Is the GE launcher enough to become your default?

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I currently use Action Launcher beta. I love the quick drawer, covers, shutters, and recently added "quick page". I downloaded the Google Experience launcher tonight and while it looks appealing enough to set it as my default for the time being, I'm wondering how long it will take until I miss the features of other launchers out there. The dedicated Google Now page is neat and it's nice to see the visual changes like the screen padding, larger icons, and transparent app drawer. I was really looking forward to seeing notification widgets or a page in the notification drawer for widgets in 4.4 -- this is the main reason I use Action launcher, for quick access to my widgets via shutters, no swiping across multiple pages. I recently tried Aviate which is a great concept but it needs a lot of work before I consider it for my default. So I'm wondering who's using the GE launcher and who likes it above all the other options available?

Posted via Android Central App

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I am using the GE launcher right now, and although it lacks a lot of features that Nova does, I really like the Google Now page. I guess I'll wait and see if Nova gets this feature.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I dont ask for much in a launcher but gestures are a must. I find a dedicated app drawer button to be a waste of screen space. For me a swipe up opens the app drawer and a swipe down opens settings. Truth be told I would even rather have an app drawer button on the nav bar so I can open any app from anywhere.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be using the GE Launcher. The Google Now and "Always-listening" integration looks great; and the launcher may even include some of the customization options that Nova offers.

It's been a good run with Nova, but I'm ready to try something different. I'll probably revisit Nova, in the future, though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app

mission_mode

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... I went and found the GE launcher installs along with a few of the other APKs and I like it. Installed the GE stuff and the Hangouts upgrade. wants to verify my mobile number and can't seem to spot its own confirmation code but otherwise it seems ok.

mission_mode

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
So... the default Google Now search has disappeared and any time I launch Google Now it crashes right after it does what I ask. I've tried switching languages and stuff but I'd say basically I can't search at this point. Hopefully the full KitKat update will fix it.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I really like the new GE launcher to be honest. I switched over to it from Nova Launcher Prime. I think it is very simplistic and works perfectly for me. It reminds me of how the lockscreen widgets are setup. Instead of the lockscreen having unlimited added widgets going toward the left, and your camera on the right, GE is slightly different but uses the same approach. It is unlimited homescreens to the right, with Google Now on the left. Much easier now for people to understand between the two.

Lol I remember the days when I had the dilemma if I wants a certain homescreen on the left or the right of my default.

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but how is that any better? Now you need two swipes to get to a page you could have had to the left of your home screen, and four swipes for one you could have two swipes left of home. I also don't get why people love Google now being on the left. It is just as easy go swipe up as it is to swipe left.

I'm still using GE launcher, but in no way is it any better in my mind. Add a continuous scrollable drawer and one scrollable page to put all your widgets like you have in Google now and it'd be much more efficient.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but how is that any better? Now you need two swipes to get to a page you could have had to the left of your home screen, and four swipes for one you could have two swipes left of home. I also don't get why people love Google now being on the left. It is just as easy go swipe up as it is to swipe left.

I'm still using GE launcher, but in no way is it any better in my mind. Add a continuous scrollable drawer and one scrollable page to put all your widgets like you have in Google now and it'd be much more efficient.

I do understand your reasoning, for me I mainly put my widgets in the homescreens and less app icons. If I use icons and need them grouped together I use folders. I know this may not be ideal for most others but a swipe barely takes much time. The method is also now the same as the lockscreen widgets which may help new users understand the layout through consistency.

It may seem annoying to some but for me, I don't mind an extra swipe. I normally will never have more than 3-4 homescreens anyways.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
been using the GPE launcher since launch...A few FC on my samsung S4 but way worth it. Compared to the Touchwiz launcher this thing is so fluid and quick.

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I do understand your reasoning, for me I mainly put my widgets in the homescreens and less app icons. If I use icons and need them grouped together I use folders. I know this may not be ideal for most others but a swipe barely takes much time. The method is also now the same as the lockscreen widgets which may help new users understand the layout through consistency.

It may seem annoying to some but for me, I don't mind an extra swipe. I normally will never have more than 3-4 homescreens anyways.

I used to do what you do with your home screens and I'm doing that now with GEL. I just can't stand the extra swipe. I think everything should be easily accessible yet still maintain a minimalistic look. I only have one extra lock screen widget because I think it defeats the purpose of a widget if you have to swipe as many times as it would take to tap and open it up. I do think however Google is realizing this with having a dedicated Google Now page, so users can see all its information on the home page. I wouldn't be surprised if in Android 5.0 -- we'll call it Licorice ;) -- Google made it possible to add your own widgets to it for developers to advertise.

I'm not saying how you like things is wrong, I'm just wondering how other people have things set up because I'd really like to use this launcher. I think it's great for Android. I'm on a Galaxy Nexus and although I am getting a Nexus 5 soon, I wouldn't feel too bothered to be on 4.3 with all the updated apps, wallpaper, and launcher being just like KitKat.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not really a launcher buff, I have used a bunch of them - especially playing around with ROMs that come with different launchers - and I have to say that the Google Experience Launcher has been by far the best. All the launchers I have seen before (including the AOSP launcher) have a set number of home screens that in certain cases you can increase or decrease. GEL adds the ability to seamlessly add homescreens when you need them and gets rid of them when there's nothing on them. I find this very useful.

I love being able to say "OK Google" from my home screen and have Google Now pop up. I didn't think I was going to like the dedicated Google Now page on the left, but I find myself going to it all the time and using it.

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I would use this launcher a lot more if it didn't force close so often. It pretty unstable. Also I'm not a huge of the giant icons. But I do like the simplicity of it. I am hoping there will be a long term fix for the fc soon.

cmd280

May 29, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm liking it a lot. Only problem is that for whatever reason no matter how many times I set it as the default launcher it keeps resetting and asking me to select a launcher again.

Anyone else having this issue?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
You can long press menu for Google Now in TouchWiz, so no. It's not worth the massive feature downgrade to use a Google launcher.

That launcher reminds me of iOS and it's previous spotlight search page, though, which wasn't a bad idea. I just don't like dedicated panes like that. I hate TouchWiz Page Buddy for the same reason.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I am using the GE launcher right now, and although it lacks a lot of features that Nova does, I really like the Google Now page. I guess I'll wait and see if Nova gets this feature.

This comment is the exact comment I was going to type up myself. Couldn't agree more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36