New KitKAt 4.4 Images Leaked, what do you think???

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
  1. The Dialer icon is... odd. It just doesn't sit right with me. Neutral on the App Drawer icon. I'll happily take the transparent navbar and statusbar, but may adjust it at some point. The shadow/gradient approach is interesting.
  2. The Location revamp in Settings is fantastic, and is long overdue. Recent location requests? Fantastic. Now we can see which apps can request our location as well as which apps have requested our location. This is a very good thing.
  3. Tap & Pay in Settings? I'm a Google Wallet and NFC fan, so I'm happy there. Google also acquired Bump, so I've been waiting to see some sort of proximity-based functionality incorporated into Android at some point.
  4. The white/grayscale statusbar icons? I was a fan of the light blue look, but I also have nothing against this change. It's clean and simple, and will more closely match the white/grayscale color scheme of notification icons.
  5. Edit: page indicator dots in the app drawer? I'll take it.
  6. The photos show both swipe-for-camera and a standalone camera button on the lockscreen. If this is something you can choose between in Settings, I would be very happy. Additionally, I haven't been a fan of the lack of UX separation between lockscreen widget interaction and lockscreen widget editing (i.e. swiping to the left and touch-and-hold allow for add/remove of lockscreen widgets without some sort of 'buffer' action; this has annoyed me more than once).

I'm going to wait until I can give it a try myself before really judging it, but overall I welcome what we've "seen" so far of 4.4.

Last edited:

adrianramos87

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I do like the new location history settings as well, one thing I couldn't help but notice was the absence of the stock "messaging" application... That makes me think that hangouts will possibly be the default messaging application... ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's a small gripe, but I hate the new phone icon. It looks so crude compared to the current one. I hope we can customize the color of the notification bar icons as speculated in earlier leaks. I do like the transparent aspects of this revamped UI. Overall, I'm not totally sold on some of the aesthetic choices, but new functionality is always exciting.

adrianramos87

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I definitely liked the blue icons. The white seems more like iOS or MIUI to me. But that is just my humble opinion.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I do like the new location history settings as well, one thing I couldn't help but notice was the absence of the stock "messaging" application... That makes me think that hangouts will possibly be the default messaging application... ?

Yes, MMS/SMS will be integrate into G Hangouts. There have been numerous leacks about this

adrianramos87

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, MMS/SMS will be integrate into G Hangouts. There have been numerous leacks about this

Yeah I have seen some of the leaks, but I thought of it as more of an option to have your MMS/SMS received through hangouts, seems like it will be the defualt option at least on Stock Android.

Ualrdynodo

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
The new pictures look cool the only things I didn't like were the look of the (fake?) dialer and the white font in the nav bar (I'm really feeling the blue colored font). Hopefully 4.4 gets active notifications like the moto x and nav bar toggles that can be accessed without pressing one more button.

Posted via Android Central App

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The new pictures look cool the only things I didn't like were the look of the (fake?) dialer and the white font in the nav bar (I'm really feeling the blue colored font). Hopefully 4.4 gets active notifications like the moto x and nav bar toggles that can be accessed without pressing one more button.

Yeah I don't like the white on the status bar at all either. And you can, by using a two fingure swipe down. But thats annoying, I say swipe on the left for notifications, and right for quick toggles like on tablets. Also the toggle actually toggles, not a shortcut.

Also unsure about the hangouts replacing the messaging app, well yes it has sms support, and not having to paying the carriers. People are used to 'messaging' and just saying hangouts will probably lead to confusion. I say put hangouts in messaging. So you have carrier / im / video / voice all in the messaging app. But it would still be called hangouts like you open messaging, choose someone and click a button to start a 'hangout'. I like that.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm welcoming what we've seen leaked for 4.4. Regarding the Hangouts discussion, someone in another thread suggested changing the name of it out they are going to combine everything into one service under hangout simply to prevent confusion. I think that's a fantastic thought. Will it bother me? No.

Let's officially announced this thing already!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

coldjeanz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
these updates to the UI aren't significant at all to HTC Sense users. We already have a transparent notification bar and white icons :(

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
these updates to the UI aren't significant at all to HTC Sense users. We already have a transparent notification bar and white icons :(
Pretty sure its not significant to anyone. Hope there are some real UI updates. Not that anything necessarily needs updating but its nice to see new things. Im sure if I spent a long time thinking about it I could come up with good ideas but thats what I pay google for!

rupam95

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like almost everything except the change of the icons from Blue to white.

I say give us an option to change it to whatever color we want.

Joshua Bluehawk

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna say this about the dialer icon... Upon first looking at it I thought it was hideous... However, I am currently using it on my phone now and I am liking it a lot, actually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol