie just feels longer because it's three separate words, as opposed to Jellybean being one three-syllable word.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Jellybean has 3 syllables, as does Key Lime Pie. Key Lime Pie just feels longer because it's three separate words, as opposed to Jellybean being one three-syllable word.

True enough. Key Lime Pie just strikes me as another name that would have been abbreviated frequently when said out loud, just as Ice Cream Sandwich was. And, although they are the same number of syllables, when said out loud the way you would say them in conversation, Jellybean is said much quicker than Key Lime Pie. At least the way I say them.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think this benefits both parties and won't be surprised to see future marketing partnerships such as this.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781