Not suggesting anyone try this but a thread with these two articles has popped up on the Nexus 5 page and this is more Kit Kat than Nexus 5 stuff so I am moving it here for more experts to talk about.

Google debuts ART in KitKat, aims to change Android

Google tests ART foundation in KitKat for faster Android apps
    11-08-2013 11:15 AM
    Per personal conversation with someone who works on the Android team:
    1. Improvements you see now are mostly placebo.
    2. ART means nothing in this version for the user, it's there for vendors and chipset makers who need to optimize when it becomes the standard.
    3. It was never a secret.
    4. (and this is a quote) Don't believe everything you read on blogs.
    patruns and jasoraso like this.
    11-08-2013 12:16 PM
    Yeah, I tried ART for a bit on my N7, but unfortunately it didn't sit well with the gapps package I had flashed, filling my screen with crash messages. After about 20 minutes of tapping OK on the messages and quickly hitting an onscreen button before another crash message showed, I was finally able to disable it. I probably will enable it again though, once it is officially out for my device.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7
    11-08-2013 12:17 PM
    I made a thread about this on the N4 section. I don't have an N5 yet, but for the N4 it is a clear improvement. Apps load slightly faster and the overall OS feel smoother. It's a subtle improvement, but you notice it over prolonged use. I compare it to iOS in term of smoothness.

For it to run correctly you need to use an odexed rom and odexed gapps, such as stock Android.
    11-08-2013 04:57 PM
    There is a bigger thread on ART in the Nexus 5 and lots of people like what they see and are reporting much greater speed. My N7 is still at 4.3 and hasn't got the Kit Kat push yet to try it there.
    11-09-2013 12:56 PM