On the blog: Supposed leaked docs point to Kit Kat being designed for low spec phones, televisions and wearables. This lines up quite nicely with KitKat's motto: "It's our goal with Android KitKat to make an amazing Android experience available for everybody." Sounds good to me.

Amir Efrati is answering questions on Google+, I'll put up some of the comments here.

Any news on the Google TV front?

The Information I have doesn't include anything specific on Google TV. More focused on the core Android platform than specific Google products.
    How are they going to push their partners to update?

That's always been a challenge. Tough to force that. But the hope is that at least all new devices will have current version.
    What I want to know is if the plan is to somehow make it possible yo bring KitKat to old Android devices. Like my 1st-gen GTV!

Google wants to make it easier for OEMs/carriers to push updates to existing devices, but don't hold your breath. These things can't be forced very easily.
    Any word on an upgrade path for older phones? Some rumors pointed to a new app drawer, new lock screen, more voice integration and changes to location tracking. Any info there?

The lock screen will show fullscreen album art and media controls when music is playing. The Information i have doesn't involve voice or path for older devices. As i mentioned to +Nicholas Rumas , that is always a troublesome thing.
    Any changes to Google Keep to integrate better with Now and Drive? Any other Now updates? Any change to how they handle SD cards? Battery life improvements somehow (Roadrunner)?

Keep and Now are individual products so I don't have anything on them. As for battery power, there is support for sensor results batching so that sensors have improved power optimization and accuracy. Sensor events will be delivered more efficiently in batches rather than individually. The device’s application processor would stay in a low-power state until batches get delivered. There's also WiFi batching and audio tunneling that will help reduce battery consumption.
    Any mention of VOIP support in Hangouts?

The Information i have doesn't relate to specific products like Hangouts, only the platform level.
    Anything happening with Miracast and/or Chromecast?

The Information I have says KitKat platform is ready for WiFi Miracast certification
    Cloud printing?

Yes, KitKat supports printing over WiFi, Bluetooth, hosted services like Google Cloud Print. You will be able to print images, Docs, Gmail, other content. And printer manufacturers can use new APIs, develop their own print services, services for talking to specific types of printers.
    Interesting. Any reference to "themes" of any kind or the "Google Experience"?

I'm afraid not.
    Any mention of low latency audio, or audio at all?

Besides the audio tunneling I mentioned, there are new audio monitoring tools in visualizer effect that provide updates to apps on peak/other levels of playing audio. There's also something about audio timestamps being reported to apps, telling them when specific audio frame presented off-device to user...
    Some of his comments weren't in direct response to others' questions.

Here are some things I haven't mentioned before: there will be something called integrated storage access framework , which makes it easier to browse, open docs/images/other files across all of your preferred storage providers, local or in cloud.

Anyone care about HTTP Live Streaming support ? If so, you're in luck. KitKat can do that.

There's new form of WebView based on Google Chromium . Supports latest web standards support, HTML5 compatibility to build/display web-based content in applications.
    Yes, he's a former WSJ reporter. No, he isn't officially announcing KitKat for Google. As such, take all of this with the appropriate level of doubt until we've heard it from the elgooG itself.
    Johnly, Ry and jdbii like this.
    10-30-2013 11:39 PM
    Me too brother.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    10-30-2013 11:41 PM
    Added some comments from Amir Efrati's Q&A on Google+.
    Johnly likes this.
    10-31-2013 12:59 AM
    Even if KitKat was designed to run well on older or lower-spec hardware, OEMs and carriers would still need time and resources to develop, test, and deploy.

Posted via Android Central App
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.
    10-31-2013 01:44 AM
    Even if KitKat was designed to run well on older or lower-spec hardware, OEMs and carriers would still need time and resources to develop, test, and deploy.
    For older devices, sure. The goal of KitKat in this regard — at least the sense I get from all this information — is a focus on enabling a high-performing, fully-featured version on Android on cheaper devices with less capable hardware. For instance, being able to launch with 4.4 on devices in emerging markets (such as the rise of cheap phones and tablets in India) without sacrificing performance or feature set. Google's shift towards API distribution through channels like Google Play Services should significantly reduce the impact of manufacturer/carrier update delays, though I think we've only just reached the point where we're seeing this reduced impact.

I'm building an app right now using the Fused Location Provider, and I'm targeting devices running versions of Android that were released before the FLP was added to Google Play Services' Location APIs. That in itself is an example of the benefit to the end user. When app developers are no longer restricted to the APIs of the installed Android version, the end user can receive the benefit of APIs that are more up-to-date than the most recent Android OTA for their device.
    10-31-2013 02:28 AM
    The specs indicate that the Nexus One may technically be able to run 4.4.
    I wonder if Google will update it? lol
    10-31-2013 08:02 AM
    For instance, being able to launch with 4.4 on devices in emerging markets (such as the rise of cheap phones and tablets in India) without sacrificing performance or feature set. Google's shift towards API distribution through channels like Google Play Services should significantly reduce the impact of manufacturer/carrier update delays, though I think we've only just reached the point where we're seeing this reduced impact.
    This is the key, most people do not realize how huge the emerging markets are for phone manufacturers. If 4.4 is able to work on your everyday cheap, low spec device it just helps further the "android" experience world wide.
    10-31-2013 10:38 AM
    For older devices, sure. The goal of KitKat in this regard — at least the sense I get from all this information — is a focus on enabling a high-performing, fully-featured version on Android on cheaper devices with less capable hardware. For instance, being able to launch with 4.4 on devices in emerging markets (such as the rise of cheap phones and tablets in India) without sacrificing performance or feature set. Google's shift towards API distribution through channels like Google Play Services should significantly reduce the impact of manufacturer/carrier update delays, though I think we've only just reached the point where we're seeing this reduced impact.

I'm building an app right now using the Fused Location Provider, and I'm targeting devices running versions of Android that were released before the FLP was added to Google Play Services' Location APIs. That in itself is an example of the benefit to the end user. When app developers are no longer restricted to the APIs of the installed Android version, the end user can receive the benefit of APIs that are more up-to-date than the most recent Android OTA for their device.
    I'm reading this as "going-forward". Noticing people talking about taking their older phones out of their desk drawers. I highly doubt Samsung would invest the time and resources to update an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate to Android 4.4 KitKat.
    10-31-2013 11:39 AM
    I feel like this is Google's way of trying to take away the bad statistics that a large portion of android phones still run on gingerbread. Almost like phasing out lover level versions and maybe trying to make kit kat the new gingerbread.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about. Android 2.3 Gingerbread Enters Its Death Throes. Finally! – ReadWrite
    11-01-2013 08:16 AM