Kit Kat No Longer Supports Flash in Browsers

buryman

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Trouble is, the update happens whether you want it or not. I can no longer play vids using firefox. FF tell me there is no longer support and don't explain if that means for now or ever. Chrome has the usual flash not compatible bs they always come out with. Dolphin now seems to have joined Chrome. Puffin just shows blank screens.
If this isn't temporary then android tablets are merely web browsers.
WTF Android?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, as I like to say, "That's certainly one perspective." Funny thing is, I rarely desire to watch vids on my tablet outside of Youtube, CNN, and Play store movies. So, as you can see the issue doesn't affect everyone's usage and my tablet remains far more than a web browser.
Regardless, I empathize with your frustration and hope they get this fixed for you.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't blame Android. Adobe stopped supporting Flash in mobile devices. There were some workarounds but they are getting fewer and fewer and websites are getting rid of it as well.

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
The sooner Flash dies, the better. Most websites have an HTML5 fallback anyway, at least sites with video content. And the HTML player usually performs much better than its Flash pendant.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It is because Flash is dying. I agree with the above post in the sooner the better. The fact that some site/companies still hold on to flash only add to the confusion.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Is HTML5 so troublesome (or inferior in its capability) that some just want to hold on to Flash, or is it that its just too much of a pain to convert to HTML5? Why is Flash still so prevalent?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is HTML5 so troublesome (or inferior in its capability) that some just want to hold on to Flash, or is it that its just too much of a pain to convert to HTML5? Why is Flash still so prevalent?

I honestly think it is laziness and simpler than HTML.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

It is because companies would have to update their entire site to HTML5 and many are just too lazy, cheap or don't have the time and all browsers can still read the old format. When they start losing revenue they will update. As soon as browser developers start eliminating backward compatibility everyone will update their site.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Flash on mobile needs to go away.

Oh and my tablet is not useless.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't blame Android. Adobe stopped supporting Flash in mobile devices. There were some workarounds but they are getting fewer and fewer and websites are getting rid of it as well.

This right here.

It's not Google's fault.
It's not Android's fault.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Flash player and Java are plagues upon computers that must go. The sooner you stop using websites that cling to these early 2000's tech the sooner they will move to modern technology and we will all be better off for it.

You don't need flash. My tablet is working just fine without it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Flash player and Java are plagues upon computers that must go. The sooner you stop using websites that cling to these early 2000's tech the sooner they will move to modern technology and we will all be better off for it.

You don't need flash. My tablet is working just fine without it.
You might find your web browsing surprisingly gimpled altered and limited should you decide to boycott Flash-employing websites.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Trouble is, the update happens whether you want it or not. I can no longer play vids using firefox. FF tell me there is no longer support and don't explain if that means for now or ever. Chrome has the usual flash not compatible bs they always come out with. Dolphin now seems to have joined Chrome. Puffin just shows blank screens.
If this isn't temporary then android tablets are merely web browsers.
WTF Android?
So what you're saying is playing flash videos within a browser is the ONLY use of an Android tablet? It's either that, or your use of the word 'useless' is itself useless.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Yup its a pisser and its becoming more widespread as more applications rely on flash. I was on a flight with free wifi and movies but couldnt take advantage of it b/c i was using a android phone

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My experiences with free WiFi have been iffy at best. It's always too slow for my tastes, and then there's any security concerns that there may be.

G Pad 8.3

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
4 tablets in our house from windows, ios, to android. The lack of flash hurts the browsing a lot. We just have to go to the desktop again because tech is so arrogant trying to push everyone into a new format and breaking 80% of the web.