Always Listening... How much is it really listening!

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So yesterday on the Moto X i was reading through some posts via tapatalk. I was looking into the Nexus 5. During my readings i was telling my wife how hungry i was. I believe my exact words were "I'm starving, I cant believe im hungry again. We just ate at 7". So now i switch over to youtube to check out some nexus 5 vs moto x videos. Low and behold the first add that pops up is a restaurant add, and it said "are you hungry, stop into" i forget the rest. Just find it odd that im talking about food and being hungry and my first add is about a restaurant. I did even search food of any sort on my phone. Just a thought.

Last edited:

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Take that as your phone has feelings for you and doesn't want you to be uncomfortable. Your phone loves you...

I wouldn't worry about it unless your planning a terroist attack. Then in which case I hope you go to jail. Haha

Sent from my SGH-S959G using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Creepy, isn't it? I don't know if the Nexus 5 listens as much as the Moto X does though. I turned off a lot of its monitoring software.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Google Settings -> Ads -> Opt out

sent via my Le Motonovo X

But this only opts you out of interest based ads. I'm still going to be receiving ads but they will not be geared toward my interests. The question is how did they know i was talking about being hungry and then gear an ad towards that?????? Its not like i was searching for food, or restaurants when that ad popped up.

I wouldn't doubt that these phones are "always" listening and storing key phrases of what you say at any given time so that it can gear ads in your direction. Ads make a lot of money, people do sneaky things for money!

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I would put it down to coincidence. Only the MotoX have low powered cpu for listening features while off, if other phones do this it would suck up the battery and you would see more data usage. I think the only time you would be concerned if you have malware installed or making a call which is inevitably recorded for your protection, allegedly.

If you are concerned you can disable Google Search and Touchless Control so the search function no longer work, or use a Nexus and install an open source custom rom. Even if something like it is hidden in the MotoX closed source I think someone would eventually find out, they wouldn't take that chance for bad PR.

But maybe the industry is trying to capitalize on this so I wouldn't rule it out: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/23/apple-investigating-mood-based-ad-delivery-system.

Post on Facebook: sad face :( -> Ads: Prozac subscription.

sent via my Le Motonovo X

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox