My parents are getting no-contract AT&T Moto X phones as their first-ever smartphones. They're going to use them with an AT&T MVNO (Consumer Cellular) that specializes in senior-friendly plans. The phones come with Jellybean, but AT&T Moto X's are going to get upgraded to KitKat. Will my parents be able to upgrade their AT&T Moto X's without AT&T? Might it be likely that some helpful site will give them an unofficial way to get the upgrade? They currently have non-data AT&T plans for their feature phones, so they could put their AT&T SIM cards in their Moto X's and try to get the upgrade, but I'm doubting AT&T will push an upgrade out to phones that weren't bought through them and don't have data plans. What do you think?
    11-08-2013 07:13 PM
    My parents are getting no-contract AT&T Moto X phones as their first-ever smartphones. They're going to use them with an AT&T MVNO (Consumer Cellular) that specializes in senior-friendly plans. The phones come with Jellybean, but AT&T Moto X's are going to get upgraded to KitKat. Will my parents be able to upgrade their AT&T Moto X's without AT&T? Might it be likely that some helpful site will give them an unofficial way to get the upgrade? They currently have non-data AT&T plans for their feature phones, so they could put their AT&T SIM cards in their Moto X's and try to get the upgrade, but I'm doubting AT&T will push an upgrade out to phones that weren't bought through them and don't have data plans. What do you think?
    How much are they willing to spend? If they get Nexus devices, they will be updated by Google, not AT&T.
    11-08-2013 07:20 PM
    They've already bought the Moto X's, they're being delivered. KitKat isn't a necessity, but if there's an unofficial website that does Android upgrades, I could help them get it.

Edit: It looks like CyanogenMod is already offering KitKat upgrades for the Nexus 4. I'm vaguely aware of CyanogenMod. Would they probably be the best bet?

Edit 2: Might upgrading to CyanogenMod, even a version made especially for Moto X, mean losing some Moto X-specific features? Is there any way to just get the official AT&T Moto X KitKat upgrade without an AT&T data connection?
    11-08-2013 07:29 PM
    They've already bought the Moto X's, they're being delivered. KitKat isn't a necessity, but if there's an unofficial website that does Android upgrades, I could help them get it.

Edit: It looks like CyanogenMod is already offering KitKat upgrades for the Nexus 4. I'm vaguely aware of CyanogenMod. Would they probably be the best bet?

Edit 2: Might upgrading to CyanogenMod, even a version made especially for Moto X, mean losing some Moto X-specific features? Is there any way to just get the official AT&T Moto X KitKat upgrade without an AT&T data connection?
    Last I knew there was no ROM out for the Moto X yet. Most likely,moto features would be lost.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    11-08-2013 08:59 PM
    Hi there. The Moto X's are still from AT&T even if you paid full price / no contract. It should get the upgrade via wi-fi (dosent need to be on their data network. This is just all guessing though. I don't know about consumer cell, but I haven't really heard about no-data smartphones.
    11-08-2013 09:10 PM
    Well, they're getting a data plan with the AT&T MVNO, and since it's going to be AT&T's network and towers, maybe they can still get the upgrade that way. When you say they could get the upgrade via wifi, is there just a download page on carriers' websites you can go to?
    11-09-2013 06:46 AM
    Well, they're getting a data plan with the AT&T MVNO, and since it's going to be AT&T's network and towers, maybe they can still get the upgrade that way. When you say they could get the upgrade via wifi, is there just a download page on carriers' websites you can go to?
    I mean as long as they have a internet connection and go settings > about phones > check for updates, they should recieve it when its released, major carrier or not.
    11-09-2013 02:58 PM
    I think the Moto X will get KitKat since its fairly new, if you wish to receive OTA you need to make sure not to root the device.

You wouldn't want to install custom rom your parents device unless its a stable release, or atleast milestone release, which for CyanogenMod and AOKP is a long time from now. AOKP developed their own Active Display feature similar to MotoX, but its in early stage.
    11-11-2013 06:03 PM
    I think the Moto X will get KitKat since its fairly new, if you wish to receive OTA you need to make sure not to root the device.

You wouldn't want to install custom rom your parents device unless its a stable release, or atleast milestone release, which for CyanogenMod and AOKP is a long time from now. AOKP developed their own Active Display feature similar to MotoX, but its in early stage.
    There is a leaked 4.4 ROM for the Moto X floating around. I believe it was for the T-Mobile variant, though, could be wrong considering I don't follow the device closely. I'd say we'll see 4.4 on the Moto X sooner, rather than later.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    11-12-2013 10:21 AM