02-09-2014 08:26 AM
54 123
tools
    I think this is only true for photos taken directly from Google backup. I can upload just fine if the pic is local and and I'm not using the Photos app.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Ah okay, I'll check that out, thanks. I switched back to Dalvik because it was too annoying. But I don't think it worked whether I was starting out from the app or from Photos. I'll check from the gallery.
    12-10-2013 05:50 PM
    edit:
    12-10-2013 10:38 PM
    i switched to art today and i noticed my phone getting warm. which it really never did in the couple of weeks ive had it. will give it another day or 2
    12-11-2013 07:16 PM
    Can someone give me a brief rundown of the difference between art and dalvik? I just switched to art on my moto x and I can definitely feel a difference switching between apps that are open. But if the app is opening from a cold state it seems to definitely take longer than with dalvik. Facebook is painfully slow for example. I tend to close apps after I'm done using them...is that dumb? Is android efficient enough to not need to do that? If so, than I'll definitely stay on art!

Posted via Android Central App
    12-11-2013 07:46 PM
    The problem for me is that ART killed Whatsapp, so I had to go back to Davlik.
    12-11-2013 10:10 PM
    what kind of problems? ive been using whatsapp all day and havent noticed anything.
    12-11-2013 10:30 PM
    I tend to close apps after I'm done using them...is that dumb? Is android efficient enough to not need to do that? If so, than I'll definitely stay on art!
    In short, yes. Longer explanation follows. Note: I know you didn't say you used a task killer, but much of the logic here remains unchanged whether killing an app through a task killer or through the native android system or any other way.

There was a proliferation of task killers on Android in the early days because people carried over thinking from Windows that they need to kill apps. I think around version 4.0 it actually became impossible for one app to close another, but task killers still exist because people still think they need them (they're purely placebo, or worse - malicious). A simple google search for "task killer android" will surface some stupid apps, but also many articles about why they are bad. Here's a good summary:

When you leave an Android app, going back to your home screen or switching to another app, the app stays “running” in the background. In most cases, the app will be paused in the background, taking up no CPU or network resources. Some apps will continue using CPU and network resources in the background, of course – for example, music players, file-downloading programs, or apps that sync in the background.

When you go back to an app you were recently using, Android “unpauses” that app and you resume where you left off. This is fast because the app is still stored in your RAM and ready to be used again. Killing a task will regain the used RAM for you, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Empty RAM is useless. Full RAM is RAM that is being put to good use for caching apps. If Android needs more memory, it will force-quit an app that you haven’t used in a while – this all happens automatically, without installing any task killers.
    12-18-2013 09:07 AM
    It increased my battery life by 20% now my phone can last a day and a half (:
    Besides being power friendly, it also increased the speed of my phone. The transition between apps and the long lags have improved and disappeared (:
    However it does eat up large amounts of my storage space.
    But its a very nice virtual machine and I do recommend it if you want a more productive phone and a bit of curiosity.
    12-18-2013 06:45 PM
    What exactly is ART and Dalvik? If someone could explain in simple terms.
    12-19-2013 05:03 PM
    What exactly is ART and Dalvik? If someone could explain in simple terms.
    ART and Dalvik are two different runtimes currently for android, the latter being the one used for android for years but will be replaced with ART in the coming years.
    12-19-2013 07:33 PM
    So far, ART has improved my battery life tremendously but be warned that you cannot use ART on a custom ROM without flashing ART-compatible gapps.
    12-19-2013 07:37 PM
    Just switched to art on my nexus 4. Not seeing any significant speed improvements. Lag of the switcher button is still there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    12-20-2013 08:43 AM
    Opening and switching apps seems faster on my Nexus 7 2013.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    12-20-2013 02:18 PM
    So far, ART has improved my battery life tremendously but be warned that you cannot use ART on a custom ROM without flashing ART-compatible gapps.
    what do you mean "cannot"... with what consequence?. i'm running a custom rom and am using ART. i didn't check if my gapps were ART-compatible first.
    12-20-2013 07:06 PM
    what do you mean "cannot"... with what consequence?. i'm running a custom rom and am using ART. i didn't check if my gapps were ART-compatible first.
    Actually depends on the device but ART has been known to cause gapps to FC if the gapps package you're using isn't optimized for ART.
    12-20-2013 07:49 PM
    Actually depends on the device but ART has been known to cause gapps to FC if the gapps package you're using isn't optimized for ART.
    Welp no force closes over here. Running cm 11 nightlies

Posted via Android Central App
    12-20-2013 09:17 PM
    Battery life still horrible on the Nexus 4. I'd love it if it has the Samsung feature of capping the clock speed

12-23-2013 09:39 PM
    I've only had my N7 2013 32gb WiFi since Monday and I was impressed by the way it handled itself. Yesterday I switched to ART and now I'm WOW'ed. I can honestly compare it to the smoothness and responsiveness of my wife's iPad mini. Chrome is like day and night. Most of all my apps show a noticeable difference. NextIssue magazines are smooth. None of my apps are crashing. Went from a beautiful tablet to the BEST tablet out there.

Cannot, for the time being, elaborate on battery difference, but before ART I was getting very good results. Let's hope ART has improved on that also.

Happy Camper

B

edit: Sorry, one of my apps did crash. Quadrant Standard crashed ( gave an error )the first two attempts, but on the third it went all the way. Results went from low 5000's to low 8000's.

Antutu actually went from low 20000's to mid 19000's
    12-25-2013 09:23 AM
    Does anyone know of a way to underclock without root

12-25-2013 07:55 PM
    I made the switch. Response is much quicker. Only one app has issues and that is twc app which is poorly written anyway

12-26-2013 12:46 PM
    I liked ART better but I noticed I couldn't upload pics to facebook. Anyone else have this problem?
    I have that problem! I updated to ART today and had NO IDEA why I couldn't upload pictures to Facebook anymore. Is that why? That sucks. I had to tweet photos and they were added to Facebook that way. Is there any way to fix this? I uninstalled and reinstalled Facebook and it didn't work.
    12-29-2013 08:46 PM
    Although I'm really enjoying ART on my Nexus 7 2013, I can't say the same on my Canadian BellMobility HTC One.

Just got the 4.4.2 upgrade today, the option for ART vs Dalvik is nowhere to be found in the BellMobility Firmware.

Just wished BellMobility would leave things alone and just stick to their Bloatware and leave firmware options alone.

ART rocks

B
    01-31-2014 05:25 PM
    I'm wondering if a lot of the "improvements" are just placebo effect.
    02-01-2014 11:40 AM
    I'm wondering if a lot of the "improvements" are just placebo effect.
    They aren't. My Nexus 5 running ART loads apps faster than my Moto X still running Dalvik.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    02-01-2014 04:30 PM
    Definitely not placebo on Nexus 7. Both app starting and app switching are substantially faster using ART.

02-05-2014 05:09 PM
54 123