11-30-2013 07:45 AM
34 12
tools
    Trouble is, the update happens whether you want it or not. I can no longer play vids using firefox. FF tell me there is no longer support and don't explain if that means for now or ever. Chrome has the usual flash not compatible bs they always come out with. Dolphin now seems to have joined Chrome. Puffin just shows blank screens.
    If this isn't temporary then android tablets are merely web browsers.
    WTF Android?
    11-23-2013 07:29 AM
    Well, as I like to say, "That's certainly one perspective." Funny thing is, I rarely desire to watch vids on my tablet outside of Youtube, CNN, and Play store movies. So, as you can see the issue doesn't affect everyone's usage and my tablet remains far more than a web browser.
    Regardless, I empathize with your frustration and hope they get this fixed for you.
    Ry likes this.
    11-23-2013 07:34 AM
    Don't blame Android. Adobe stopped supporting Flash in mobile devices. There were some workarounds but they are getting fewer and fewer and websites are getting rid of it as well.
    11-23-2013 08:38 AM
    The sooner Flash dies, the better. Most websites have an HTML5 fallback anyway, at least sites with video content. And the HTML player usually performs much better than its Flash pendant.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-23-2013 10:10 AM
    It is because Flash is dying. I agree with the above post in the sooner the better. The fact that some site/companies still hold on to flash only add to the confusion.
    11-23-2013 10:18 AM
    Is HTML5 so troublesome (or inferior in its capability) that some just want to hold on to Flash, or is it that its just too much of a pain to convert to HTML5? Why is Flash still so prevalent?
    11-23-2013 10:33 AM
    Is HTML5 so troublesome (or inferior in its capability) that some just want to hold on to Flash, or is it that its just too much of a pain to convert to HTML5? Why is Flash still so prevalent?
    I honestly think it is laziness and simpler than HTML.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    11-23-2013 10:37 AM
    Flash can RIP as far as I'm concerned. I'm tired of Adobe security issues

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
    someguy01234 likes this.
    11-23-2013 10:39 AM
    It is because companies would have to update their entire site to HTML5 and many are just too lazy, cheap or don't have the time and all browsers can still read the old format. When they start losing revenue they will update. As soon as browser developers start eliminating backward compatibility everyone will update their site.
    11-23-2013 02:24 PM
    Flash on mobile needs to go away.

Oh and my tablet is not useless.

someguy01234 and gabbott like this.
    11-23-2013 02:41 PM
    Don't blame Android. Adobe stopped supporting Flash in mobile devices. There were some workarounds but they are getting fewer and fewer and websites are getting rid of it as well.
    This right here.

It's not Google's fault.
    It's not Android's fault.

11-23-2013 02:43 PM
    My Nexus useless because no flash?

More like better and more secure without flash.
    Ry likes this.
    11-23-2013 09:24 PM
    Flash player and Java are plagues upon computers that must go. The sooner you stop using websites that cling to these early 2000's tech the sooner they will move to modern technology and we will all be better off for it.

You don't need flash. My tablet is working just fine without it.
    Ry likes this.
    11-24-2013 02:50 PM
    Flash player and Java are plagues upon computers that must go. The sooner you stop using websites that cling to these early 2000's tech the sooner they will move to modern technology and we will all be better off for it.

You don't need flash. My tablet is working just fine without it.
    You might find your web browsing surprisingly gimpled altered and limited should you decide to boycott Flash-employing websites.
    11-24-2013 03:29 PM
    Trouble is, the update happens whether you want it or not. I can no longer play vids using firefox. FF tell me there is no longer support and don't explain if that means for now or ever. Chrome has the usual flash not compatible bs they always come out with. Dolphin now seems to have joined Chrome. Puffin just shows blank screens.
    If this isn't temporary then android tablets are merely web browsers.
    WTF Android?
    So what you're saying is playing flash videos within a browser is the ONLY use of an Android tablet? It's either that, or your use of the word 'useless' is itself useless.
    11-24-2013 04:49 PM
    The message does not match subject.
    11-25-2013 12:29 AM
    Yup its a pisser and its becoming more widespread as more applications rely on flash. I was on a flight with free wifi and movies but couldnt take advantage of it b/c i was using a android phone
    11-25-2013 10:06 AM
    My experiences with free WiFi have been iffy at best. It's always too slow for my tastes, and then there's any security concerns that there may be.

G Pad 8.3
    11-25-2013 02:14 PM
    All I know is that I need flash to watch my sports!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-25-2013 02:39 PM
    4 tablets in our house from windows, ios, to android. The lack of flash hurts the browsing a lot. We just have to go to the desktop again because tech is so arrogant trying to push everyone into a new format and breaking 80% of the web.
    11-25-2013 04:00 PM
    The sooner you stop visiting websites that cling to flash player the sooner they will be forced to move to modern video and we will all be better for it. Let go of flash already, it needs die and go away. I don't even install it on my Windows computers anymore.
    11-26-2013 08:45 AM
    It's also worth noting that some flash-based websites offer an Android app as a replacement. Or a mobile version where HTML5 instead of Flash is used automatically.

Aquila likes this.
    11-26-2013 09:10 AM
    This worked for me, let me know if it works for you. Load the page in with the "Request Desktop Site" checked and when you get the error, uncheck the box and refresh.

**edit** In FireFox, haven't tried this in Chrome
    11-26-2013 10:17 AM
    I'm tired of reading people blaming Google for abandoning their precious Flash, so I'll just leave this here:
    An Update on Flash Player and Android

Google do not own Flash, they have no obligation or any responsibility for it working with their OS. There is no Google fault in Flash not working on Android. Stay with 4.3 if you want to use it.

This worked for me, let me know if it works for you. Load the page in with the "Request Desktop Site" checked and when you get the error, uncheck the box and refresh.

**edit** In FireFox, haven't tried this in Chrome
    That could be HTML5, not Flash.
    11-26-2013 05:19 PM
    I have a nexus 7 1st gen. Just updated android to 4.4 kitkat and videos no longer play. Tried youtube and facebook.
    11-27-2013 05:45 AM
34 12