11-01-2013 08:02 AM
31 12
tools
    After Googling information about Android KitKat, I found something that I think interests many Android users.

As many of you have noticed through the Nexus 5 leak, the launcher on Android 4.4 has noticeably changed. That launcher is now called "Google Experience" and after some guys managed to look into it's code, the .apk starts with ".com.google.android.appname", rather than ".com.android.appname". The former is used for Google apps released onto the Play Store now while the latter is used before they were put onto the Play Store (for all you non-tech geeks).

What does this tell us? Google may be launching the KitKat launcher on the Play Store for Android devices that run any version of Android starting from FroYo.

It's a rumor, but if this is true, this should please many Android users who either use a device that filled with bloatware, a not-so-pretty UI or just wants the pure Google Experience without rooting and loading a custom ROM.

Source(s): Android 4.4 KitKat May Be Dominated By The 'Google Experience' €“ ReadWrite Android 4.4 KitKat Release Date Coming: €˜Google Experience Launcher€™ Proposes OS Cross-Compatibility Feature
    10-18-2013 05:34 AM
    I hope this turns out to be true. I'm always down for trying out a new launcher
    10-18-2013 07:18 AM
    I hope this turns out to be true. I'm always down for trying out a new launcher
    Same here. TouchWiz is starting to bore me...
    10-18-2013 08:59 AM
    have u tried nova launcher? its free and has some pretty neat customizations. very easy to use. it also makes the phone seem "faster" if u adjust the right settings.
    10-18-2013 10:22 AM
    I haven't used TW in forever! I'm on an AOKP ROM using Apex as my launcher.
    10-18-2013 10:42 AM
    have u tried nova launcher? its free and has some pretty neat customizations. very easy to use. it also makes the phone seem "faster" if u adjust the right settings.
    I'm actually using Nova on my GS2. xD

It's a nice launcher, but I'm eagerly waiting for Google's launcher, if it's confirmed.
    10-18-2013 07:46 PM
    Nova launcher on my HTC Amaze seems to have gotten rid of the persistent lag and my home screen doesn't seem to crash anymore. I've also gotten better battery life. Maybe the Google launcher will be even better.

(I have no idea what I just said)

Sent from the last HTC device with a removable battery on T-Mobile
    10-18-2013 08:44 PM
    This news is giving me goosebumps hope it turns true Google pushing its launcher to other Android devices prior to Kit-kat will be good many want to get rid if custon skins pushed by manufactures which are nothing but boring.
    10-19-2013 01:26 AM
    That would be great! Hopefully this turns out to be true.
    10-19-2013 09:07 AM
    I am for this and this is one of the reasons i like stock android and will purchase a Nexus 5,but please understand that the use of this Google experience launcher may render functions found in touch wiz unusable. Things like split screen. These things don't matter to me, but some may miss it. of course if this is a launcher then you get to choose and move back and forth between what you want to use.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-19-2013 08:35 PM
    I wonder if it'll require 4.4 version though.
    Highly unlikely but who knows.
    If it does then it'll take a while before people are able to use it on existing phones
    10-19-2013 10:37 PM
    What? If Google does do this it would be for people to see what Android is really like instead of say touchwiz or sense, and look to buy a nexus. Probably going to be 2.3 up.
    10-20-2013 12:45 AM
    Great and cool, my nexus 4 will soon be ok

Sent from my Nexus 4
    10-20-2013 02:53 AM
    Highly unlikely but who knows.
    If it does then it'll take a while before people are able to use it on existing phones
    If you've read all of my OP, it says that it supports any Android version starting from FroYo.

Don't forget that they have not forgotten the Nexus One...yet.
    10-20-2013 09:24 PM
    This news is giving me goosebumps hope it turns true Google pushing its launcher to other Android devices prior to Kit-kat will be good many want to get rid if custon skins pushed by manufactures which are nothing but boring.
    To me, the stock icons in TouchWiz just look like as if they were simply ripped out from iOS and was edited slightly to make them look different.

Not saying that Samsung blatantly copied iOS (The topic is getting old, anyway), but it just feels so uninspiring. Also, does the phone icon REALLY have to be squared and green???
    10-20-2013 09:29 PM
    To me, the stock icons in TouchWiz just look like as if they were simply ripped out from iOS and was edited slightly to make them look different.

Not saying that Samsung blatantly copied iOS (The topic is getting old, anyway), but it just feels so uninspiring. Also, does the phone icon REALLY have to be squared and green???
    Like seriously, touchwiz is getting old and besides their home button should be removed in the next generation phablets because it's really annoying to use with even two hands these days.:thumbdown:

Sent from my Nexus 4
    10-21-2013 01:15 AM
    That would be great! Hopefully this turns out to be true.
    I hope so too. Because nexus 4 is just going to be great with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    srkmagnus likes this.
    10-21-2013 01:17 AM
    I hope so too. Because nexus 4 is just going to be great with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    You do realize the Nexus 4 will get KitKat first, right? The update also comes with the launcher.
    10-21-2013 08:58 PM
    What? If Google does do this it would be for people to see what Android is really like instead of say touchwiz or sense, and look to buy a nexus. Probably going to be 2.3 up.
    To me Android is TouchWiz. I avoid stock for a reason. I don't like the UI/UX. Different strokes for different folks. Using that would out useful features out of reach for me, so it wouldn't be an option.

However, it can be useful for people with older ICS handsets which may get a performance boost from it, provided it runs there.

I'm thinking more a long the lines of Bionics, Atrix IIs, Vivids, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-22-2013 11:14 PM

A lot of people use TouchWiz because of its subtle (lol) similarities to iOS, and the fact that Samsung tends to implement all of Apples good features in their devices...

Google still doesn't have a real task client that syncs. The camera app is bad and most third party camera apps can kill your eyes. Chrome doesn't have Reading Mode or Save Offline. Google Now doesn't do Wolfram Alpha (but it know how to quote... Wikipedia...). No podcast client/repo. The stock Android email client isn't optimized for business use.

There are gaps in stock. And I don't like hunting for this party apps. Bought a few that got abandoned, too. Samsung has all that covered.

I may try an HTC next, though...

10-22-2013 11:23 PM
    If you've read all of my OP, it says that it supports any Android version starting from FroYo.

Don't forget that they have not forgotten the Nexus One...yet.
    They have forgotten the nexus one in all ways that matter to any consumer or enthusiast, lol.

10-22-2013 11:24 PM
    You must try nova launcher its free available and easy to use.
    10-23-2013 03:52 AM
    To me Android is TouchWiz. I avoid stock for a reason. I don't like the UI/UX. Different strokes for different folks. Using that would out useful features out of reach for me, so it wouldn't be an option.

However, it can be useful for people with older ICS handsets which may get a performance boost from it, provided it runs there.

I'm thinking more a long the lines of Bionics, Atrix IIs, Vivids, etc.

I ain't gonna argue with that.

Because there are some people in the world that like TouchWiz better than stock.

I don't, but that's just my opinion.
    tr-1 likes this.
    10-23-2013 07:20 PM
    I wonder how integrated with the OS the launcher will be. If it's just a skin like Nova or maybe something deeper like CyanogenMod
    10-23-2013 08:33 PM
    I hope this news to be true... especially for my country, Indonesia.
    I am not find smartphone in Indonesia has already using Android KitKat.
    10-24-2013 01:32 AM
31 12