10-26-2013 08:02 PM
38 12
tools
    Alleged Nexus 5 images show Android 4.4 KitKat interface changes | Android Central

So I didn't see this posted anywhere else, and if it was sorry for the double post, but I am wondering what everyone thinks of these images of what could possibly be KitKAt...
    10-11-2013 12:19 PM
    1. The Dialer icon is... odd. It just doesn't sit right with me. Neutral on the App Drawer icon. I'll happily take the transparent navbar and statusbar, but may adjust it at some point. The shadow/gradient approach is interesting.
    2. The Location revamp in Settings is fantastic, and is long overdue. Recent location requests? Fantastic. Now we can see which apps can request our location as well as which apps have requested our location. This is a very good thing.
    3. Tap & Pay in Settings? I'm a Google Wallet and NFC fan, so I'm happy there. Google also acquired Bump, so I've been waiting to see some sort of proximity-based functionality incorporated into Android at some point.
    4. The white/grayscale statusbar icons? I was a fan of the light blue look, but I also have nothing against this change. It's clean and simple, and will more closely match the white/grayscale color scheme of notification icons.
    5. Edit: page indicator dots in the app drawer? I'll take it.
    6. The photos show both swipe-for-camera and a standalone camera button on the lockscreen. If this is something you can choose between in Settings, I would be very happy. Additionally, I haven't been a fan of the lack of UX separation between lockscreen widget interaction and lockscreen widget editing (i.e. swiping to the left and touch-and-hold allow for add/remove of lockscreen widgets without some sort of 'buffer' action; this has annoyed me more than once).

I'm going to wait until I can give it a try myself before really judging it, but overall I welcome what we've "seen" so far of 4.4.
    10-11-2013 02:08 PM
    I do like the new location history settings as well, one thing I couldn't help but notice was the absence of the stock "messaging" application... That makes me think that hangouts will possibly be the default messaging application... ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.
    10-11-2013 06:05 PM
    It's a small gripe, but I hate the new phone icon. It looks so crude compared to the current one. I hope we can customize the color of the notification bar icons as speculated in earlier leaks. I do like the transparent aspects of this revamped UI. Overall, I'm not totally sold on some of the aesthetic choices, but new functionality is always exciting.
    10-11-2013 08:52 PM
    Yeah I definitely liked the blue icons. The white seems more like iOS or MIUI to me. But that is just my humble opinion.

10-11-2013 08:53 PM
    This is the major new feature of Kitkat! Not the little ui changes!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free
    Attached Thumbnails New KitKAt 4.4 Images Leaked, what do you think???-uploadfromtaptalk1381580303541.jpg  
    10-12-2013 07:18 AM
    I do like the new location history settings as well, one thing I couldn't help but notice was the absence of the stock "messaging" application... That makes me think that hangouts will possibly be the default messaging application... ?

Yes, MMS/SMS will be integrate into G Hangouts. There have been numerous leacks about this
    10-12-2013 10:42 AM
    Yes, MMS/SMS will be integrate into G Hangouts. There have been numerous leacks about this
    Yeah I have seen some of the leaks, but I thought of it as more of an option to have your MMS/SMS received through hangouts, seems like it will be the defualt option at least on Stock Android.
    10-12-2013 01:22 PM
    This is the major new feature of Kitkat! Not the little ui changes!
    Yep. If this is to be believed, KitKat will be a big push for Google's Android experience. This is a very good thing.
    10-12-2013 02:34 PM
    The new pictures look cool the only things I didn't like were the look of the (fake?) dialer and the white font in the nav bar (I'm really feeling the blue colored font). Hopefully 4.4 gets active notifications like the moto x and nav bar toggles that can be accessed without pressing one more button.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-12-2013 10:40 PM
    The new pictures look cool the only things I didn't like were the look of the (fake?) dialer and the white font in the nav bar (I'm really feeling the blue colored font). Hopefully 4.4 gets active notifications like the moto x and nav bar toggles that can be accessed without pressing one more button.

Yeah I don't like the white on the status bar at all either. And you can, by using a two fingure swipe down. But thats annoying, I say swipe on the left for notifications, and right for quick toggles like on tablets. Also the toggle actually toggles, not a shortcut.

Also unsure about the hangouts replacing the messaging app, well yes it has sms support, and not having to paying the carriers. People are used to 'messaging' and just saying hangouts will probably lead to confusion. I say put hangouts in messaging. So you have carrier / im / video / voice all in the messaging app. But it would still be called hangouts like you open messaging, choose someone and click a button to start a 'hangout'. I like that.
    10-13-2013 12:50 AM
    I'm welcoming what we've seen leaked for 4.4. Regarding the Hangouts discussion, someone in another thread suggested changing the name of it out they are going to combine everything into one service under hangout simply to prevent confusion. I think that's a fantastic thought. Will it bother me? No.

Let's officially announced this thing already!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    tr-1 and J T M like this.
    10-13-2013 10:13 AM
    Moar Leaks!

Still white icons, want to know what thats about. Google settins, voice search, settings have recieved new icons.
    10-14-2013 02:08 PM
    these updates to the UI aren't significant at all to HTC Sense users. We already have a transparent notification bar and white icons
    10-15-2013 09:23 PM
    these updates to the UI aren't significant at all to HTC Sense users. We already have a transparent notification bar and white icons
    Pretty sure its not significant to anyone. Hope there are some real UI updates. Not that anything necessarily needs updating but its nice to see new things. Im sure if I spent a long time thinking about it I could come up with good ideas but thats what I pay google for!
    10-16-2013 09:12 AM
    I like almost everything except the change of the icons from Blue to white.

I say give us an option to change it to whatever color we want.

10-16-2013 02:48 PM
    I'm gonna say this about the dialer icon... Upon first looking at it I thought it was hideous... However, I am currently using it on my phone now and I am liking it a lot, actually.
    10-16-2013 03:56 PM
    Other than graphical changes what else is Kitkat supposed to bring features wise?

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4
    10-22-2013 05:26 PM
    Other than graphical changes what else is Kitkat supposed to bring features wise?

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4
    Probably we can expect increased performance, lower RAM usage, maybe smoother UI transitions.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7
    10-22-2013 06:00 PM
    Probably we can expect increased performance, lower RAM usage, maybe smoother UI transitions.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7
    In other words, we have no idea.
    10-22-2013 06:48 PM
    Whens the google event?
    10-23-2013 05:39 AM
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-23-2013 11:41 AM
    Whens the google event?
    Tomorrow

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-23-2013 11:42 AM
    ?