Icons in menu and homescreen 4.4 are just waayy too big! How to shrink them!?

shifteys

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one bothered with the increase of size of the new icons in android 4.4? Ime not that old yet, and it really makes that new screen look smaller then the screen on the nexus 4....
Any help would be appreciated!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I like that they are bigger. Looks really good. I don't think that you can shrink them. You can get using a different launcher and see if you can adjust them that way.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't care for the gratuitously larger icons either. They are too similar in that respect to touchwiz and ifoney icons for my taste. And seems I have to swipe through more screens in my app drawer now. But I'll adapt to them at some point.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
It seems that KitKat has increased them to about 120%. Nova Launcher by default sets them at 100% (Jelly Bean) which is what I prefer.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I like big colorful icons.

But Nova Launcher have transparencies now and the icons are smaller, if you buy it's Prime version you can adjust the icons size.

If you have root and a Nexus 4 you can change the build.prop DPI to 316, which will give 5x4 rows of icons in the drawer (for Google launcher), it makes no difference to anything else.

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I like big colorful icons.

But Nova Launcher have transparencies now and the icons are smaller, if you buy it's Prime version you can adjust the icons size.

If you have root and a Nexus 4 you can change the build.prop DPI to 316, which will give 5x4 rows of icons in the drawer, it makes no difference to anything else.

your avatar is very disturbing. please consider changing.

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I like your avatar, someguy. Burning money is much more disturbing than some sad-looking Asian guy with boobs.

Posted via Android Central App

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Nova Launcher (Prime) gives you way more control. You can scale the icons. You can select small or large icons on folders. Make some of the persistent home screen elements go away. And ... Nova adds a shadow on the wallpaper behind the softkeys and notification bar, resulting in better visibility on light backgrounds.

20131210-1309-novabetashadow.jpg

I'm running Nova Launcher Beta and can tell you it's a breath of fresh air.

007india

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Even though its a response to a old post. count me too. I would like to find a way to reduce the size of icons and spacing between icons in my android 4.4 menu of Samsung Tab4 T531. The screen resolution is 1280x800.

Is there a way to reduce the size without rooting the phone?

Meyek66

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Have you checked to see which Home Default Application you are using? From your home screen go to "Settings" then scroll down to "Applications", Click on "Default Applications" then under "Set Defaults" section click on "Home", TouchWiz home will make your icons the size you like. The other two will make your icons large enough to be seen from the moon. If you already figured this out I apologize for the annoyance.

FihadSnafee

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Root your device and download build.prop byJRunner Apps and search for lcd density and below you'll see default value choose like 290 or lower if you want really smaller icons and reboot your device and thats it :cool: