why is the stock camera app in 4.4 (just like it was in 4.3) so rubbish? especially the panorama mode.
    the stock iOS camera app really puts it to shame.

(running on nexus 4 btw)
    11-23-2013 05:39 AM
    iOS and Apple. Different priorities. The Nexus line was not developed to be a big consumer product category like iOS devices. That is part of the reason the camera app may not be more polished. Apple makes the camera and the its interface one of their priorities. Google? Obviously, not so much.
    11-23-2013 05:51 AM
    The camera app was supposed to be a lot better, but it was pulled from Kit Kat at the last moment as it wasn't ready. It is expected to be updated at a later date.
    11-23-2013 08:40 AM
    iOS and Apple. Different priorities. The Nexus line was not developed to be a big consumer product category like iOS devices. That is part of the reason the camera app may not be more polished. Apple makes the camera and the its interface one of their priorities. Google? Obviously, not so much.
    whilst some of that may be the case, the nexus range is supposed to be the showcase of what android and google can do.
    if the camera app is the best at what android and google can do then they need hire some better imaging people.
    11-23-2013 09:55 AM
    I think that philosophy doesn't apply to the current Nexus devices. They're all easily surpassed by other OEMs, IMO.
    11-23-2013 10:27 AM
    I think that philosophy doesn't apply to the current Nexus devices. They're all easily surpassed by other OEMs, IMO.
    maybe so, but it should be the philosophy.
    11-23-2013 10:53 AM
    I agree. Me thinks Googorola is getting greedy, me thinks.
    11-23-2013 11:17 AM
    I don't think so. I think the philosphy is having an affordable device that is sim and bootloader unlocked for development and easy access as well as show casing Google services.

If you want good camera, put your money where your mouth is and spend $650 for a device with a decent camera. Google is not out to compete with other hardware manufacturer and I hope there won't technically be a Motorola branded Nexus in the future for that reason. Google is not Apple and trying to monopolize Android for it own self. By trying to out compete other manufacturers would be detrimental to their Android business.

That doesn't mean they can't make a great camera. I welcome an improved AOSP camera app and bringing back zero shutter lag featured in the Galaxy Nexus. But it doesn't contradict with my original point. Anyway, there is always the PlayStore for third party apps.

While Nexus devices does help giving some consumers a more fair value for their purchases, I also feel some people are spoiled by the price and demand more than deserved for the cost. I paid $850 initially for Galaxy Note and $750 for the Galaxy Nexus. Now that the Nexus 5 comes out with the newest hardware at fraction of the cost, people still whine and wants more. And pardon me, but with the recent debacle with the Moto X (a brand owned by Google) getting updates earlier than some Nexus devices, detractors comes in drove to bash the 'Nexus program as being a scam or failure' just go to show how idiotic and hypocrit some people are.

And to get back to topic, I really believe it's a software issue that Google can fix, at least with the shutter speed, something I can vastly improve by lowering the megapixel and other setting changes, or using Focal. On the photo quality side, they just need to work on the image post-processing. Motorola put up their camera on the Playstore, but it would be better if they made it available for other devices.
    yfan likes this.
    11-24-2013 12:17 PM
    I guess I'm not demanding enough to see how the stock Android camera app is deficient. My only gripe is that it doesn't save images as PNGs, which by all rights it should since JPEG is proprietary and PNG is open-source. Heck, even Apple gets that right in Mac OS X when you take a screen shot.

Beyond that, Google is more interested in being a platform provider than a hardware company. I keep getting that scene in my head from The Two Towers when I think about this subject, where Gandalf says, I am Sarumon; or, rather, Sarumon as he should have been. That is, Google is Microsoft as Microsoft should have been.
    11-24-2013 01:10 PM
    I paid $850 initially for Galaxy Note and $750 for the Galaxy Nexus.
    Where did you buy thew Galaxy Nexus? It was sold in the Play Store for $399 from day 1.
    11-24-2013 04:47 PM
    Where did you buy thew Galaxy Nexus? It was sold in the Play Store for $399 from day 1.
    In Russia...you have to Pay to Play.

G Pad 8.3
    11-24-2013 04:58 PM
    Nope. The Galaxy Nexus was not debut on the PlayStore, that came long afterward. It was originally released internationally and you had to import it, Expansys-USA or NegriElectronics are two good sources for that. They applied VAT to is which it why it cost so much. I did buy it another 2 times, but using Swappa for much cheaper.

In the UK, the HSPA+ version of the Galaxy Nexus became available on O2 and 3 on 17 November 2011.

On 24 April 2012, the Galaxy Nexus was sold sim-unlocked on Google's Play Store for 399.99 then dropped to 349.99 later.
    I had an S3 which costed $600, then I wanted to sell it and get back to Nexus, but was on the fence about getting the N4 due to concerns with durability and lack of USB OTG, I only made the purchase when it went on sale for $199. Now don't regret it a bit. Looking back I can't imagine ever spending $850 for a smartphone again, especially not for TouchWiz.

But with that said the original Galaxy Note was an excellent device, it probably wasn't the first phablet, but it (along with the GNex) were the devices that popularized huge display phones we have today I think. Tons of people whined about how large the Gnex and Gnote screens were, now they wine if a device doesn't have a 5.2" screen or larger. It was a very durable phone too at least from my experiences, despite plastic body it felt durable, along with the S II design, I wasn't even afraid to drop it. I was not impressed with the S3 cheap quality at all and that's was the last Samsung phone I purchased so far.
    11-24-2013 05:10 PM
    I guess I'm not demanding enough to see how the stock Android camera app is deficient. My only gripe is that it doesn't save images as PNGs, which by all rights it should since JPEG is proprietary and PNG is open-source. Heck, even Apple gets that right in Mac OS X when you take a screen shot.

Beyond that, Google is more interested in being a platform provider than a hardware company. I keep getting that scene in my head from The Two Towers when I think about this subject, where Gandalf says, “I am Sarumon; or, rather, Sarumon as he should have been.” That is, Google is Microsoft as Microsoft should have been.
    specifically, the panorama mode is **** poor.
    11-25-2013 04:34 AM