Did KitKat hardbrick my device?!?!

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So, I posted in the Nexus7 forum, but got nothing back (I guess there's no love there anymore).

My N7 (2012, WiFi) got the KitKat OTA update last night. After it downloaded, I hit the button to restart and load the update. In the bootloader it finished by saying there was a Status 7 error. After that, it only gave me the option to reboot the device. This brought me to the new Google splash screen indefinitely... softbrick.

So, I decided to flash a factory image of Jellybean and get it working again. I did the power and volume button combination to get it into the bootloader, but it wouldn't turn on. My computer's Device Manager sees my tablet as "APX" and the ADB doesn't even recognize an Android device is attached to the system.

This looks like a hardbrick, but I've never had this happen before... especially from an OTA update. I've called Google several times, and they've sent me several emails, but all they keep saying is to power-cycle the device, which I can't do.

Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it (if it can even be fixed)? I'd hate to lose this tablet since I use it on a daily basis. Asus says that this is a software issue, so it's out of their realm... Google says it's an Asus fix, or that I should just power-cycle...

PLEASE HELP ME!!! :'(

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So you can turn it on, it just doesn't get past 'Google' or it doesn't turn on at all anymore?
Are you rooted and/or unlocked?
Do you have stock recovery or a custom recovery?

To get ADB to function correctly you may have to reinstall the drivers. Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit can be useful for that. There is a concern that ADB debugging might be off, but I'm really surprised that you are unable to get into the bootloader or recovery.

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So you can turn it on, it just doesn't get past 'Google' or it doesn't turn on at all anymore?
Are you rooted and/or unlocked?
Do you have stock recovery or a custom recovery?

To get ADB to function correctly you may have to reinstall the drivers. Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit can be useful for that. There is a concern that ADB debugging might be off, but I'm really surprised that you are unable to get into the bootloader or recovery.

It won't turn on at all anymore... I don't think. When I hold the power button, I get no response. But, if it's connected to my computer, my device manager recognizes it as "APX" instead of as a Nexus device.

Originally, it was unlocked but not rooted, since there wasn't a good way to root Jellybean on the N7 with the stock firmware.

I had CWM recovery on the device, but can't get into it anymore, leading me to believe that it's gone.

As for the drivers, I haven't found a set that allows me to recognize the APX hardware. From the little information I have found on the issue, it looks like the bootloader has either become damaged or deleted... which could mean a hardbrick.

I really hope that's not the case...

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't own the latest Nexus 7, but for the Nexus 4 CWM is not compatible with OTA so flashing it using CWM will softbrick the device. Even if you had stock recovery, if the device was ever rooted or had files modified in its system partition, the OTA can still fail, there are lots of checks in this KitKat OTA.

You can use Universal Naked Driver to see if it work, which include APX drivers for Asus devices. Try to boot into the bootloader menu even if you can't see the screen, see if you can get fastboot to work.

Also you use Windows 7 64bit or Windows 8 you need to disable driver signature in order to install Universal Naked Driver since its an unsigned driver, search Google on how to do that.

You can try asking in the XDA forum where you might get more help with this. Also try holding the power button for a full minute, if not try plugging it in the charger for an hour, then try again.

So, to answer your original question, KitKat didn't brick your device, you did. The same reason as tons of other people who rooted their device and applying the OTA.

Last edited:

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The Naked Driver has identified the tablet as a Samsung Android Tablet, but ADB still doesn't pick it up. If I can get that step to move forward, I think I can get everything running again...

So, you're saying that because I had a custom recovery installed, KitKat removed it without replacing it with a stock recovery, hardbricking my tablet?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Naked Driver has identified the tablet as a Samsung Android Tablet, but ADB still doesn't pick it up. If I can get that step to move forward, I think I can get everything running again...

So, you're saying that because I had a custom recovery installed, KitKat removed it without replacing it with a stock recovery, hardbricking my tablet?

You can flash from custom but it's a slightly different process. Usually a good idea to be 100% stock when running OTA scripts or to at least put the stock boot image from the specific update the OTA is meant to upgrade from. Samsung Android is good, samsung drivers work fine for the nexus line. Do you know how to install the factory images via fastboot? (assuming you get it connected)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just took a look at the OTA package, and the updater-script does wipe recovery and install it with stock, it also patch the kernel and update the bootloader. I suspect something went wrong due to CWM around those area.

The thing is CWM does not support OTA and shouldn't be applied by it in the first place. TWRP can apply OTA, but there is no guarantee it will go smoothly either especially on a modified system.

You should try to boot it into the bootloader and see if fastboot work using the command: fastboot devices
From there you can flash the factory image.

On the LG nexus it has a download mode like Samsung phones, but I'm not aware Asus having something like that.

Even if it did wipe your CWM and failing to install stock recovery leaving the device with no recovery, the phone should still boot fine. There are a tons of thread in the XDA forum in every single Nexus section with people softbricking their device by flashing OTA with CWM.

You can't force Google to make their OTA for custom recoveries and non official softwares. If the phone is modified from stock in anyway, you should expect to have issues with OTA and not blame Google for anything. I have seen reports of OTA failing due to changes in build.prop or gps.conf. Security is a big deal, they could get a huge lawsuit out of it. However, when the OTA package failed with a 100% stock rom that's a different story, but is most of the time fixable with a factory reset in stock recovery.

I do think Google need to make OTA updates less phone bricking though, like refusing to install if it detects root or system changes at all.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I do think Google need to make OTA updates less phone bricking though, like refusing to install if it detects root or system changes at all.

^^THIS! Too many people can follow the instructions to unlock and root but not read enough to know never to accept an OTA once they do so without flashing back to stock, unrooting and locking it up. It's all too easy to unlock it again later.

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
You can flash from custom but it's a slightly different process. Usually a good idea to be 100% stock when running OTA scripts or to at least put the stock boot image from the specific update the OTA is meant to upgrade from. Samsung Android is good, samsung drivers work fine for the nexus line. Do you know how to install the factory images via fastboot? (assuming you get it connected)

I do, but I couldn't get ADB to recognize the device, even though it's recognized in my device manager. Is there something I'm missing here?

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

This is my main point. Since the update started downloading on its own, and only gave me the option to restart and install, it should have checked for this since it's a Nexus device. I guess I could have used the Home button to send the updater to the background, but the entire process was automated, otherwise, and it bricked my tablet. It's just frustrating that I had a tablet that worked perfectly a day ago, but now it seems like it can never be fixed an is a worthless paperweight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo