Android OS battery drain with 4.4.2

edwards653

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks, I have a 2013 n7 and a n5. Both having issues with android os causing higher than normal battery drain, around 45% or so. Both are running 4.4.2 with gel. Any ideas?

Posted via Android Central App

Robert Reardon

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
No fix unfortunately but the same issue here with the Nexus 5. My phone burned through 85% of batter overnight with Wi-fi, 4G, location services and blue tooth all turned off. It was previously going through 1-2% overnight. Updated to 4.4.2 yesterday morning.

neiander

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Really significant increase in battery drain since 4.4.2.
I am confident they will fix soon.

but yeah, other than that, i'm cool with the update.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It might not even be 4.4.2
I'm on 4.3 and my phone is down to 66% after only 5 hours. About 30 minutes of screen time

Posted via Android Central App

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 7 (2012) seems to be depleting at the same rate it did before the update. Could it be an app not playing nicely with the update ?

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My battery is draining much faster with 4.4.2 on the Nexus 5. I tweaked it on 4.4 and I was happy with the performance but 4.4.2 has made it worse. I hardly used my phone yesterday because I had a busy day and around 7pm (after 12 hours since charging), my battery level dropped to about 20%. Very disappointed after the update.

Ilia1986

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure it's Android OS and not Google play services? It's usually the latter which causes battery drain problems for many people (me included) recently.

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure it's Android OS and not Google play services? It's usually the latter which causes battery drain problems for many people (me included) recently.

Have you turned off any services? If so, which ones? I am very new to Android and have owned iPhones for the last 6 years and I am trying to figure all of these out. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, the best thing i can offer is check what is draining your battery with GSam Battery Monitor, it is free by the way :) The app will always be running in the background, and from time to time check what is draining your battery, it gives lots of details of what can be waking up your phone from sleep etc. It should look like this:

104pb3l.jpg
adj2bs.jpg

What was waking my phone up was Google+, i removed it and i have no more battery drains. Post your results here, i can probably try and help.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I have see a major gain in Battery Life that increase on my Nexus 5 phone at least when I turned on ART under 4.4.2. That has added a few hours of extra life. I haven't noticed any differences with my Nexus 7 (2012) with 4.4.2.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've just disabled Google+ (heck, I don't even have a G+ account) and the Google app (I guess it's the Google search app).

I'm thinking about disabling Google Play Music as well. Anyone here have a preferred media player?

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
My Moto X is burning out the battery like crazy after 4.4 update. I need to charge it twice a day! OMG!

I have Moto X on AT&T and I'm not having that issue. My battery life is a tad less than the 4.4 update, but nothing I can't live with. I never have to charge mine more than once a day and often go two days if I only use it for the basics, like e-mail and texting and as a phone. The only problem I'm having is the e-mail issue, where deleting e-mail on the phone deletes it off the server, no matter what setting I choose.

rawr66

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I was getting 5-7 hours of on screen time with around 30 hours of use on my moto g with 4.3.1. Updated to 4.4.2 yesterday and I could barely get 4 hours on screen, plus it drained significantly faster during standby mode.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had 4.4.2 on my UK Moto G for nearly a week. Had similar problems for the first couple of days with standby battery usage being very high but it has settled down now and I'm back to a 1.5 to 2 days between charges and around 6 sometimes 7 hours screen on time. I did factory reset after the update, and a reboot after the first day of silly battery drain, plus a single complete drain recharge cycle seems to have cured the issue. Location services are what is causing highest wake-ups for me - still not happy with how long the phone is kept awake, but can't really complain about the battery life