android updater sucks

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyone and their mama got the 4.4.2 update ota based on what i read here, but my nexus 7 (2013) does not so far.

I own all 3 os, bb10, ios, android and android is the worst for software update. When they say it is available, then it should be for all people, just like ios.

Bb10 update is based on carrier so it sucks that one carrier may get it but one does not (it is you, at&t), but when they say it is available, then all people get it, so at least no favorites like android.

I understand i can sideload but i dont want to do that.

Thats my rant for today.

Thank you for reading

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya I have a N7 2012 N7 2013 and a N5 and im still on 4.4 on all of them and i live on the east coast.. I to don't want to side load

Everyone and their mama got the 4.4.2 update ota based on what i read here, but my nexus 7 (2013) does not so far.

I own all 3 os, bb10, ios, android and android is the worst for software update. When they say it is available, then it should be for all people, just like ios.

Bb10 update is based on carrier so it sucks that one carrier may get it but one does not (it is you, at&t), but when they say it is available, then all people get it, so at least no favorites like android.

I understand i can sideload but i dont want to do that.

Thats my rant for today.

Thank you for reading

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
All folks that have 4.4.2 installed on their phones got them sideloaded...didn't get them OTA. Some might've gotten them OTA but it's a very small number. My phone doesn't have 4.4.1 yet and I'm waiting for the update OTA.

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe if Google only have 1% confidence in their updates, it's wise to wait and not to sideload? just a thought!

ajpri

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Staged roll outs are good. Such as when there was an issue with 4.4.1, the rollout could be halted before widespread issues.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)

DirtyHarree

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I got my 4.4.2 OTA last night on my Nexus 4. For the initial 4.4, I had to wait about 5-7 says after the announced release before it showed up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

That's not even remotely true. Very few have gotten 4.4.2 so far. Still in the hands of the 1%. Assuming all goes well it will roll out in a bit to a larger group, then after a bit the rest of us. Do you want to be 1 of the guinea pigs in the first batch? I haven't even gotten 4.4.1 on my Nexus 5 and it is just as well as 4.4.2 is more or less a bug fix.

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Why doesn't Google follow the Apple model and allow you to pull the update manually if you want to or give you the ability to install it via a computer but do so easily via a supported software (not dev tools)? I just switched over from being an iPhone owner for the last 6 years and I am very confused and annoyed that I am still waiting.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not even going to try to participate in this inane thread. But just to answer the question below.

Why doesn't Google follow the Apple model and allow you to pull the update manually if you want to or give you the ability to install it via a computer but do so easily via a supported software (not dev tools)? I just switched over from being an iPhone owner for the last 6 years and I am very confused and annoyed that I am still waiting.
You can install it manually using adb sideload. Download the OTA package, reboot into recovery, install usb driver for your device, adb sideload the OTA.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Getting tired of these posts about people having to wait a few short days to see an OTA. Google has always done staged roll outs to ensure everything is going smoothly.

Sideloading is super easy and if you have to have it right now it's the only option.

It's a Nexus, it's meant to be tinkered with.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
It IS available for all people. Your complaint is that it isn't available for everyone at the same time via YOUR chosen method (OTA). You don't want to sideload, don't, but you don't get to complain that the update isn't available for everyone when it actually is.

I hear ya I have a N7 2012 N7 2013 and a N5 and im still on 4.4 on all of them and i live on the east coast.. I to don't want to side load
So... you did get updates for your N7s in the last month (4.3 to 4.4).

Google doesn't follow "the apple model" because Google isn't Apple. But it DOES allow you to pull and install the update manually, and that process IS easy - just because it's in developer options doesn't mean it's complicated. If you want it now, sideload. If you want to wait, then wait.

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I must have hit a nerve with my question and that wasn't my intentions. Thank you for the replies.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
It is weird how they do the OTA, my wife's N7 2012 got the 4.4 a week before my N7 2012, but today I got the 4.4.2 OTA while hers still on 4.4 - I think they pull who is getting the update out of a hat

Sent from planet earth

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Didn't you read the interview with the Google engineer a couple weeks ago? He explained the whole rollout process, it's very enlightening.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Check this video, it goes step by step to how to apply the OTA package. The main page of androidcentral have the article with the OTA links.

Thank you! I sideloaded 4.4.2 onto my N5 last night from my Mac and it went smoothly. Most of the instructions were for Windows machines but managed to find one that explained how to do it on the Mac.