Google to launch Android 4.4's launcher on the Play Store?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
After Googling information about Android KitKat, I found something that I think interests many Android users.

As many of you have noticed through the Nexus 5 leak, the launcher on Android 4.4 has noticeably changed. That launcher is now called "Google Experience" and after some guys managed to look into it's code, the .apk starts with ".com.google.android.appname", rather than ".com.android.appname". The former is used for Google apps released onto the Play Store now while the latter is used before they were put onto the Play Store (for all you non-tech geeks).

What does this tell us? Google may be launching the KitKat launcher on the Play Store for Android devices that run any version of Android starting from FroYo.

It's a rumor, but if this is true, this should please many Android users who either use a device that filled with bloatware, a not-so-pretty UI or just wants the pure Google Experience without rooting and loading a custom ROM.

Source(s): Android 4.4 KitKat May Be Dominated By The 'Google Experience' ?€“ ReadWrite Android 4.4 KitKat Release Date Coming: ?€˜Google Experience Launcher?€™ Proposes OS Cross-Compatibility Feature

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
have u tried nova launcher? its free and has some pretty neat customizations. very easy to use. it also makes the phone seem "faster" if u adjust the right settings.

I'm actually using Nova on my GS2. xD

It's a nice launcher, but I'm eagerly waiting for Google's launcher, if it's confirmed.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Nova launcher on my HTC Amaze seems to have gotten rid of the persistent lag and my home screen doesn't seem to crash anymore. I've also gotten better battery life. Maybe the Google launcher will be even better.

(I have no idea what I just said)

Sent from the last HTC device with a removable battery on T-Mobile

Shubham09

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
This news is giving me goosebumps hope it turns true Google pushing its launcher to other Android devices prior to Kit-kat will be good many want to get rid if custon skins pushed by manufactures which are nothing but boring.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I am for this and this is one of the reasons i like stock android and will purchase a Nexus 5,but please understand that the use of this Google experience launcher may render functions found in touch wiz unusable. Things like split screen. These things don't matter to me, but some may miss it. of course if this is a launcher then you get to choose and move back and forth between what you want to use.

Posted via Android Central App

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it'll require 4.4 version though.
Highly unlikely but who knows.
If it does then it'll take a while before people are able to use it on existing phones

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if it'll require 4.4 version though.
Highly unlikely but who knows.
If it does then it'll take a while before people are able to use it on existing phones

If you've read all of my OP, it says that it supports any Android version starting from FroYo.

Don't forget that they have not forgotten the Nexus One...yet.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This news is giving me goosebumps hope it turns true Google pushing its launcher to other Android devices prior to Kit-kat will be good many want to get rid if custon skins pushed by manufactures which are nothing but boring.

To me, the stock icons in TouchWiz just look like as if they were simply ripped out from iOS and was edited slightly to make them look different.

Not saying that Samsung blatantly copied iOS (The topic is getting old, anyway), but it just feels so uninspiring. Also, does the phone icon REALLY have to be squared and green???

henrykene

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
To me, the stock icons in TouchWiz just look like as if they were simply ripped out from iOS and was edited slightly to make them look different.

Not saying that Samsung blatantly copied iOS (The topic is getting old, anyway), but it just feels so uninspiring. Also, does the phone icon REALLY have to be squared and green???

Like seriously, touchwiz is getting old and besides their home button should be removed in the next generation phablets because it's really annoying to use with even two hands these days.:thumbdown:

Sent from my Nexus 4

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What? If Google does do this it would be for people to see what Android is really like instead of say touchwiz or sense, and look to buy a nexus. Probably going to be 2.3 up.

To me Android is TouchWiz. I avoid stock for a reason. I don't like the UI/UX. Different strokes for different folks. Using that would out useful features out of reach for me, so it wouldn't be an option.

However, it can be useful for people with older ICS handsets which may get a performance boost from it, provided it runs there.

I'm thinking more a long the lines of Bionics, Atrix IIs, Vivids, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

A lot of people use TouchWiz because of its subtle (lol) similarities to iOS, and the fact that Samsung tends to implement all of Apples good features in their devices...

Google still doesn't have a real task client that syncs. The camera app is bad and most third party camera apps can kill your eyes. Chrome doesn't have Reading Mode or Save Offline. Google Now doesn't do Wolfram Alpha (but it know how to quote... Wikipedia...). No podcast client/repo. The stock Android email client isn't optimized for business use.

There are gaps in stock. And I don't like hunting for this party apps. Bought a few that got abandoned, too. Samsung has all that covered.

I may try an HTC next, though...

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11