KitKat? Really?

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
With the exception of the first OS and Froyo, Google's iterations of the OS have been named after the generic name of (often junk) foods. Now they've taken on the name of an actual, copyright-protected foodstuff for the next OS? Cross-advertising aside, I can't see either Google or Nestle is pressured for the cash that such a deal would demand, so to who's benefit is this? It goes without saying, it won't be the consumer - and while I hope I won't find embedded ads every time I boot up my device or popping up randomly as I use Google apps, a sudden rush of Nestle product-inspired icons or find that my online browser use is being sent to Nestle for interpretation, I also wouldn't put it past Google.

Do they expect that simply having KitKat as part of the Android experience mean that users will be more inclined to have an irrational need for the real thing? Is there proof there was a sudden uptick in jellybean sales when the current OS came out? Or are we simply finding this is a start to 3rd Party products sponsoring our use of unrelated products? What's next? The Jim Bean Chromecast? Or is it simply that Google is further drifting away from its mantra?

Stop trying to be cute (or worse, monetize users who have already done you the favour of buying into your products), Google.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well clearly the name is creating buzz, so it is working. Realistically it only benefits both parties. How large or small that impact will be, who knows.

blazer236ix

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you read the articles that clearly state that no money was involved and that Google just wanted to use the name?

Posted From my HTC ONE via Android Central App

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, no Google wouldn't do that... They got the rights to use kitkat under 24 hours... Its just a name,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Key Lime Pie did not exactly roll off the tounge and there are limited choices for alternatives that still begin with K. Also a pie would have not made nearly as nice of a statue as a cute Android robot made out of chocolate sticks does.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I am so stupid! I only just realized now that the version names are in alphabetical order.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I am so stupid! I only just realized now that the version names are in alphabetical order.

Yup, LOL. Don't feel bad. It took awhile for me to figure it out too. But now that the name is known, let the speculation begin for the name of the next version! Lemon Drop? Lemon Pie? Licorice?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it was a good idea for android to go that direction. The last two years Samsung (s3 and 4 ) have really brought android phones to the forefront of the smart phone race.. Yes other brands have been great but its Samsung and apple you see plastered at Walmart.. Where the average market is. So going with a well known brand name of candy is just furthing the exposure and it can only be good for everyone. Android has came a long way.. U can read on here people who have more faith in the android system, and its actually a good time to further the android exposure.. Esp w apple venturing into making different models of the iPhone now.

It was a good move, and yes the icon fits almost perfect as a kitkat bar. And I thought it was cool that the name key lime pie had become so wide known they secretly changed it to throw a curve ball. This technology is so forward thinking it was a common phrase before It was even released.. Kuddos for stirring up candy bowel a little!

By the way my guess for the next one is licorice...

Using my Moto Droid Maxx

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Well now I must be the last one standing that didn't see that alphabetical order..... Now I'm upset since Key Lime Pie is my favorite desert and it will never get the os name.

Android versions have been developed under a codename and released according to alphabetical order: Cupcake (1.5), Donut (1.6), Eclair (2.0?2.1), Froyo (2.2?2.2.3), Gingerbread (2.3?2.3.7), Honeycomb (3.0?3.2.6), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0?4.0.4), Jelly Bean (4.1?4.3), and KitKat (4.4+).

Magnetic_dud

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you read the articles that clearly state that no money was involved

Can you prove that some managers at Google didn't get some millions in a secret bank account in Swiss?
I totally hate to have a free (as in speech) operating system that's named as a real snack made by a big evil corporation like Nestl? (see what are they doing in Africa with baby milk)
It's a big advertising for Nestl?, they will make (more) billions now

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
all the sources state no money switched hands. While we definitely can't prove it, it is a possibility that this is a mutually beneficial marketing ploy.

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Lemon Meringue! I have a good friend from high school that works for Google that told me. Its also one reason they didn't go with Key Lime Pie. Two pies' back to back, they wanted to mix it up some I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, just kidding! But it would make a good L desert.

Badroid

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think it's just a name, you shouldn't make such a big deal about it. I think the OS names are actually quite fitting surprisingly, don't ask me how, the name just feels like it fits to the OS.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Do you really think you are going to get Nestle ads baked into the OS?? It's easy to see how BOTH Android and Nestle benefit without exchanging any money.. I like Key Lime Pie better as well.. but it's not that big of a deal.

Everyone Android fanboy is now thinking about Kit Kats.. and every Kit Kat bar now advertises Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan