Signal issues with KK 4.4.2

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having an issue with Kangakat 4.4.2 v6.0 version on my i337 GS4.

My signal meter on LTE randomly drops to 1 bar, and even sometime it will drop to no bars which show a 0 dBm. Then go back up to 3 or 4 bars.

This happens at my house, where using a Jellybean 4.3 GE rom don't do this. Matter of fact today I had my wife's iPhone 5 sitting right next to mine, and my phone was dropping to 1 bar at -89 dBm, then to 0, all the while my wife's iPhone had full bars of LTE.

I've tried the MF3, MJ9 and MK2 basebands and all do the same thing, although MF3 seems to do it a little less. I don't have this issue using a stock 4.3 ROM I've been using for awhile before trying out 4.4.2.

Anyone have any clues and came across this?

I swear if I had better eyes and could read a small screen I would go buy an iPhone 5S.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm having an issue with Kangakat 4.4.2 v6.0 version on my i337 GS4.

Anyone have any clues and came across this?
You're running an unsupported ROM (KangKat), with an unsupported version of Android (4.4.2 for GS4, the hardware drivers for which aren't widely available/tested yet), and mix-matching radios; that's the very definition of bleeding-edge; honestly, you should not be surprised things aren't working right -- no different from all the iPhone 5 guys that went to iOS7 beta back in June/July; lots of things didn't work for them, either.

Your problem could stem from the same one the T989 (T-Mo GS2) has; unless you have the official JB radio, no version of JB 4.2x or above works [properly] on that phone (the radio part -- the OS is fine). KK probably has slightly different requirements from all your listed radios (JB radios, I presume). If that's the case, the only solution is to get a KK radio, but I don't know that there's any such beast available yet. Personally, I would install a stable JB 4.3 ROM on my GS4 and wait a couple of months for KK; granted, my primary consideration is a +99% working device.

If you're dead-set on KK, I recommend either AOSP or CM11 with the latest radio for your phone -- that may get you to a happy place since neither OS really deviates from vanilla Android (AOSP is vanilla Android) and so you have less variables (drivers, packages, etc.) to contend with, thus being more forgivable of a mixed environment.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
You're running an unsupported ROM (KangKat), with an unsupported version of Android (4.4.2 for GS4, the hardware drivers for which aren't widely available/tested yet), and mix-matching radios; that's the very definition of bleeding-edge; honestly, you should not be surprised things aren't working right -- no different from all the iPhone 5 guys that went to iOS7 beta back in June/July; lots of things didn't work for them, either.

Your problem could stem from the same one the T989 (T-Mo GS2) has; unless you have the official JB radio, no version of JB 4.2x or above works [properly] on that phone (the radio part -- the OS is fine). KK probably has slightly different requirements from all your listed radios (JB radios, I presume). If that's the case, the only solution is to get a KK radio, but I don't know that there's any such beast available yet. Personally, I would install a stable JB 4.3 ROM on my GS4 and wait a couple of months for KK; granted, my primary consideration is a +99% working device.

If you're dead-set on KK, I recommend either AOSP or CM11 with the latest radio for your phone -- that may get you to a happy place since neither OS really deviates from vanilla Android (AOSP is vanilla Android) and so you have less variables (drivers, packages, etc.) to contend with, thus being more forgivable of a mixed environment.

Well the 4.4.2 GE Version I am using currently was written for the GS4 GE device. So I am running the right version for my phone, but as you said, I am using an AT&T baseband.

I've ran GE edition ROMs 4.2.2, 4.3, and now with 4.4.2. 4.4.2 is the only rom which is giving me signal drops, the other GE editions worked with whatever i337 baseband I was using.

Unfortunately ya have to run a baseband written for the phone. I could easily get the baseband that comes with 4.4.2 for the actual GS4 GE edition phone, but we all know that won't work on a non-GE edition GS4.

Personally I think it is fixable, I just have to get to the root cause. Tomorrow I am going to try putting on KT's kernel and see how that goes, although I can't see how a different kernel would resolve the issue, but who knows.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well the 4.4.2 GE Version I am using currently was written for the GS4 GE device. So I am running the right version for my phone, but as you said, I am using an AT&T baseband.

I've ran GE edition ROMs 4.2.2, 4.3, and now with 4.4.2. 4.4.2 is the only rom which is giving me signal drops, the other GE editions worked with whatever i337 baseband I was using.

Unfortunately ya have to run a baseband written for the phone. I could easily get the baseband that comes with 4.4.2 for the actual GS4 GE edition phone, but we all know that won't work on a non-GE edition GS4.

Personally I think it is fixable, I just have to get to the root cause. Tomorrow I am going to try putting on KT's kernel and see how that goes, although I can't see how a different kernel would resolve the issue, but who knows.
OK, things are clearer now ;)

If you have the time, and KT's kernel doesn't do it, try one of the CM11 nightlies (stock) with various radios and see what happens... let's see if it's a ROM issue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae