gmail app vs email app

bagou01

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Given i only get mails from one single @gmail address, and i'm kind of a maniac, i don't want unnecessary apps on my phone, so i was wondering : should i use gmail app and disable email app, or use email app and disable gmail app? which one is "the best" according to you?

thanks

R?gis

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It depends which you prefer. The email app will work with any address you give it. It attaches a signature by default. It doesn't thread messages. But it's easier to select a bunch of messages to delete or archive. I like the ease of deletion.

The gmail app threads messages which gives a more tied together inbox. It now hides advertisements with a little tag and also the social media stuff. So it gives a neater looking inbox but deleting and archiving is a little clunkier. :)

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
If your concern is cutting down on the number of apps you have then use one email app for both accounts. Your stock email app should allow you to add your gmail account and visa vis...on my phone and Nexus 7 tablet I'm using gmail for my personal and my work accounts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I recently consolidated my gmail account into K9 mail, but that was because I was already using K9 for two other email accounts (my real personal account and my work account) and because that was one more service I could un-check in Google Services. Otherwise I don't think it really matters.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
If you are only concerned with 1 gmail address by all means use the gmail app and ignore the generic email app. The gmail app is far more useful and integrated for gmail addresses.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
If you are only concerned with 1 gmail address by all means use the gmail app and ignore the generic email app. The gmail app is far more useful and integrated for gmail addresses.

Have you tried attaching a document to an in-process reply in a conversation thread in the Gmail app? Want to bold some text? Want to use Email Encryption or Signing from your mobile device? Want a universal inbox?

What exactly is your definition of "more useful...for Gmail addresses?"

The Gmail app is terrible. The only real benefit of it is that it is designed for the way Gmail organizes email (Stars, Labels, Conversations, etc.). Other than that, it's terrible. It was great back in 2010 or so when most devices had pretty bad stock email clients, but that is no longer the case. Productivity-wise, Gmail has fallen behind those clients and it's about as good as Apple Mail was on iOS 6 - maybe even worse than that...

On OEM devices, like those from Samsung, the Email App is far more powerful, more useful, more capable, and - yes - supports conversation threading (and text formatting, and certificates/signing/encryption, better notification and sync controls, etc.). Gmail exist primarily because Gmail usability is subpar in mail clients that aren't designed specifically for that service, which is why a whole market for Gmail clients sprung up on platforms like iOS before Google released it on that platform.

Gmail has to be used for consumer Gmail accounts because Google does no longer support EAS for those. If you want your email pushed to your phone you have no choice (or you can have it forwarded to an Outlook.com account), and if you want anything resembling decent organization you don't have much of a choice. Gmail through IMAP is a complete PITA especially if you have a lot of Labels or Nested Labels.

Even if I actually used Gmail, I'd still have it tied into the Email app as an IMAP address with manual Sync and only to download the past 3 days or less of email just so that I could have a better client in which to compose emails, or send secure email if that was necessary.

Gmail: Great Viewer - Poor Composer
Email: Great Viewer (though not as aesthetically pleasing on some devices) - Far superior composer to Gmail.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I was comparing the stock Android email app to the gmail app. The Samsung email app may very well work better. And the poster specifically was addressing those 2 apps. K9 and other 3rd party apps would also be options but that was not asked. In short, the stock Android email app continues to suck (IMHO).

markwny153

May 28, 2011
Visit site
This subject has been an interest of mine for some time now. I've stuck with Gmail app up to now for the push feature. However, I'm considering going to email app. Is there an easy way to create a new contact from the sender in gmail? I've seen mention of clicking on the senders picture in gmail to get the option of creating a contact, but that doesn't work for me. Perhaps I'm not clicking in the right place. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

azdenn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
As I become more comfortable with my Galaxy Note 4, I've just decided to disable the gmail app and consolidate my three main e'mail addresses under the "Email" app... I like how the app allows me to more finely manage how e'mail is or is not removed from the server. I like being able to turn OFF all push services and set a manual sych with server. I only want to see my e'mail arrive 2X per day...

The gmail app is terrible about composing... glad I made the switch: disabled & force stopped gmail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy