Sprint Galaxy S4: Kitkat Update Screen Problem

LargeInTheMargin

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 Kitkat Update Screen Problem

Solution - I wiped my phone and installed Touchdown for work email. Phone works just fine now, and bonus now I don't have to lock my whole phone anymore, just my email :)

I may go back to the Stock email app if/when samsung puts out a fix, but Touchdown seems to work fine for now.

I see above someone mentions GPS as a possible culprit, my GPS was off the whole time so that wasn't the problem in my case.

Quincy Renfroe

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

@quincy. That might work to. But for me watchon was the problem. I still have the personal message turned on. Works like a charm.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Mobile Nations mobile app
I guess if one version doesn't work they have another to fall back on. :)

OneSkyPix

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

I had the same issue. I changed my lock screen to "Clock," as suggested, and it seems to have worked. (I also turned off the GPS, just in case, for now.) Anyone else notice a SEVERE battery drain issue? Pulled my phone off the charger at 100% this morning and my phone was already at 18% just a few minutes ago. Sounds like this update has done a number on our phones, that's for sure!

Twitjohn

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Yes battery deteriorated since update to 20% after 10hours.normally this would be 50% with 4.3

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Mobile Nations mobile app

drcubanb

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

I'll make this quick and sweet for anyone that is encountering the black screen problem.

You should turn off your personal message.
Go to Setting > Lock Screen > Lock Screen Widgets > Clock or Personal Message > Clock

This will fix the delay / sleeping of your phone.

Currently this is the only quick fix before a patch is made.

Thanks.

Mine already had clock activated, even though it doesn't show when I lock the screen. GPS off doesn't help. And the Sprint version of my GS4 will not allow me to disable WatchOn. So I guess I'm screwed. Any other ideas?

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Mine only had the clock too. I think essentially what everyone's achieving at this point is to try to change something on the lock screen. Somehow it reminds the damn thing that it's still there. It's like it forgot to work. Mine was doing this until I ADDED a personal message. Now it's fine, or at least until the next reboot. Sorry if it's not clear enough...just woke up 5 minutes ago and haven't had any coffee yet.

Posted via Android Central App

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

I thought I might add, this only happens after the "big" charge overnight.

Quincy Renfroe

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Mine already had clock activated, even though it doesn't show when I lock the screen. GPS off doesn't help. And the Sprint version of my GS4 will not allow me to disable WatchOn. So I guess I'm screwed. Any other ideas?

You sure you don't have any customization done to the lock screen? Excluding background pictures.

Quincy Renfroe

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

I had the same issue. I changed my lock screen to "Clock," as suggested, and it seems to have worked. (I also turned off the GPS, just in case, for now.) Anyone else notice a SEVERE battery drain issue? Pulled my phone off the charger at 100% this morning and my phone was already at 18% just a few minutes ago. Sounds like this update has done a number on our phones, that's for sure!
To sum it up. YES.

Scott Wittig

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

Mine said " turn off " WatchOn instead. I did that and it did not ask me to reinstall, but, I rebooted phone and It worked! No more lag.

sreepadkamath

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

All, I did a hard reset (press volume, menu and lock buttons) of android and wiped/loaded factory setting. Must say the phone is behaving extremely well like how it should be for good 4 days now... This is the first time in 2 months after the update that it seems to have sorted the issues.

Highly recommend you do a hard reset using wipe/load factory setting... Enjoy...

Khashayar Youssefi

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

This is the setting my phone was originally on and I still had the problem with my Home Screen not turning on when I pressed the power button.

JLTEEXO

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Have anyone found a solution yet? I'm experiencing the same problem :( hate this 4.4 update with a passion!! It really messes up my s4!!

richarddmetcalfe

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site

I think I solved the problem with the black screen after the update:
It is caused by the old(4.3) installation of WatchOn.Actions:
- go to settings>applications> Tab "ALL"
-find "Samsung WatchOn" tap on the app name
-select disable (or something that means disable, I have a Dutch version, so not sure what it exactly says in englisch it is NOT THE STOP button) it will ask you if you want to rol back to the factory version of the app. Select YES
-Now restart your device
- go to settings>applications> Tab "disabled" the last Tab
-find "Samsung WatchOn" tap on the app name
-select "enable"
And WatchOn will be reinstalled with the proper functions supporting the new lockscreen. I have no problem since.

This has worked for me, thank you. So frustrating that Samsung/Google push updates that fail immediately. I'm no Apple fanboy but this type of thing never happens with my iPad or iPhone.

vbomb2000

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Same experience here, tried hard reset, removed most apps, turned off gps, tried watchon disable/enable.... this is brutal, wish I never updated to kitkat.... I noticed problem only occurs when memory used hits above 1.1gb... which usually happens about 4h after a restart

Last edited:

vbomb2000

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Removing my email and calendar widgets have made a difference, less ram used, but now I'm making sacrifices for buggy os update...

BC13904

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
It's an unfortunate relief to find this thread today as I've experienced the same issues including slow/or no activation using power and/or home button, extreme lag, sudden power off, and rapid battery drain...and my issues also stem from the day I updated the OS. I have to pull the battery out and reboot my phone 5-6 times a day which is first unbelievably frustrating, and second not practical, especially because I use my phone for work. I've been contemplating taking my phone to Sprint but after reading everyone's responses, that may be a dead end. I've made the changes recommended by you all so hopefully that makes a difference. Hopefully this thread will remain active until a more permanent solution is discovered. I've been a 10 year+ Sprint loyal customer...but I won't be to weather this issue much longer....

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I've had this same problem. I went to sprint and they were able to order a new S4. And it actually worked fine for a few days. Then suddenly seemingly out of the blue I noticed a notification on the status bar "updating Samsung Software." Right after that moment the phone reverted back to having the same issue. There are periods of 5 min. where the screen will not come on. If someone calls during that time I know someone is calling but I can't answer it and I don't know who is calling. I can either wait for the screen to come on in a few min. or take out the battery and put it back. That still takes 3-5 min.

BC13904

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, update to my problem... After unsuccessful attempts at updating, deleting, and closing everything once or twice, I finally went into a Sprint store where they related that I needed a factory reset. I went home and after much thought (I didn't want the hassle of reloading my phone...) I went ahead and reset it. I'm happy to report that I'm on day 5 and I've had zero lag, crashing, black screens, battery drain, etc. In fact, I can actually make it a whole day now without charging it, and my 10 reboots a day are over. Although I probably just jinxed it, my problems seem to be gone...and the reload wasn't nearly as painful as I was anticipating....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair