TIPS: Working Flash Player for Dolphin Browser on KitKat

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
An XDA member, surviveland, made a modification of the Flash Player app to work on KitKat., but you will need to use Dolphin Browser and it's Jetpack engine for it to work.

For instructions and download of the modified Flash Player: [Guide][Flash]How to play flash video on Android 4.4 Kitkat - xda-developers.

Note: Understand you will need to sideload an unofficial version of Flash Player, so it is up to you whether you want to take the risk.

Detailed instructions:
0. If you have an existing Adobe Flash Player app installed on your device, uninstall it first.

1. Install both Dolphin and its Jetpack engine from the Playstore:
Dolphin's Browser
Dolphin's Jetpack engine

2. Download and sideload the modified Flash Player APK
See 2nd step in the original thread for the download link

Go to the link above from your Android device and download "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" directly into your device.

When the download is done, open the the "Downloads" app in your App Drawer, tap on "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" to install it.

Enabling sideloading: If you haven't allowed sideloading on your device, instead of installing the app, it will pop up a security warning window, on it tap on "Settings" which will bring you to the "Settings -> Security" screen. Scroll down and check to enable "Unknown sources". Press Back to go back to the "Downloads" app, then tap on "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" again to install. (see 1st screenshot below)
Make sure to leave "Verify apps" enabled so Google can scan sideloaded apps for virus and malware.

3. Open Dolphin browser app, go into Setting, make sure these three things are enabled:
-Dolphin Jetpack
-Desktop mode (generally websites only display Flash videos in desktop mode)
-Flash Player (in Web Content menu)
(see 2nd and 3rd screenshot below)

I personally don't use Dolphin browser or Flash, so I only tested this briefly. In Dolphin browser, you will probably want to set Flash Player to "Always Enabled" (instead of On Demand) for best results.

Attachments

• sideload.jpg
    sideload.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 170
  • settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 162
  • flash.jpg
    flash.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Zetaprime

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! This works on my 2013 N7 w/ 4.4. Now all someone has do do is come up with a way to make this work with Firefox and I'll be 100% satisfied. But this is a giant step in the right direction.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
YES! Works on my Nexus 5. Now I can watch Amazon prime videos while working out again! Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
An XDA member, surviveland, made a modification of the Flash Player app to work on KitKat., but you will need to use Dolphin Browser and it's Jetpack engine for it to work.

For instructions and download of the modified Flash Player: [Guide][Flash]How to play flash video on Android 4.4 Kitkat - xda-developers.

Note: Understand you will need to sideload an unofficial version of Flash Player, so it is up to you whether you want to task the risk.

Detailed instructions:
0. If you have an existing Adobe Flash Player app installed on your device, uninstall it first.

1. Install both Dolphin and its Jetpack engine from the Playstore:
Dolphin's Browser
Dolphin's Jetpack engine

2. Download and sideload the modified Flash Player APK
See 2nd step in the original thread for the download link

Go to the link above from your Android device and download "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" directly into your device.

When the download is done, open the the "Downloads" app in your App Drawer, tap on "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" to install it.

Enabling sideloading: If you haven't allowed sideloading on your device, instead of installing the app, it will pop up a security warning window, on it tap on "Settings" which will bring you to the "Settings -> Security" screen. Scroll down and check to enable "Unknown sources". Press Back to go back to the "Downloads" app, then tap on "Adobe Flash Player 11.1.apk" again to install. (see 1st screenshot below)
Make sure to leave "Verify apps" enabled so Google can scan sideloaded apps for virus and malware.

3. Open Dolphin browser app, go into Setting, make sure these three things are enabled:
-Dolphin Jetpack
-Desktop mode (generally websites only display Flash videos in desktop mode)
-Flash Player (in Web Content menu)
(see 2nd and 3rd screenshot below)

I personally don't use Dolphin browser or Flash, so I only tested this briefly. In Dolphin browser, you will probably want to set Flash Player to "Always Enabled" (instead of On Demand) for best results.

This works perfectly! Thank you!

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know I could watch Amazon Prime video using Dolphin.... thanks!
Yep, that's the only reason I have even been looking for this. I don't otherwise need flash on my phone. But Amazon refuses to release an Instant Video app on Android so this is the next best thing.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Yep, that's the only reason I have even been looking for this. I don't otherwise need flash on my phone. But Amazon refuses to release an Instant Video app on Android so this is the next best thing.
Well because they want you to buy their tablet, especially with the Cyber Monday sale of the Kindle. But I'll skip even at that price. The device is just so locked down.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Well because they want you to buy their tablet, especially with the Cyber Monday sale of the Kindle. But I'll skip even at that price. The device is just so locked down.
I agree but the perplexing thing is that Amazon has an instant video app for iOS! I would say that they don't think they can chip away at Apple fans but then again they got that ad going poking fun of the iPad air.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Zetaprime

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
How do you use Amazon Prime on an Android Device. I did the Flash install so it works on Dolphin Browser for Youtube and most other sites, but with aforementioned browser the Amazon site tells me it needs Silverlight, which is not available for Android devices.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
How do you use Amazon Prime on an Android Device. I did the Flash install so it works on Dolphin Browser for Youtube and most other sites, but with aforementioned browser the Amazon site tells me it needs Silverlight, which is not available for Android devices.
Hmm, it doesn't do that for me. Did you set Flash to "on demand" rather than "always on?" That might make a difference. Also, IIRC, there is a small button somewhere on the interface to tell Amazon to use flash if Silverlight is unavailable.

Zetaprime

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, it doesn't do that for me. Did you set Flash to "on demand" rather than "always on?" That might make a difference. Also, IIRC, there is a small button somewhere on the interface to tell Amazon to use flash if Silverlight is unavailable.

Maybe I didn't see that small button. Will try again and look for that button.

craftyjag

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Can someone give a little advice to me because I'm feeling a little confused here. I'm not someone who knows all the ins and outs of my gadgets but I usually do well just following the directions on the forums. I did have flash working on my Nexus 10 before the update so I don't have trouble with the basic concept. Here's where my trouble is: I uninstalled flash, downloaded the new version, downloaded Jetpack, enabled desktop, but when I try to find where to enable Jetpack, the option isn't there. According to every faq I see I should have a "more" option when I hit the menu, but I do not. My only options under menu are "share page, downloads, addons, bookmarks, settings, exit." My Dolphin Browser is up to date, so what am I missing? I've looked through all the options in settings but no Jetpack. Thanks for any help you can provide.

vadimladon

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I installed Puffin Browser Free, and it works perfectly, without even needing to install Flash Player at all! The free version states that the Flash plug-in works only between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., but once I got it working during those hours, it now works 24/7. Try it! It works!

Zetaprime

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
BTW, Puffin Browser comes with Flash 11.2.202.258 built-in! No need to install any Flash archive. I use a Nexus 4 KitKat 4.4.2!

That Flash is not built in. Puffin processes Flash content on their servers. Performance is not as good as running Flash on your device.

Zetaprime

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to know what Dolphin does that allows Flash to work that Firefox doesn't. Maybe someone could fix Firefox to work since its source is available and could be modified.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

LordChilde

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
KitKat? Adobe Flash APK is incompatible with 4.2.2 - it is on my Fonepad 7 anyway. Dolphin Jetpack is also incompatible - cannot install it, direct or side-load.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey